[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is my faggot friend right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
Is my faggot friend right?
>>
No. There's also sacred music.
>>
nah

gotta have music to smoke bud to
>>
>>60582767
hahahahahaha you look like a hispanic elliot rodgers
>>
>>60582767
he's staring at us..
>>
no call him a gay retard
>>
>>60582767
is ur faggot friend mexican?
>>
>>60582767
Unfortunately he is. Music is all about emotional connection from either the artist, the audience or both.
>>
>>60582801
>>60582946
Yea he's a huge spic
>>
>>60583156
You do know we don't tolerate racism here right?
>>
>>60582767
>pumping
wtf does this mean

also this guy is clearly a faggot, i suggest you stop talking to him
>>
>>60582767
He probably reads nietzsche
>>
>>60583099
Unless you count release of dopamine an emotion in and of itself this is wrong
>>
>>60583190
How so?

All art is rooted in emotion.
>>
>>60583168
>wtf does this mean

workout music. Twigs like you woudn't understand.
>>
>>60583228
>How so?
Because listening to "good" music triggers a release of dopamine that isn't linked to any specific emotion such as joy or sadness etc. Like I said, if you count release of dopamine as an emotion then you have a point, otherwise not.

>All art is rooted in emotion.
This just fucking begs for an explanation.
>>
>>60583246
that's really batty m8
>>
>>60583324
>Because listening to "good" music...
Not what we are talking about. Please keep up.
>This just fucking begs for an explanation.
Its pretty obvious. How is it wrong?
>>
>>60583228
>All art is rooted in emotion

Pretty much, I should also add that emotion is much more nuanced and complex than just happy sad or angry. Everything we do has an underlying emotional vibe too it, art explores these nuanced vibes and expresses what words alone can't
>>
>>60583412
You're a fucking idiot. Learn to discuss subjects like a human being instead of vaguely handwaving away everything I say.
>>
>>60583496
calm down
>>
>>60583496
Ooops you didn't seem to address anything I said. Learn to discuss subjects like a human being instead of vaguely handwaving away everything I say.
>>
>>60583527
You could start by actually refuting what I said here >>60583324 or elaborating on your claim that "all art is rooted in emotion", then I might actually have something to argue against.
>>
>>60583626
>ou could start by actually refuting what I said here >>60583324
It was a non sequitur. Release of dopamine has nothing to do with what I am telling you. Do you think all art attempts to make people happy?
>elaborating on your claim that "all art is rooted in emotion",
What about that is confusing you? If you were more clear, I could help.
>>
>>60583675
>It was a non sequitur. Release of dopamine has nothing to do with what I am telling you. Do you think all art attempts to make people happy?
It's my understanding that people generally tend to prefer listening to music that they actually enjoy (i.e. that triggers a release of dopamine) as opposed to music that they dislike. I never mentioned making people "happy". You seem to be conflating dopamine release with the concept of happiness, which is far more complex.
>What about that is confusing you? If you were more clear, I could help.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" —some smart guy
Apparently you don't know what you're talking about either. I can't say I'm surprised.
>>
>>60583854
>It's my understanding that people generally tend to prefer listening to music that they actually enjoy (i.e. that triggers a release of dopamine) as opposed to music that they dislike.
Audience perception is only half of it. Sometimes the purpose of art is the emotions of the artist, not the audience.
>You seem to be conflating dopamine release with the concept of happiness, which is far more complex.
I admit I am unfamiliar with the biological narrative of dopamine release; perhaps you can explain if dopamine is released with such emotions as anger and disgust and confusion and isolation and desolation?
>Apparently you don't know what you're talking about either. I can't say I'm surprised.
This guy seemed to get it >>60583461 why didn't you?

All artists create art based on an emotional inspiration. Much of that art communicates that emotion. Much of *that* attempts to communicate that emotion. Much of **that** is felt by the audience. Make sense?
>>
>>60583996
>Sometimes
i.e. not all the time, therefore emotion is not the "sole purpose" of music. So what are we arguing about again?
>I admit I am unfamiliar with the biological narrative of dopamine release; perhaps you can explain if dopamine is released with such emotions as anger and disgust and confusion and isolation and desolation?
Dopamine release is associated with pleasure and the reward system. It's not linked to any specific emotions, it could be released contemporaneously with all or none of the ones you named.
>This guy seemed to get it >>60583461
He probably didn't think about it enough.

>All artists create art based on an emotional inspiration.
Debatable. Much of all human activity is based on some kind of emotional inspiration. Does the desire to create music alone count as an emotion? I guess desire is probably an emotion.
That's why this is a difficult subject, because it depends what you classify as an emotion. I'm naturally averse to it because it reduces music and music analysis to "oh, in this piece the artist obviously wanted to evoke joy/sadness etc" whereas I feel the effect of music is simultaneously more simple and more complex than that.
>Much of
>Much of
>Much of
Again, you're pretty much agreeing with me here.
>>
>>60584379
>i.e. not all the time, therefore emotion is not the "sole purpose" of music.
You didn't read my full sentence. Try again.
>So what are we arguing about again?
idk you brought up something irrelevant. Maybe rethink your argument?
>Dopamine release is associated with pleasure and the reward system.
Ah. Well not all art is tied into pleasurable emotions. So your point is, as I said, not relevant.
>It's not linked to any specific emotions
Then why bring it up?
>Does the desire to create music alone count as an emotion? I guess desire is probably an emotion.
I'm glad to see you finally thought about it enough.
>I'm naturally averse to it because it reduces music and music analysis to "oh, in this piece the artist obviously wanted to evoke joy/sadness etc"
This is a problem with weak music critique, not a problem with art itself. Learn the difference.
>Again, you're pretty much agreeing with me here.
See above.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.