[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nick Drake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: NickDrake2.jpg (239 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
NickDrake2.jpg
239 KB, 2048x1536
41 years ago today Nick Drake died from an overdose of his antidepressants. The work he left behind was beautiful, so if you get the chance, listen to his album Pink Moon today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQv04CFSdE

https://mega.nz/#F!19dlGBwS!mmipFVNNLkXRzVNqeu5XEw

Also, post Nick related stuff or discuss his work. Have a good day.
>>
I always preferred the alternate version of Place To Be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdGrGd3MKII
>>
His mom was pretty good too, and you can tell she influenced Nick's style.

https://mollydrake.bandcamp.com/
>>
This is supposedly actual footage of an adult Nick Drake taken at a festival he was known to have attended. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFnCdTCSXw
>>
I guess nobody cares...
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tRcgCPYC4I

Lol
>>
>>60611199
holy shit is nick drake dead?
>>
>>60611401
Hair and clothes could easily be his; guess it's hard to tell without seeing his face, though.
>>
>>60611570
pls be shitpost
>>
>>60611547
:3
>>
Didn't know that but was just listening to pink moon this morning and thinking about how beautiful it sounds, thanks anon
>>
>>60611346
Not even kidding, Molly Drake is one of my all time favorite albums. I listen to it more than all of Nicks combined. Love to it death.
>>
>>60611199
I've tried overdosing on the same antidepressants, it's actually very effective, had to be flown in a helicopter to an ICU for them to revive me and it still took a full day

If anyone could get me some more of them, I'd like to try again (I'm not allowed to buy them any more)
>>
Dire Straits ripped Nick Drake off with Sultans of Swing
>>
>>60611978
It's a very English sounding set of songs.

Funny because Nick's music uses a lot of quartal and quintal voicings, which are one of the cornerstones of English classical music.
>>
>>60612011
How so?
>>
pingo moon zonny sway
>>
>>60612003
did you go through serotonin syndrome? i unfortunately fell into the trap of antidepressants (particularly effexor) and even if i take it too late i get horribly ill. and the brain zaps, the fucking brain zaps.
>>
>>60612694
Yes, it's the fucking worst, it's part of why I overdosed.
>>
>>60611199
:(
>>
>>60611346
Wow thanks for posting anon. Never knew this existed.
>>
I only heard Pink Moon for the first time a few months ago, but it's made me want to start a career in music. I felt such a strong connection with Nick, both geographically and compositionally.

Shame I'm not a guitarist, but I think I can make it work.
>>
>>60612903
damn, bless your soul dude. i don't know you but i'm happy you're still with us.
>>
>>60612003
Don't you dare, my friend
>>
>>60611199
>listen to his album Pink Moon today.
why? all his studio music is shit. just listen to his home recorfings--- much better
>>
>>60615297
I would agree with you on most of Five Leaves Left and, particularly, Bryter Layter, but not Pink Moon.
>>
>>60612003
they were Amytriptylines right? i was prescribed that. how many milligrams did you take? i need to know...
>>
>>60614900
I'm on 2 big pills if Effexor (I'm a diff guy) and I'm still suicidal. Music is the only thing I have anymore and I'm starting to enjoy it less so I guess I won't be alive for much longer. Idk I'm just kinda numb now maybe death isn't so bad
>>
>>60611199
I love this man. But i can't help wonder, was he autistic?
>>
>>60615528
Please, don't.
Write about it.

>>60615598
No, just clincally depressed. I find it quite comforting to know that he wasn't a musical savant when it came to instruments besides the guitar. His clarinet and piano playing is ostensibly clumsy. It gives me hope to know that he had flaws.
>>
>>60615639
sounds like ressentiment bruh
>>
Here are his two other albums

Bryter Layter

http://www.mediafire.com/?4b7bvia8ugcs6ff

Five Leaves Left

http://www.mediafire.com/?t0vofbcd5xlmcbm

Does anyone have any of his other recordings or home recordings? The archive seems to only have the three main albums.
>>
>>60615528
i know a girl who is on anti-deprepressants
i always tell her to stop taking them exactly because of shit like this.
Why do docs give this crap to people again? my doc also suggested me them but i told him to fuck instantly, he was trying to give me them just for anxiety, like what the fuck.
i just stayed with benzos until HS ended and im pretty fine now
>>
>>60615792
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9w78S_Z-_M&list=PLYgM_FnR5KaZ8ANK9nGt_L6DWGWYXFSDx

This is Family Tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV42hEH6-ow&list=PL6D39EDA871EF006E

And a bunch of other recordings
>>
File: Bryter Layter.jpg (34 KB, 484x500) Image search: [Google]
Bryter Layter.jpg
34 KB, 484x500
How come people always preach about how Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left are amazing albums (which they are don't get me wrong) yet they never pay attention to or even give negative attention to this album
In my opinion it's Drake at his best, with the beautiful orchestration combined with his virtuoso guitar playing create a divine, comfy and even chilling atmosphere
Sure it's not as stripped down and personal as Drake in his other albums but it's definitely on par with the quality of them
>>
>>60615857
It's glorified cocktail jazz, with a bunch of other contemporary influences messily chucked in to make it sound current.

