[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys know of any bands that are similar to Henry Cow?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Do you guys know of any bands that are similar to Henry Cow? Been listening to their stuff lately and really diggin it
>>
>>60633925
Check out more Canterbury Scene acts. Early Soft Machine, Gong, Robert Wyatt...

Also the individual band members from Henry Cow had decent solo releases that are worth checking out though some of them may not have sticked by the Canterbury style.
>>
>>60633974
Yes, all those artist are great, they aren't all that similar though.

OP you should try out some Zeuhl like pic related, or even math rock to an extent.
>>
and this is probably their best song yoooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugE0AnIHT8
>>
>>60633974
cool cool thanks friend I already have Soft Machine and Wyatt on my list of stuff to listen to so i'll do those first; never heard of Gong will check them out
>>
>>60634024
can't stand the vocals on this otherwise awesome album
>>
>>60634014
ah yuh i've been meaning to listen to magma too but haven't taken the plunge yet thanks friend
>>
>>60633925
Aksak Maboul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llTjsFlAtso

>>60634024
my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2718-shmJY

>>60634040
same
>>
>>60634079
ruins is unbelievably beautiful

thanks for the other one, I'm gonna download teh album.
>>
op here on another note are there albums more like bands like high rise / heavy psych rock like them and more contemporary stuff like thee oh sees? i've also been really diggin a tribute to jack johnson by miles davis love john mclaughlin on that album
>>
>>60634051
>>60634033
these are me as well
>>
>>60634147
If you haven't heard Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame, that's very similar to tribute to JJ (Maha is a John McLaughlin band). Otherwise, and you may not believe me here, Tribute to JJ reminds me more than anything else of Jimi's later stuff. Band of Gypsys for example
>>
Curlew, Madame Luckerniddle, Art Bears (although if you don't like Dagmar Krause you might not be super into them), News From Babel (the Dagmar Krause problem might arise again), Pidgin Combo, and maybe Cassiber even though I've not been a big fan of the stuff I've heard from them so far.
>>
>>60634200
ohhhhhh i am definitely familiar with maha and band of gypsys stuff love that stuff
>>
art bears
art zoyd
etron fou leloublan
samla mammas manna
stormy six
univers zero
>>
>>60634220
I'm stealin all this shizz up
>>
henry cow are so fucking boring
>>
>>60634286
kill yourself
>>
yeah friends this is all really great thanks so much
>>
>>60634319
It's mallgoth prog. It's not as interesting as you think it is.
>>
>>60634343
>mallgoth prog

why do people keep saying this shit
>>
>>60634357
Because it is
>>
>>60634286
fuck
>>60634343
right
>>60634371
off
>>
>>60634624
Im free to hate stuff
And I hate prog in the Henry Cow style it's not interesting at all
>>
>>60634220
sweet man thanks
>>
>>60634079
gettin this down too thanks
>>
there's tons of GREAT contemporary prog that comes pretty much straight from Henry Cow

check out Fantomas, Zs, Ne Zhdali, Lard Free, Forever Einstein, Amy Denio, 80s John Zorn (Godard, Big Gundown), and Cheer-Accident!!!

keep prog alive
>>
>>60634963
cool cool
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.