[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>start trying to compose decent music >compose okay music,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: wojak gif.gif (509 KB, 700x827) Image search: [Google]
wojak gif.gif
509 KB, 700x827
>start trying to compose decent music
>compose okay music, never finish a damn song
>start with another, save the file to my computer, and repeat the cycle

what do i do, /mu/? Everything i write feels amateurish.
>>
I'm right there with you
>>
>>60637720
this is what i do
you just need to flesh it out so it doesnt suck, i mean maybe he says this to sound deep and cool but michael gira says that nothing he makes feels finished and thats fine
and amateurishness/mediocrity is subjective, i mean metal and rap is boring to me but amazing to others
and even if it is it just takes time to get better
>>
>>60637808
by flesh out i mean it just has to have a beginning and end, and all you really have to do is put it into audacity or something and fade it in and then fade it out
>>
no shit its gonna be amateurish, you're a fucking amateur

your shit isn't gonna sound good until you've been making lame shit for a couple years. that's why you have to actually enjoy the process, and not just the result.
>>
>>60637720
Just practice my man. Shti is tough at first but you'll get better.
I believe in you.
>>
Learn music theory. If you understand how music works, writing it comes much easier. Do this and i promise you will make music better than you have before
>>
>>60637720
same desu
>>
>>60638269
I'm not OP, but like him and many I do the same. I've got grade 6 drums, and grade 2 violin, still get his problem though. And sometimes it takes me FOREVER to get the right sounding instrument/drum
>>
pretty much rinse, repeat this process, writing a bunch of mostly garbage until you hit a few songs that sound decent. some might be better than you realize, some worse -- it's tough to not be too hard on yourself and yet ironically tough to not overindulge.

its why so many bands say they have 30+ songs written for an album and only end up with 8-11 on the final cut. and yeah man, you're still an amateur, gotta enjoy that process and bask in the shit
>>
>>60638673

This. Also finish your songs. It's good to practice completing a song, no matter how rough. Build the discipline
>>
>>60637720
Just keep on going until you get better. To speed up the problem learn and use theory to diagnose your problems.
>>
>>60637720
Pick a key/scale/chord progression/mode and just jam op ideas will come flowing trust me
>>
Export it when you don't feel like working on it anymore. That's when it's done. It can then be uploaded to SoundCloud or whatever and shared with the world. Share some with us?
>>
>>60639263
soundcloud.com/SidneyAustralia
>>
sigh
>>
>>60637720

It's because you suck :^)

Seriously though, it takes a few years to actually get good. Just enjoy the learning process.
>>
Same dude. You have the perfectionism down, so try and practice completionism as well, even if those two have their contradictions when they mix.
>>
>>60637720
Sounds like a common thing. I come up with ideas I think are pretty good all the time, but they rarely have a beginning or end. I think the key is just to complete a shitty song and then gradually over time improve it.
>>
Pick your unfinished stuff and combine it
>>
>>60637720
It took me ten years of playing music to actually write my first real full song so I wouldn't worry. Now after two years I make music that is good enough that that I often can't believe I'm the one who made it and feel relief that I haven't wasted 12 years on this shit.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.