[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Music Production: Best DAW for quantizing drums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
My drummer is shit but all we have right now and we want to make a demo. What is the best program out there for editing drums to fit tempo, or something that might have an auto-quantizer.

I just wanna brush this up while we look for a new drummer.
>>
>>60602308
ableton is pretty good
>>
all the big name ones are the same unless you are a nerd
>>
>>60602308

Ableton has a really good quantized function that can line up beats pretty much spot on. It also has an "extract groove" function, so you can pull the rhythm off another audio sample and apply it to the sample you're working on. It's handy when getting samples to blend nicely.

Ableton also has one of the best warp functions of any of the DAWs. If you do need to adjust the tempo of a sample, it can keep the pitch the same and fill in any gaps (if stretching a sample)
>>
Just replace him with a drum sequencer?
>>
Holy shit, fresh thread. Was gonna post just the first short clypit to see if someone finds it catchy (no mix and bad rhythm because playing on keyboard lags but try to imagine the finished product, I can see some pop potential there, completely forgot about that little project).
But, I must as well post some more finished stuff nobody have seen. So...

R8:

This is the first one but it is pretty much nothing more than just a little idea. I'd rather want you to see the other two:

https://clyp.it/eymoeubz

I have worked on this one during a few weeks in late August and early September then stopped. Kinda still like it but I fucked up the mix so I have to do it again, don't know if it is worth it:

https://clyp.it/kqm51m0q

This is the newest one I'm working on, though I compose some classical stuff at the moment, but will return to this, I'm interested in the opionions on this one (more on the melody and arrangement than on mix, because it is not finished). I have cut it wrong so it finished at around 3:10, the the later part was the remaining of me playing around, and I also cut the beginning because I need to fix it. My favorite part is around 1:00 until the end. Also, noise is too strong m8. Around 2:00 is the main part, the drop or whatever you would call it:

https://clyp.it/iikq4p0l
>>
>>60602480
>This is the first one
lead synth doesnt groove well with the other instruments.

>This is the newest one
stale before the 2 minute mark
bretty good after the 2 minute mark
>>
>>60602744
Yeah, I know that, I was just interested in the whole mood and melody, it is not mixed and it was the first synth I randomly picked. :)

>newest one

Yeah, the main part was actually made first, I didn't know how to make a song out of that for quite some time. I like the part from the 1:30 though, that is a preparation for the drop, but yeah, I guess the beginning IS quite stale, I was going for the slow progressive build up, but I will definitely have to put more things to spice things up during that part.

Thanks for the feedback. I know it kinda sucks because I'm not really asking for feedback in prod in my works, but rather in composition and arrangement. I need to know if people would like to hear it finished before continuing the process.
>>
>>60602794
I'd say composition and arrangement are also part of music production. otherwise this would be a sound engineering thread
>>
>>60602823
That is absolutely true, yeah, I didn't pick the right words. The thing is that everytime I'm here there is only talk about sound design and technical stuff.
>>
>>60602897
>The thing is that everytime I'm here there is only talk about sound design and technical stuff
thats because only a really small margin of people in here are actively producing. theres more know-how than creativity + dedication in these threads.
its comparable to the amateur game development general over on >>>/vg/ where most people are discussing over game engines (comparable to talk about DAWs) and only very few people are actually trying to make their game idea a finished product.

and im just here waiting for more remix comps or good acapellas and my internet is too slow to do anything bandwidth heavy while im uploading my .wavs to soundcloud
>>
bomp
>>
https://clyp.it/afwcy1m5
thoughts on this? is one of my first attempts to do a hip hop beat. I know the bass could be different but apart from that, what could make this more interesting?
>>
>>60602480
>fresh thread
this isnt even close to being /prod/ though
no /prod/ in the title or the op, no lunga, no op text.
>>
>>60603790
No shit, had to ctrl-f in the catalog.
Shamefur dispray, OP.

Also, where do you lovely bunch get acapellas from. Any super secret clubs I should be aware of?
>>
>>60602308
>What is the best program out there for editing drums to fit tempo, or something that might have an auto-quantizer.

Just use addictive drums senpai
>>
>>60603875
Acapellas4u.com
>>
https://clyp.it/e1c3n42k
I'm always insecure about my kicks :(

>>60603578

Not fan of the clipping/cracking/whatever on the kick

0:42 don't really fit with the soft piano loop
>>
>>60604689
I'd hardly call that secret, though, it's literally the first result on Googlefooger.
>>
>>60604735
>Not fan of the clipping/cracking/whatever on the kick
It's actually because it's a drum loop that I put an amp on, that's why it sounds like that. Thanks for the feedback
>>
>>60604791
>You asked what I use
>I just gave you an (obvious) answer
>>
>>60605502
Why do people use drum loops instead of making their own beat? It's not like it is even remotely complicated anyway.
>>
>>60605544
If it wasn't everyone would be making their own beats instead of using drum loops.

