[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is MF Doom such a household name?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: madvillainy.jpg (359 KB, 1780x1824) Image search: [Google]
madvillainy.jpg
359 KB, 1780x1824
Out of all the music from the late 90s to mid 2000s like Def Jux, Rhymesayers, Anticon, etc, it seems like MF Doom came out the biggest (unless you want to argue el-p in rtj). It seems like people can know who MF doom is and not any of his contemporaries. When did MF Doom become this household name? Was anyone here around at that time? I'm only 21 but I started listening to that kind of hip hop around 07.
>>
He definitely isn't, and the only people who recognize the name are people into hip-hop to the point where they've at least heard the names of underground/indie rappers.

Artists from the 90s/00s that are more well known:

Common
Eminem
Kanye West
>>
>>60596398
he is the most well known out of his peers. I'm talking about aesop rock, cannibal ox etc. Common started way before and was well known by the mid 90s. Kanye and eminem both started in similar positions in the rawkus crowd, but ended up going with a completely different trajectory. Mf doom is making similar music today as he was 15 years ago.
>>
plus I definitely know people who have heard mf doom but never any def jux, rhymesayers etc
>>
>>60596398
Well I don't know, there really aren't any other great indie rap artists and MF DOOM's stuff gets critically acclaimed so that's an easy source of attention. Aesop Rock is a thesauruses backpack rapper, and the only people you listed are literally whos even if you ask the average serious hip-hop fan.
>>
>>60596671
>>60596671
>there really arent any other great indie rap artists
Jonathan Mathis senpai just to name the newest. His production sure is more interesting and diverse.
>>
Howlin Wolf
>>
Adult Swim helped a lot.
>>
>>60596314
White guilt.
>>
>>60596867
He's one of the whitest black rappers that exist though
>>
>>60596729
More interesting than most producers. But dont compare him to a legend like DOOM. It just creates more negative stigma around him. He has his own style just leave it at that.
>>
File: image.jpg (279 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
279 KB, 1200x1200
>>60596999
Yeah Mathis gets shit on too much here. Dudes a fucking legend I'll never forget how hype mu got when he dropped that last tape. Bangers throughout
>>
>>60596867
Holy fuck you should be banned faggot. I'm definitely filtering this "white guilt" bullshit.
>>
>When he had the mic you don't go next
>Leavin' pussy cats like why hos need Kotex
>Exercise index, won't need Bowflex
>And won't take the one with no skinny legs like Joe Tex

Damn...
>>
>>60596872
how so? dude was homeless for years... also did the whole funky afro thing throughout the 90s as zev love X with KMD (highly recommend them btw). But if you measure how good a rapper is by "whiteness" you're dumb.

I honestly think Dumile is arguably the GOAT rapper. it comes down to what you value. To me he is at least the greatest lyricist of all time.
>>
>>60597104
i spotted the white kek
>>
File: what are u do..png (191 KB, 450x362) Image search: [Google]
what are u do..png
191 KB, 450x362
>ask a mate if he has heard of DOOM
>Consider mate a big hip hop enthusiast
>He says he hasnt listened to him before but has heard he is good
>>
>>60597045
I wasnt around for that. I think it makes sense when people praise this album its just that people get so mad when they dont get it they have to shit all over it. Its cognitive dissonance desu.
>>
>>60596314
OP, I'm Anon

Tell me about DOOM. Why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>60599474
LOTTA LOYALTY FOR A HIRED /MU/TANT
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.