[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey I study psychology and we need to do an experiment. Our idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: collage.jpg (376 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
376 KB, 1000x1000
Hey I study psychology and we need to do an experiment. Our idea is as follows:

The control group does a test which measures your concentration.

For our experimental group, we do the same but with music playing in the background. What music could possibly make a significant difference between the performance of both groups?

Instrumental metal? Please help us out with some suggestions.

Pic related is an old 5x5
>>
Psych here, try some grindcore and probably add more experimental groups with something calmer line Eno's music for Airports
>>
>>60641209
We can only have one control group and one exp group, it's just a given. Grindcore.. Well, we don't want people to run out screamung, but thanks anyways
>>
>>60641197
4x4 of course :3
>>
>>60641197
if the concentration test uses verbal stimuli use music with lyrics in your native language, so it causes interference

Also probably the type of music isn't as important as the volume in which it's played or if the participants have already listened to it or not

you could also use mozart music to be more faithfull to the classical "mozart effect" paradigm and stuff like that
>>
psych here i fucking hate myself for choosing psych
>>
>>60641386
m8, at least we have some variety of fields to choose
please look at the bright side of this
; ;
>>
>>60641369
We don't use verbal stimuli because we don't want to measure interference. It's a good point, however.

As for the type of music, yes we want to use music that no one knows.

As for the Mozart effect, that has been done many-a times before by students, so we want to avoid that.

What suggestions do you have as for the music? As I said before, we don't want people running out with their arms up because they just heard some grindcore.

What do you think of instrumental metal?
>>
>>60641386
But anon, why? Don't you like helping people out with their shit?
>>
>>60641386
psych is good as one of a double major, but if you only do psych you're fucked

you try to go towards the hard science psych path, with neuroscience or cogsci

>>60641425
do glitch, something like alva noto feels very foreign to the average people but it's not brutal shit like metal
>>
Maybe something like The Caretaker? Personally for me "An Empty Bliss.." was quite jarring because it sounded fairly "normal" but had at the same time was quite different and bizarre.
>>
>>60641425
to be honest, i don't think the music genre is that relevant but thats my opinion, i'm not a researcher on that field

I guess you could try to test the effect of unpredictable music, that should lower the task performance. Maybe try to find a song with an unusual tempo and with some noises (unharmonic melodies) incorporated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9mg4KHqRPw

If you want to get increased performance try to use usual stable rhythms and regular melodies ( harmonic sounds)

don't worry too much, undergrad research projects never get proper results anyway :^)
>>
>>60641566
Thanks for the info.

I'll look at the options, we'll see what comes out of this.

Yes, the control group and exp group consist of only 16 people each so yeah proper results are not expected indeed.
>>
>>60641197
harsh noise like merzbow would make people go insane trying to concentrate
brian eno literally made music with its purpose being background music
there you go
>>
>>60641197
play the album 'free psychedelic poster inside' by intersystems to the exp group
trust me
>>
>>60641451
>you try to go towards the hard science psych path, with neuroscience or cogsci

are social services/justice department jobs dead in america?
>>
>>60641197
Anything else on there like Mac/MGMT/Tijuana Panthers
>>
>>60641948
There's way too much competition for those jobs
>>
>>60641964
come to australia then, there are plenty
mainly because it's an attractive area for people who like to "help people :+)" but are useless at everything else - can't handle people who'll abuse them, can't write reports etc. etc.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.