[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are people today less passionate about music than 20+ years ago
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: Record-Album-02.jpg (313 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Record-Album-02.jpg
313 KB, 1024x768
Considering that albums don't sell anymore, and most people nowadays only listen to singles nowadays, I kinda get the feeling that people invest less time into music today than 20+ years ago. Why?
>>
File: 1384133290579.jpg (19 KB, 187x266) Image search: [Google]
1384133290579.jpg
19 KB, 187x266
>>60595328
>People only listen to singles now
>>
I think so and I think I've grown less passionate about music over the years (30). I don't know if it's because nobody really makes any music I'm interested in anymore or because I'm just getting older. From the trends I see I think it's the former.
>>
People who would have been passionate about music in the past are just as passionate now, and with more ease of access to music there is a better platform to act upon that passion.

Your average person? They don't give a fuck, it's just background noise and another thing to make idle conversation about *tips federer*
>>
>>60595723
I'd argue the ease of access has ruined music in a lot of ways in that it turns newer artists off from being creative. It's all about this is what sells so that's what we have to play now for the most part. A bunch of generic trash.
>>
>>60595360
"people" are more than just p4k drones and /mu/
the average person literally listens to music on a song to song basis more often than not, not as albums
>>
If people in the 70's/80's had access to what we had now, they'd be doing exactly what we are. It's all dependant on what's available
>>
The internet kinda killed the counter culture aspect of music. Everyone can find their niche pretty easily on the internet so there's not really anywhere for a big subculture to grow
>>
>>60595328

Before there were physical scenes, clubs, labels and communities built around genres and styles in music, you had to be passionate because if you didn't meet certain people, go to certain shows, buy certain albums and so on you'd miss the whole thing.

The internet has completely erased barriers of entry which takes a lot of meaning away from music and turns it into mindlessly torrenting heaps of shit which you will never care about anyway
>>
>>60596184
>mindlessly torrenting heaps of shit which you will never care about anyway
yep... and isn't it ironic the "contrarians" here have pissing contests over their music folders
>>
>>60596091
>It's all about this is what sells so that's what we have to play now for the most part. A bunch of generic trash.
Not really, there are tons of tape labels putting out really interesting music. The difference now is that you have to find it.
>>
>>60596117
and that wasn't the case 20 years ago?
>>
>>60596322
recs? I'm mostly into original post-rockish type stuff with a depressive atmosphere.
>>
>>60597078
I don't know any post rock ones, but I'm sure they're around. I mostly listen to electronic stuff.
>>
>>60596184
You make a really valid point, but I'm not sure if I can reach the exact same conclusion as you have. Thing is, we live in an age where the internet is still just new enough that culture is starting to really catch up to it so it could just be that once the dust settles it'll be just another method of distribution like the CD and Vinyls were. After all, I'm pretty sure that there were people saying the same thing about simply being able to record music as opposed to having to go see it live.
That said, I do sometimes wish that the same kind of passion that seems evident from the days of just CDs and such were a thing now.
>>
>>60597078
>putting out really interesting music
>I mostly listen to electronic stuff
I hate to be a dick but this just makes it all that much more concrete in my mind. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate a lot of electronic stuff. I think it's all personal opinion at this point.
>>
>>60595723
This.
>>
>>60596184
My thoughts exactly. glad someone could put that into words better than me
>>
People only listened to full albums 30 years ago because they had to. no skip function on an LP or tape.
>>
File: balckstar.png (103 KB, 350x302) Image search: [Google]
balckstar.png
103 KB, 350x302
>>60599732
>what is fast forwarding
>what is lifting the needle and putting it down on the track you wanna hear
>what is trolling
>>
The Internet has given everyone shit attention spans, which has only been exacerbated by smart phones. And it's only going to get worse.
>>
If anything people listen to non-singles more now because of the advent of streaming
20+ years ago single consumption killed album consumption because singles were cheaper and that's all that played on the radio.
>>
>>60599775
yeah no shit, just pointing out how its far easier to hit a button a few times than have to wait and approximate when you hit the right track on a tape.
>>
File: 4luv.png (95 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
4luv.png
95 KB, 540x405
>>60599806
>what is trolling
>>
>>60599839
That image says so much.
>>
File: image.png (158 KB, 783x797) Image search: [Google]
image.png
158 KB, 783x797
>>60599947
people need to personify shit more
>>
>>60595328
Anon, people had just as bad taste in the 90s. We musicians and music fans still care about music and that matters
>>
>>60595328
Music has become more accesable through mp3s. Instead of buying 45s (which are 2 sided anyway) you can but one mp3 file, one song. It never made sense to only sell one song at a time before the mp3. duh
>>
>>60600193
Man I hope english isn't your native language
>>
>>60595328
i wasnt alive 20 years ago lmao
go to bed grampa
>>
File: 1441915656630.png (189 KB, 500x599) Image search: [Google]
1441915656630.png
189 KB, 500x599
>>60600270
>tfw i was
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.