[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get into The Who?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: The_Who_1663069a.jpg (71 KB, 620x429) Image search: [Google]
The_Who_1663069a.jpg
71 KB, 620x429
How to get into The Who?
>>
You want to get into who?
>>
The Who Sell Out was what made them click for me
>>
>>60618999
Quadrophenia
>>
You wanna get in to see The Who? I'll take you to see The Who! There you are! Here's your Who!

Pete Townsend: I thought we fucking fired you, you wanker!

Yeah, right! I got fired by The Who! I'm so sure! Whatever you say pal! *Under his breath* nutso.... Hey! Wait a minute! I took you to see The damned Who! Where's my fucking bottle of Chloroform you promised me?
>>
Listen to Live At Leeds

don't bother with the rest
>>
>>60618999
Are you more of a British Invasion powerpop person, or a hard rock person? Knowing your own personal musical tastes will help you get a handle on where you should start.
>>
Britpop: My Generation

Psychedelia: Sell Out

Classic/Dad Rawk: Who's Next

Progressive Rock: Quadrophenia/Tommy
>>
>>60620241
I think albums like A Quick One/Happy Jack, Magic Bus, Odds and Sods, The Who by Numbers are criminally overlooked and underrated. Who Are You would've worked live, but is to slick and sterile sounding as a studio album goes.
>>
Literally Who
>>
>>60620291
I have many times emphasised the unspoken importance of A Quick One on the history of music (progenitor of prog, noise rock, psychedelia, metal and sampling all in a single record), but for that reason I'm not sure it's the best Who album to start with. Who Are You is also an awesome record and definitely their second most underrated.
>>
>>60620367
I think anybody who has heard Pet Sounds more than enough times would be comfortable starting out with A Quick One, but for most people, it's probably not the best way to introduce somebody to The Who. There's always greatest hits compilations like Wholigans or Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
>>
>>60620415
>Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
This, OP if you prefer the 60s Britpop side of things you can't go wrong starting with this comp.
>>
>>60619728
This is terrible advice, obviously you haven't listened to any other Who records.
>>
>>60620690
Not him, but the uncut Live at Leeds is one of the greatest records of all time.
>>
Just ask Pete Towshend if you can join m8
>>
>>60621765
On most levels I agree, and some levels I disagree. I was upset with the way the edited Young Man Blues, Shakin' All Over, and Magic Bus, but the inclusion of all the extra songs left off the original release are fan-fuckin-tastic. Live at Leeds is a testimony as to why The Who were a band that, up until Who's Next had to be experienced live in concert, and not just heard on a studio album. Like The Grateful Dead, the studio albums didn't do the band justice, and Pete Townsend has said so on more than one occasion.
>>
Quadrophenia/Tommy

Who's Next is a load of old shite
>>
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
>>
>>60621765
This may be so, but he heavily implied that it was the only Who record worth listening to and that is just wrong. Their 60's and 70's output is mostly absolutely fantastic and well worth getting into.
>>
File: John_Entwistle-1.jpg (61 KB, 342x310) Image search: [Google]
John_Entwistle-1.jpg
61 KB, 342x310
John Entwistle is a pretty cool guy eh plays roundwound strings, plays Waldhorn and doesn’t afraid of anything.
>>
>>60622325
I wonder if your opinion of Who's Next would be different if the Lifehouse project had ever been completed as planned on time?

Who's Next is, in many ways, The Who's version of Smiley Smile.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.