Also, why do people use bought samples instead of recording their own? It's not like it is even remotely complicated anyway.
>>
>>60605502
>>Not fan of the clipping/cracking/whatever on the kick
>It's actually because it's a drum loop that I put an amp on, that's why it sounds like that. Thanks for the feedback

Yeah well you should put the amp on a send track and cut the lows of it imo
>>
:DDDDDDDDDD

https://clyp.it/p2mfsspm
>>
bmp desu baka senpai wtf bbq kek ayy lol wut
>>
>>60605565
Most people do make their own beats, especially here.... the quality of those beats is questionable, but it's done, as for your recorded sample analogy , it is complicated to record good samples, so you have no point it seems.
>>
>>60606563
>make noise
>point mic at it
Easy peasy.
>>
What do you guys think of this idea?

https://clyp.it/cn04x14m
>>
thoughts? feedback.

https://clyp.it/5ojoriok
>>
I need to completely stop producing electronic (which I did mostly for audio engineering learning purposes, and I'm still shitty at that tbqh). It's a meme genre, and I'm honestly better with melody than sound design. More classic style for me.
>>
any advice on how to spin records at a consistent speed without the turntable motor? i tried doing it by hand but it's nowhere near the consistency of the actual motor.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 520x520
>>60602308
Pro tools
>>
>>60608476
I like the constant arp and the use of vocalish samples/synths at the end but I'm not fond of the layers of synths like that sort of detuned melody you've got going on that starts at 22 or 23 seconds, it sounds cheesy and not in a good way
>>
>>60608754

Come on, sound design is easy, just make noise
>>
>>60607931
Very very dry ie not enough reverb to blend the sounds together. Try to add more variation to everything, on every level, it's pretty repetitive as it is
>>
>>60609381
old meme, new hairline
>>
Has anyone had any issues with Asio4All drivers?
A while ago my computer suddenly went batshit insane, crashed and has been heating up more ever since. The only notable thing I did before it happened was switch between Asio4All and Focusrite drivers, mess with the latency settings and try running the Scarlett 2i2 through a USB hub or without one. Then half an hour later I'm hanging around on youtube and all hell breaks loose.
The Asio4all drivers did solve some crashing I've had with the Focusrite drivers at lower latencies, but if they're gonna fry my CPU, no thanks.
>>
>>60610388
Doesn't sound like the overheating part is directly caused by the audio interface drivers m808.
>>
>>60610786
It seems weird to me too, but I can't think of a better reason.
I did have other, much more harmless issues with Asio4all on my integrated card so I figured maybe the whole thing is a mess.
But then the Focusrite drivers keep crashing too.
Someday I'm gonna cave in and buy a mac.
>>
>>60611272
>Someday I'm gonna cave in and buy a mac.
just get a tascam interface lol, i don't know why everybody sucks focusrite's dick. i've had a us-122, a us-122 mk2, and a us200 and no issues with any of them
>>
post something OP, I want to hear how bad he is so that you need to quantize all his shit
>>
>>60609487
Fuck. There really is no hope for me in pop meme songs then, I just go too far in direction other direction and everytime everyone says it is repetitive even though kick clap for a first minute and half in edm songs seems to be fine. Thx for feedback, btw I didn't even put the instruments in the mixer so it is true it is dry.
>>
>>60611957
the trick is to be tastefully repetitive, I just listened to the clyp now, it's nice but your sound design is pretty boring, and stuff is sort of dry, but it does sound poppy, so you got that going for you. I like the little melodies you introduce towards the end.
>>
>>60612207
Thx for the feedback too, btw I was samefagging a bit in here desu, you can check out those 3 clypits at the top of the thread I also posted, maybe I'm talking with a same guy though but still. Yeah if I start playing with melody I think I can pull off nice stuff, but when I try to make something for masses I start to really limit my creativity, especially if I try to do some electronic stuff, it ends up being repetitive because the melody usually is simple and I'm still not good enough with prod to make it interesting with different means. It probably sounds even worse to other people because naturally I hear it in my mind as a finished product and I know how it should sound - but the listener, of course, can't.
>>
>>60613044
why are you trying to make music for the masses.
>>
been working for a couple hours
please call my mixing shit:
https://clyp.it/wks30lqh
>>
>>60613769
I don't know, I tried to see how good I am at it. To be honest, I don't listen to electronic very much but I find some parts interesting and try to do it my way, actually I don't try hard to make simple 4 chord songs and current meme trap/future house beats, I rather do what I want anyway. Either way, classical music composition is more important to me, but I would like to do some good stuff in pop-ish world, like Beatles (just for one example). I personally like their style and use of old scales etc, really made them stand out. I was thinking about doing some musicals, even some stuff like American jazz, swing music from 20th century. I really like that.

Man, I'm going through my ideas right now, I started composing and messing with DAW in my spare time for about a year now, late in 2014... I have hundreds of them, it's amazing how I forget about something I did like a few days before, thank god I have it recorded. I should really start working on some of them and finish them. Currently I have literally only finished a couple of baroque short works.
>>
>>60602308
I never trust any of that shit that does it automatically. I just take the time to edit it manually.
>>
>>60614164
The compression on the bass is too heavy and is making the track "pump", especially in the beginning. Might be your limiter, if that's what you're routing into, in which case just turn the drum mix down or raise the threshold.
>>
>>60614308
*on the kick
>>
anybody ever tried installing drivers in compatibility mode for hardware that is only compatible with older os's? i was reading about how somebody did it for a tascam us-122 which is what i have (the official drivers only go up to vista, but the guy writing the post says he installed on windows 8, didn't say anything about the overall performance though)
>>
>>60614891
decided to not be a lazy-ass and just try it. working so far, which is really cool because the 122 has separate headphone and speaker volume knobs and it means i dont have to get another interface to use with my laptop

also everybody who is still here, go to real /prod/
>>60615008
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.