[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most pretentious albums ever made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: ayyy.jpg (356 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.jpg
356 KB, 960x960
>>
File: sdfgshmmm.jpg (127 KB, 600x591) Image search: [Google]
sdfgshmmm.jpg
127 KB, 600x591
>>
>>
>>60585315
what makes it pretentious?
what makes music, or art in general, pretentious?
if an art piece is pretentious on purpose/'ironically', does that make it pretentious?
is this reply pretentious?
>>
File: utterdismay.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
utterdismay.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>>60585353
>>
>>60585353
Kill yourself.
>>
>>60585415
Music is inherently pretentious, so...
>>
>>60585315
Terrible thread.

>>60585415
This.
>>
mogwai, c'mon die young
>>
This. So much this.
>>
File: file.png (661 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
file.png
661 KB, 1000x1000
Obviously.
>>
>>60585415
>>60585501
To be fair some music/art/etc. can be pretentious. Some of Lou Reed's lyrics are pretty bad but "cultured". There's countless other examples but I'm lazy.
>>
>>60585415
>what make someone hipster?
>what makes someone on 4chan autistic?
>>
You people misuse pretentious on here. Pretentious does not mean "more focused and thoughtful than pop music." It means music posturing to be more complex/intellectual than it actually is - thematic aims that aren't accomplished by the music, but the thematic content is transmitted in such a way as to indicate to the listener that the band are very sure they've done it. There's a difference between earnest attempts at something more than you are (The Shaggs) and pseudo-intellectual posturing (OK Computer). I don't think it's a substantive criticism of the music as far as personal quality appraisal, but I do think it's a substantive criticism of people who listen to the music and posture themselves as intellectuals. Returning to the OK Computer example, for instance, it does not make you smart or patrician to listen to OK Computer, and it does not take a huge expenditure of mental energy to understand Radiohead's ambitions on the album pretty much the first time around, yet Radiohead fans by and large pretend that OK Computer represents an unprecedented statement on post-industrial capitalism or is a complex album full of lyrical density that the average person can't hope to understand without repeated listens. This isn't true. It's just an updated version of The Wall, which is another example of a pretentious album. See also: U2 after War, Coldplay, Muse.
>>
>>60585315
used to be one of my favorite albums. it's still i guess. one of those albums that gave me the strangest meditative experiences. those are the kind of albums that help you open your soul and become one with nature.

vision creation newsun can do that too.
>>
>>60585604
Still Metallica's best.
>>
>>60585315
I think it's important to recognise that TIAY is really a soundtrack, and you're only getting half the experience by listening to the album.

Regardless, it's a really interesting listen and the second half has some of the best music the Knife ever put out. The Colouring of Pigeons is an obvious highlight (and contender for the Knife's best work) but Annie's Box, the title track and Geology are all terrific tracks. I hope everyone doesn't just dismiss TIAY as pretentious, as just like STH, not all of it is inaccessible and there's so,e really great stuff there.

Anyway, pic related (or the LP after it) is probably one of the most pretentious sounding post rock releases
>>
>>60585341
there's nothing about this album that tries to be more "out there" than anything else
>>
File: image.jpg (292 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
292 KB, 1200x1200
>>60587599
Meant to post this
>>
Music cannot be pretentious.

People can be pretentious.
>>
File: cover.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.