[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drone Thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: sunn o))).png (279 KB, 399x399) Image search: [Google]
sunn o))).png
279 KB, 399x399
Hey guys, I can't really into drone, to be honest family.

For example, I have this album, right? The first song is, what, seventeen fucking minutes long? And there's only like one note playing at a time! Like, what's with that? At least even Metal Machine Music has different ideas interspersed within a bed of feedback. This is just one note, played on a guitar and a bass.

Like, how does this work? I'm clearly missing something. Am I supposed to listen to it like how you listen to ambient music, just not pay attention to it and let it fill the room as I do other stuff? Is that how this works?
Please explain yourselves, drone fans.
>>
>sunn 0)))
lol thats not drone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHDkEQE8Q-Q
>>
>>60618590
It's not good, you're not missing anything. Just listen to doom.
>>
>>60618682
>lol thats not drone
I am pretty sure that is just a contrarian hipster response, since I've heard Sunn O))) referred to as drone multiple times before, but even if I am wrong, whatever this style of music is, how is someone supposed to listen to it?

Albums in a similar vein are stuff like Earth 2, off the top of my head. I feel like Boris's Flood has elements that sounded like the drone/drone metal stuff, but I can't completely remember.
>>
>>60618795
earth and boris arn't drone either lol wtf

this is drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWrfVxBjho

it's a little abrasive just so you know so please don't be a bitch about it
>>
go to a second hand music store and purchase the following items:
300watt bass amplifier $300
10' cable 1/4 $20
3.5mm-1/4 adaptor $2

once you've obtained these items, follow these instructions:
1. insert 3.5mm-1/4 adapter into computer
2. insert 1/4 cable into adapter
3. insert the other side into bass amp
4. turn on bass amp, adjust volume to 10
5. play this instead because sunn 0))) is pleb shit lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdAhNRp6dO0
>>
>>60618795
Thats Doom Metal bro, not drone
>>
>>60618901
Well in that case, isn't doom metal just a subgenre of drone?
>>
>>60619324
they're shitpostin' you

Boris/Melvins/Earth 2/Sunn are all drone METAL
emphasis on METAL

actual drone is like Tony Conrad, La Monte Young, etc
>>
nitpicking genres aside, i think you can ease yourself into drone by listening to more 'traditional' stuff that has droney elements. maybe try this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnIkxPYvF70
>>
>>60618860
this would work really well at berghain
>>
>>60619360
this is a good idea too OP

depending on what you like, there are a lot of droning bands that just stick on the same loop and go on and on and on and help acclimate you to unchanging and actually finding an enjoyment in repetition (Spacemen 3, Can, On the Corner...not so much the last one but for some reason it popped into my head)
>>
>>60618831
so why is this drone and not noise?
>>
>>60618590
at least listen to some good sunn Ooooooo))))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCC2x6mYAE
>>
File: mathias-grassow-dammerung.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
mathias-grassow-dammerung.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
>>60618590
This is a nice "drone ambient" album.

Listening to it with your eyes closed, perhaps before going to bed is my tip.
Maybe while stoned.
>>
File: 1415569964085.jpg (596 KB, 1175x1200) Image search: [Google]
1415569964085.jpg
596 KB, 1175x1200
Isn't it ironic that drone fans are the only non-drone music fans?
>>
File: tone poetry.jpg (38 KB, 631x631) Image search: [Google]
tone poetry.jpg
38 KB, 631x631
reccing this
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.