[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain music to me? Like how is it enjoyable? Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 182035848.jpg (69 KB, 338x507) Image search: [Google]
182035848.jpg
69 KB, 338x507
Can someone explain music to me? Like how is it enjoyable? Why listen to an "album" when you could listen to a "single" or watch a film? What makes a song a song? Is there really much difference between a guitar and a piano? Please help thanks
>>
I would guess the patterns in the actual sound waves could be responsible for it
>>
>>60596521
maybe, but how does that relate to my sonic perception of the waves themselves? Objectively speaking, of course.
>>
Are you deaf?
>>
>>60596566
i just don't understand why music could be so appealing to some. I mean sure, it's enjoyable, but so is masturbating but you don't see me devote a significant portion of my life to jacking off.
>>
Humans seek gratification in finding patterns and music is a good avenue for that. Listening to a single is akin to reading a short story and listening to an album is akin to watching a film. Piano and Guitar are similar in that they're both stringed instruments but the treatment of the strings are vastly different as well as the sound of the instrument itself.
>>
>>60596614
what a retarded analogy lmao
>>
>>60596645
speak english you pretentious fag
>>
>>60596645
You missed out that music is fantastic for a sense of community, a basic human need.
>>
>How is music enjoyable?
There are probably hundreds of different reasons, only a handful of which apply to one person.
One of the dumber reasons is probably that commercial media (advertisements, tv shows) depicts music as desirable and convinces us to enjoy it. If you look at children's media, you'll see it in things like those electric toothbrushes that play radio disney singles (I think they're called toothtunes), or back when I was a kid, they had Hit Clips. lol
There's also physiological reasons like how hearing popular chords (groups of precise sounds) makes most people's brains release endorphins and experience pleasure. The brain seems to also be able to learn to enjoy less popular sounds, like how many people seem to learn to enjoy the taste of coffee or bitter foods.
There's also the psychological part where people connect the lyrics to their own experiences. People also listen to new music because they admire the person who made it, or the person who suggested it to them, or a shit ton of other reasons.

>Why listen to an album instead of a single or watch a film?
Sure, listening to a single is the least time-consuming, but since an album takes much more time and demands more attention, it also creates more associations in the brain, and can give you more pleasure than a single. Watching a film might hold your attention longer than an album, but it really depends. I mean, look at it this way:
Single = 3-5 minutes
Album = 30-60 minutes
Film = 60-120 minutes
Book = several hours
That raises the question, why is it usually easier to watch a film than to listen to an album? Maybe the visual stimulation is a big part, but I think marketing also has a lot to do with it.

>What makes a song a song?
You could say that a song should follow a musical structure. Popular songs tend to follow a verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus structure. But there's probably some debate about what makes a song a song.
>>
>Guitar vs Piano
There are so many differences. Each instrument has a lot of types. For example, there are acoustic steel-string guitars, acoustic nylon-string guitars, acoustic-electric hybrids, electric 6-string guitars, electric 7-strings, 8-strings, bass guitars, mandolins, ukeleles, etc. Piano has a lot of variety too.
Think of different instruments as different voices. Let's say that you have a twin sister and you're both at the same level of singing. If you both sing the same song, it's going to sound different.
There's also association. Some people grow up hearing their moms play piano and they end up liking that sound. Some people are forced into learning piano at an early age and end up hating it. Some people see Eddie Van Halen play guitar and like it, but some people hate it. It all depends.

Anyway, there are centuries of research on so much of this shit. You could answer your questions in thousands of different ways. Keep learning, OP.

Also, I think you would be able to answer a lot of these questions if you played an instrument, just because musicians seem to pick up on all of this really quickly.
>>
>>60597590
don't forget tenor and baritone guitars
>>
>>60596485
>Is there really much difference between a guitar and a piano?
Depends, is there a difference between a pineapple and an elephant?
>>
cu︂cks
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.