[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Elliott Smith
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
Of the albums he released while alive:
Self Titled > Roman Candle >> Figure 8 > XO > Either Or
>>
>Figure 8 > XO > Either Or
no
>>
>>60631177
this
what the fuck is wrong with you OP
>>
i agree on s/t then roman candle but figur 8 is by far his worst and id say xo is = to either or
>>
>>60630595
I think all of his albums are better than the last, including Basement on a Hill.
>>
>>60631177
>>60631846
Anything after s/t is overproduced trash. There's good songs here and there, but Figure 8 has the best overproduced trash. Fucking "Everything reminds me of her", "Junk bond trader", "LA", Happiness"?
Come on.
>>
s/t = Either/Or > Roman Candle > XO >>>> Figure 8

Why the dislike of Either/Or? Because of the somewhat poppy singles? Also Roman Candle is the comfiest Elliott Smith project tbqh
>>
I just checked and god damn I'm retarded, I had no idea he fucking died.
>>
Either/Or > XO > Figure 8 > Roman Candle > s/t
>>
>>60634600
Probably because most of the songs I've heard from those albums I heard live first, and the album version just sounds odd and like I said, Overproduced.

If anyone here hasn't listened to the Swedish show do it now, he doesn't fuck up one note. It's flawless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh_6_4Ciziw

This show though, is also good, but he does fuck up... a lot.
But it's still good with a god-tier Kings Crossing. If any Elliott fans haven't heard the acoustic version of Kings Crossing, watch the beginning of this show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R57A8naur18
>>
>>60633770
i think it's a bit of a stretch to call either/or overproduced
>>
Either/Or > 8 > s/t > Roman Candle > XO
>>
>>60633770
>Either/Or
>XO
>overproduced
'no'
>>
Basement has his best songs
>>
>>60634787
Either/Or was recorded on a 4-track. That album strikes me as being very taste fully produced, if over-production is possible on that technology
>>
>>60634991
That album gave us Alameda, Between the bars, Pictures of me(only good live), and Say Yes. All of which are better live, and the rest of the songs are kind of forgettable.
XO is definitely more produced, but I think it has more memorable songs than E/O.
>>
>>60635102
craaaaaaaaaack youre on crack homie
>>
>>60635113
Listen to that live shit I linked and come back and say the same thing nigga.
>>
>>60635102
>Angeles
>2:45 AM
>Speed Trials
>Ballad of Big Nothing
>Pictures of Me

245 in particular is a song that really sounds best recorded. The way each verse builds instrumentation, without a band accompaniment it wouldn't work live
>>
>>60635262
>245 wouldn't work live
Check this out https://youtu.be/Sh_6_4Ciziw?t=44m8s

I forgot to mention Rose Parade earlier.
Good song live and recorded.
>>
>>60635262
>>60635102

Waltz #2 is dope, as is Independence Day (a song not even conceived for that album, instead written for his old band Heatmiser). Bled White is cool too and Baby Britain is GOAT

On a song by song basis the albums seem about equal, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think the second half of XO is weak
>>
File: 1448306801858.png (178 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448306801858.png
178 KB, 500x500
XO > Roman Candle > Either/Or > s/t > New Moon > From a Basement > Figure 8
>>
>>60635473
lmao wrong pic whatev tho
>>
>>60635359
>Waltz #2 is dope
It's good but it's kind of played out for me. Like one of those songs that is really catchy at first but gets old fast. Waltz #1 is good too but king of the same situation.

Bled White is good, reminds me of 90's radio pop too much though.

>Baby Britain is GOAT
No.
Fucking No.
That was Elliott trying too hard to be The Beatles. It's awful.
>>
>>60635473
DIDYOUKNOW
AUTISM?
>>
>>60635505
rude, that hurt my feelings :'(
>>
>>60635512
feelings are for autists
>>
>>60635473
>s/t that low
>an album with the song Alphabet Town, Needle ITH, Christian Brothers, Clementine, Southern Belle, Coming up Roses, St Ides Heaven, The Biggest Lie
>that low
>that low
>>
Ew tumblrcore
>>
>>60635529
I am not autistic and having feelings is human. So what are you?

>>60635532
I might switch it with Either/Or, honestly, but it's not as good as Roman Candle or XO.

>>60635549
This, honestly. I used to like this dude a lot when I was in high school and super depressed, but now I find myself looking back and cringing a bit.
>>
>>60635498
The Beatles are an undercurrent of influence through a fuckton of his work. But if you just don't like the Beatles that's a fine opinion. And to be clear, Angeles is my favorite track of his, I just think Britain is a really solid track.
>>
>>60635580
I do like the beatles, very much. And I know Elliott was a big fan.
That's why I added "too hard", because he was always similar to them.
I played Angeles for my mom and her feedback was: It sounds like John Lennon.
>>
>>60635653
Makes sense, the guitar finger picking is totally that intricate acoustic beatles style. Have you ever tried to learn to play it? That intro is so cool but hella difficult
>>
>>60635734
No.
I recently picked up the guitar again after a 15 year hiatus, and man do I suck balls.
I Tried learning Alphabet Town the other night while hammered, and man was that discouraging. I even got a harmonica for it.
>>
File: Elliott.jpg (74 KB, 468x489) Image search: [Google]
Elliott.jpg
74 KB, 468x489
As long as we're talking about how talented of a guitarist Elliott Smith was, can we just stop for a sec and appreciate Tomorrow Tomorrow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4tQaKh_dhw

You can't really see how intricate the finger movements are, but you can see better in a cover like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nLpxm_-4Q

Fucking insane, dude.
>>
>>60635899
fuck man this is some john fahey shit right here
>>
>>60635796
Damn that's discouraging, I too have some sadly unused harmonicas.
You should learn 245 AM, it's a nice simple strum pattern with an easy scale run
Twilight is also dope to play, but you'll have to figure out the weird syncopated strumming first
>>
>>60635899
That was an excellent cover. That was 9 years ago, the kid must be a legend now.

Southern Bell is fun to watch Elliott play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R57A8naur18
>>
>>60636074
>9 years ago
holy fuk
>>
>>60636070
It's actually the guitar that's used less now to be honest family.
The harp is a whole new path I'm exploring and it's fun.
Plus it's easy to just pick up and blast out a few bars.
>>
>>60636229
Can you bend notes yet? That's when the harmonica really opens up, and you can explore different keys on the same harp.
I tried to learn but single notes are so tricky to get to sound clearly. Fretted instruments are more my thing
>>
Not really, I can do the pleb tongue + mouth shape bend, but not the throat bend that's from your diaphragm.
Literally just got this thing in the mail a week ago so I'm working on it.
>>
>>60636471
Nice! The diaphragm bend you just have to get a feel for. I can bend better than I can sound notes, oddly, probably comes from breath control in choir singing. Keep working at it, I hope to hear you in a vocaroo thread some time!
>>
>>60636647
I'll be there my man.. Getting better every day.

I must post this of course, before I pass out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GozVtCixIO0
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.