[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sonic Youth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1401x788-104077369.jpg (208 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-104077369.jpg
208 KB, 1401x788
What album does one begin with?
>>
Evol, then Sister, then stop.
>>
>>60650798
Day dream nation
>>
Sister
>>
If you're entry level/pleb, then Daydream Nation, Sister, or Goo.

If you're already familiar with noise rock or had an edgy teen phase and can deal with the avant garde, then you can start at the beginning
>>
Confusion is Sex.
>>
Sister then Daydream
>>
Their worst, just like any other /mu/ contrarian would
>>
>>60650856
Pablo Honey is their only good album
>>
>>60650798
this beauty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8OJ6f_Nkdw
>>
>>60650885
hmm okay den
>>
>>60650798
Well their best album is Washing Machine, but maybe try Daydream Nation first, or Dirty if you want a more conventional rock sound.
>>
File: 2714721f.jpg (220 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
2714721f.jpg
220 KB, 1500x1500
>listening to pic related for the first time
>hear that Scaruffi give this an 8/10
>starts off a little slow
>Brave Men Run comes on
>can't help but rock out right along with the members of Sonic Youth
>thisishellafuckinepic.jpg
>really enjoying myself, really loving the guitar work
>about a minute and a half Kim comes on
>completely kills my vibe
>no longer interested in the album

You bros have any tips for enduring through the Kim parts? Should I just skip them?
>>
>>60651165
you just have to let them grow on you as you will eventually realize how essential her contribution is.
>>
>>60651165
You need to listen to the good albums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzsjWKVAy2Q
>>
>>60651224
it's a meme senpai
>>
Just start chronologically. You won't really find an album that tells you "Hey, THIS is Sonic Youth", because of how varied SY's output is. But if you really want an starting point, start with Sister. No, I'm not a contrarian, but you can't deny Daydream Nation is not a good starting point, as much as I like it.

Don't forget to check Murray Street and Confusion is Sex during your journey.

Also, don't forget about the EPs (specially the s/t and Kill Yr. Idols), the Ciccone Youth album, their Covers album (really great imo) and the Sonic Youth Recordings (9 albums I think?)
>>
>>60651872
>you can't deny Daydream Nation is not a good starting point,
What the fuck are you talking about? Teenage Riot is their most accessible and popular song ever.
>>
>>60650807
ThiS
>>
>>60650798
I started with Washing Machine and I'm doing pretty fine now, steady.
>>
>>60651165
Bagooli gabagoo
>>
Just listen to the first six in order then stop
>>
>>60650856
P4K drones think NYC Ghosts & Flowers is their worst, though, when it's actually one of their best, so going for the "worst" actually wouldn't be such a bad idea.
>>
Listen to everything up to Daydream Nation, in that order.

Ignore what anybody else says.
>>
>>60652923
I also recommend Dirty and Goo tho
>>
>>60650798
Bad Moon Rising
>>
>hating on Washing Machine, Ghost and Flowers and Murray Street
>>
>>60653053
Yeah I didn't mean to dismiss everything after DDN, I'm just saying OP should really listen to those first six albums before anything else to see how they develop into finding their sound.
>>
File: beer_cheers.jpg (70 KB, 565x376) Image search: [Google]
beer_cheers.jpg
70 KB, 565x376
>>60655350
fair enough man

cheers
>>
I started with Confusion is Sex but I'm also a pretty terrible person, just letting you know
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.