The highlights are Fly and Northern Sky, and even they are spoiled by the orchestration.
>>
>>60615857
Mainly because it's the least 'Nick' album because they were going for a more mainstream appeal with the backing orchestration and production. It took the charm away from a lot of his songs. I still like the album, but I consider it the weakest of the three.
>>
>>60615876
This
>>
File: Feels DK mode man.jpg (68 KB, 387x429) Image search: [Google]
Feels DK mode man.jpg
68 KB, 387x429
>>60611224
>dat guitar picking, harmony and alternative tuning

Everything about this man is genius, I didn't find it any surprise that he was a huge classical lover and loved Bach, Ravel, and Stravinsky
>>
One thing that bothered me about Nick is that the harmonic language that both he and his mother employed was far from original, yet is ostensibly inimitable and iconic.

I don't get it. Molly's pieces sound similar to that of Annie Fortescue Harrison, and other 20th century composers, and both of them were clearly aware of Baroque counterpoint.

All of these influences common influences. You'd think Nick's music would have been done a thousand times, and yet it hasn't.
>>
>>60616071
Its called craftsmanship anon, It's why Brahms, Bach or Ravel have never been equaled in their respected field
>>
>>60616112
French Impressionism isn't exactly a wide-reaching field compared to Baroque music.

Just saying.
>>
>>60615807
antidepressents help so many people though
by no means are they a fix all, but drugs affect people differently, and i can pretty much guarantee you bothering your friend about it doesn't help anything
>>
>>60616198
>antidepressents help so many people though
what makes you say this?
well yeah i understand that drugs affect different people in different ways, but i never see any "good stories" about antidepressants, is always the same stuff, and that shit they do to the seratonin receptors and everything cant be good. idk it just seems a really dark deal to me
>>
I introduced my dad to Nick Drake about a year ago and he really got into him and actually listens to him more than I do now. Who are some other people I can suggest to him?

The normal stuff he listens to is:
>Old country stuff (Waylon Jennings, etc)
>Basic dadrock (Really likes floyd)
>Steve Winwood, Genisis type stuff
>>
>>60616138
I'm not really talking about eras in music, rather the language of the music, easy to play and grasp but impossible to imitate.

I can play 13th, 11th and 9th chords all day but I will still never sound like Ravel

Drake's music being inimitable is pretty similar to those composers I mentioned above, it's just that extra artistic and genius oomph that these men have and how they process music is cut above all that exceptional talent.
>>
>>60616262
its not really meant to be a long term thing, but they can definitely help get people on the right track. I don't know how you've only ever heard bad stories about them, but I've known people who have taken them and they've really helped them get back on their feet, and then they can weed themselves off them after a while
it takes a lot more than just the chemical aspect to really fight mental illness, but that alone can put people in a position to change other aspects of their life
>>
>>60616320
I suppose. I have a similar problem.

I've always wanted to make music in the contemporary folk style of Nick Drake and Vashti Bunyan, but with a 20th century English twist on harmony.

It's hard. I realise that English music relies a lot on 4ths, 5ths and 7ths and dissonances in general, but it's difficult to extract those stylistic idiosyncrasies in a competent way.

It's frustrating.
>>
>>60616361
sounds exactly like the relation i had with benzos. but i never used them for depression, it was for anxiety as i said before.
i dont know man, what helped me with depression was acid actually, even tho i dont really know if what i had was depression or just being a bitch, but i used to feel like shit all them time until the first time i dropped acid, made me realize there was so much that made life worth living, but i dont reccomend it by ANY means to people with SERIOUS mental problems, taking in consideration all the shitty RC's there are out there being sold as acid.
anyways thanks for replying.
goodspeed anon
>>
>>60611199
I listened to him for the first time yesterday, and I was blown away by how ahead of his time he was, and by how much he influenced later musicians. It's truly a shame that he killed himself because he had a ridiculous amount of potential.
>>
>>60616312
Jackson C. Frank
Linda Perhacs
Anne Briggs
Vashti Bunyan
Van Morrison
>>
Molly Drake has really nice music and I wish she had made something that wasn't recorded on a toaster
>>
>>60612003
What kind where they anon
>>
Poor Nick
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZUcWIqSUI
Something cool from him
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.