[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name one problem with this album. Protip: You can't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: this-is-happening.jpg (907 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
this-is-happening.jpg
907 KB, 1000x1000
Name one problem with this album.

Protip: You can't.
>>
snore-fest
>>
not as good as sound of silver
>>
>>60587344
It's far more varied than Sound of Silver...
>>
I was gonna say that Somebody's Calling Me is a complete ripoff of Nightclubbing but I like that song anyways. The live version of All I Want is a million times better, that's all I can think of right now.
>>
Most of the second half.
All I Want is overrated too.
>>
>>60587306
Drunk Girls isn't longer.
>>
>>60587373
but it's not better. it doesn't have the three song run of north american scum-someone great-all my friends for example
>>
one touch is too long
>>
>>60587378
Drunk girls is undeniably a rip off of White Light White heat though
>>
I don't care for it too much tbqh
>>
I still can't dance myself clean :(
>>
>>60589055
I've always seen it as more of a homage
>>
>>60587306
All I Want and Somebody's Calling Me
>>
I prefer it to Sound of Silver but they're nearly equal. SoS is more consistent but This Is Happening has more top-quality tracks. It has higher highs and lower lows (but even the lows are still good).

>>60589219
All I Want is in the top 5 LCD tracks. This is one of the worst opinions I've seen on this board.
>>
I could never believe the stigma against Somebody's Calling Me. That song is comfy as FUCK.

Also Dance Yrself Clean is like their best fucking song
>>
>>60589249
>All I Want is in the top 5 LCD tracks
This is one of the worst opinions I've seen on this board.
>>
>>60589219
All I Want is the best track desu
>>
>>60589340
Just admit you have bad taste, it will make everything easier.
>>
>>60587306
Drunk Girls
>>
James Murphy's singing
>>
>>60589219
>>60589340

fucking embarassing
>>
>>60587306
>aging hipster takes old dance music and removes all the energy and passion
>>
>>60589473
this
>>
File: 1448396151144.jpg (539 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448396151144.jpg
539 KB, 1000x1000
found it
>>
>>60587306
the album cover is crooked 90 degrees to the right
>>
>>60589608
How do you know it wasn't taken while he was falling?
>>
>>60587306
I like that album. But it's far from flawless, m80.
>>
>>60587306
somebody's calling me really brings it down.
>>
File: 1446989984031.jpg (5 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1446989984031.jpg
5 KB, 249x250
>>60587306
>Murphy was already 40 when he penned This is Happening (DFA, 2010), and suddenly his limitations came to the fore: his lengthy high-tech ruminations were simply rehashing synth-pop, dance-punk and disco-music of the 1970s and 1980s. And his lame shout was certainly not making the imitations more appealing than the originals. The nine-minute hysterical threnody Dance Yrself Clean harks back to the Talking Heads' fusion of funk, electronics and rock (alas, minus David Byrne's neurotic genius). The eight-minute Home is emblematic of the general problem with Murphy's tactic: a slightly intricate beat is looped and repeated with minimal variations for a long time so that the vocals can sing a rather pedestrian melody over and over again and take their time in doing so. The throbbing eight-minute One Touch is pure fluff, and derivative of the age of Eddy Grant's Electric Avenue (1982). The (thankfully much shorter) single Drunk Girls crosses over into boogie-rock of the new wave (a` la Modern Lovers) with insistent tribal drumming. The same kind of methodic beat, leaning this time towards the disco, propels the decadent croon of All I Want, a bit like early Roxy Music. The very slow jazzy seven-minute Somebody's Calling Me sounds like a very slow cover of Donovan's Mellow Yellow. Plagiarizing the past classics is not necessarily a bad idea. The problem is that Murphy dilutes his imitations to the point that artistic pretenses border on self-mockery. What could have been a sprightly power-pop ditty, You Wanted A Hit, is stretched to become a midtempo nine-minute jam (three minutes of minimalist intro, an instrumental duet between atonal guitar and videogame noise). Regardless of the ambitions, I Can Change is just a trite ballad crooned by a bad singer and wrapped in electronic effects. Pow Pow is eight minutes of spoken-word (or, alternatively, of really slow and plain rapping) over the most trivial of beats. This music must be incredibly easy to make.

:-)
>>
>>60589219
>>60589872
Can someone please explain to me why Somebody's Calling Me is so disliked? It's got a great tone and atmosphere and the beat is nice.
>>
>>60589997
People come to an LCD album for maximalist, feelsy dance music, not minimalist, feelsy dance music

A good track can seem worse in the right context, just like the lighting on a piece of artwork can make it look better or worse
>>
>>60590230
Huh. I think it works well in the context. It offers a sluggish, sleazy break from the excitement before the uplifting ending.
>>
>>60589473
take an hour to pee
>>
you wanted a hit
>muh rockist label quarreling about 'art'
>>
>>60590475
Yeah, I like it too. I'm just saying that that's probably why people don't like it as much as they potentially could if it were on a different spot in the album/one a different album/released as a single (probably the way it would have been best recieved since it's so different from the usual LCD sound)
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.