[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did one album manage to leave an entire community so buttblasted?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
>>
>>60576257
By thrusting a genre and aesthetic that prides itself on obscurity and unaccessibility into the public consciousness. If you've ever lifted up a giant rock in the woods and found a bunch of bugs living underneath it scrambling to find a new home where they can live in darkness again, that's pretty much what happened here.
>>
By being more hardcore than most other black metal at the time, but at the same time incorporating a variety of musical influences that go beyond just the juvenile aggression of modern metal.
>>
because /mu/ doesnt know shit about music
>>
>>60576330

so its like

millenials on /mu/ wanna be deep but
not too much or
hmm
>>
>>60576257
Because it brings something new to the table and as history shows when that happens people get upset. It might take a few years for them to realize their mistake.
>>
File: the epic.jpg (116 KB, 607x600) Image search: [Google]
the epic.jpg
116 KB, 607x600
>>
Sunbather is honestly like a 6 for me. New Bermuda is like a 8. Anyway Deafheaven sounds like a poorman's Wolves in the Throne Room to me.
>>
>>60576423

wrong thread
>>
>>60576257

Please Remember is the best song on that album

fight me
>>
>>60576349
>being more hardcore than most other black metal at the time
people always ignore this desu
it isn't like it's the most kvlt shit ever or even anywhere near it, but it's easily way harder than a lot of the stuff regularly tolerated in metal threads (ex. Panopticon and pretty much every other blackgaze band outside of deafheaven)
>>
Because TRVE KVLT black metal elitist's integrity is so fragile that anything that dares creep into their SEEKRIT CLVB automatically means its shit.

Source: dated one, fucking insufferable
>>
this shit is fucking gay, it isn't even TRVE KVLT you faggot and to top it off it is just post rock garbage that defeats the whole purpose of black metal. if you want black metal then don't smear it with your shitty artsy gay instrumentals and post rock you retard thats why it is shit because it IS NOT REAL BLACK METAL
>>
>>60576257
Bc they managed to be good at black metal but also appeal to people who don't hate life

The backlash against Sunbather was just one collective "REEEEEEE"
>>
Pretty much this >>60576671
Black metal fags really dont have much going and they don't like new stuff so they gunna shoot it down of course
>>
I sort of was always under the impression that Russian Circles was always basically Deafheaven's aesthetic , just without vocals...
>>
>>60576330
Hilarious analogy.

I'm not laughing at you; I'm just imaging a bunch of rolypolies going:

>lol p4k drone, listen to envy or burzum
>shit sucks
>fuck is this pussy hipster shit wheres my trve metal at
>>
>>60576425
It looks like you switched the scores there, buddy
>>
>>60576257
Because it's the Metal community.

>Hur dur Metal is for babies and retards.

I love some Metal, that being said. If you have a group of friends that likes Metal and you try to say something about another genre or that you dislike ________(put some band that is mainstream and a "milestone" on metal community, I don't know, something like Dream Theather) they will haunt your ass, because they don't know more genre and don't listen other thing that it isn't or too mainstream or too "oldie" (like Mirage from Camel , lol) so if you introduce something new to them, they're looking for something to shit on it.
>>
>>60576501

If he/she your ex?
>>60576627
>>
As I think back on it, I remember fondly the amount of turmoil that this album brought upon us all. They were better (read: god awful) times.

Fuck you, I like it.
>>
>>60576349
Black Metal isn't about being hardcore, you retard. Hell, Metal isn't about being hardcore. And making the statement you did about metal shows how little you actually listen to the genre. Stop talking about things on which you are clearly not an authority.
>>
>>60576257
It's so perfect that all the underage got confused because their small brains could not comprehend it
>>
im sure I'll catch shit for it, but I think Dream House is one of the best songs ever made.
>>
>>60578253
>being this triggered
>>
File: ldIRd.jpg (26 KB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
ldIRd.jpg
26 KB, 400x306
>>60578400
>>
>>60577092
i like how you avoided the comma splice.

then again, i capitalize absolutely nothing, so the playing field is even.
>>
>>60576257
Compared to black metal standards its pretty shit.
Compared to blackgaze standards its pretty rich.
I honestly love the album and would listen to it again sometime in the future. But it may have a metal influence but its not tru metal.
>>
>>60578360
This.
Honestly, the ending of that song is just so beautiful.
>>
>>60576671
+1
>>
File: a2613348647_10.jpg (71 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2613348647_10.jpg
71 KB, 1200x1200
>>60576257
not even the the most buttblasted the kvlt kvmmvnxty has gotten
>>
>>60576257
I guess I'm what you could call a metalhead, but I don't really have anything against this album, other than it just don't appeal to me. The melodies and riffs are simply too post-rocky/gazy/Smashing Pumpkins-tier. It could do with more subtlety. Its just all out patos ALL THE TIME, which makes it kinda of cringe-worthy. The production is pretty fucking good though.
>>
File: 2011krallice.jpg (18 KB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
2011krallice.jpg
18 KB, 300x264
>>60580424
>>60576257
I got both these albums from a mu collage called "hipster bm" it was p. cool.
I guess Krallice is sorta same story?
>>
>>60576257
it's black metal for shoegaze fans
>>
>>60580334
BLACK METAL ISN'T MEANT TO BE "BEAUTIFUL" ARRRRRGGGHH
>>
>>60576671
this desu
>>
>>60576257
i liked it, knew nothing of the community and it was the first black metal album i listened to
>>
>>60581078
Are you implying that In The Nightside Eclipse isn't beautiful? Or Hviss Lyset Tar Oss? Fuck off faggot
>>
>>60580857
no krallice actually gets a lot of repsect because they stay within the aesthetic of bm and don't really flaunt themselves like liturgy or deafheaven

i wouldn't really call them hipster black metal either but they're from brooklyn too so i guess it comes with the territory
>>
Most metalheads don't care about the album it's just pleb opinions like this >>60576349 which triggers some people

>>60581193

This is perfectly right by the way
>>
>>60580468
Is it really unfathomable for American me to be awake at 1:30 in the morning?
>>
>>60576423
>>/memejazz/
>>
>>60581185
This right here, I never thought I'd like anything even related to metal until I listened to this album, I even loved the screaming vocals, for the first time in my life. I don't know how it rates relatively to metal, but in general, without any context, it's easily an 8-8.5
>>
File: ToPimpAButterfly.0.jpg (83 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ToPimpAButterfly.0.jpg
83 KB, 600x600
How did one album create so many cu cks?
>>
>>60582253
Young white liberals are easily impressionable, and as soon as someone they hold in high regard (i.e. Kendrick) makes some sort of "important" statement, they are ready to jump on the band wagon and believe every word of it. It's also the timing; the presence of a whole movement of dindus that unfortunately are getting a lot of attention in the media contribute to this belief that minorities are actually being systematically oppressed, no matter how far from the truth that actually is.
>>
>>60576257
This band is the black metal version of The Arctic Monkeys.
They make easy to listen music, their fanbase is as young and pretentious as AM fanbase, and of course, if someone says "I like black metal, my favorite band is Deafheaven" is exactly the same as saying "I like indie rock, my favorite band is Arctic Monkeys".

And that's why no black metal fans take this band seriously. Just like no indie fan will take the Arctic Monkeys seriously.
>>
Basically, Deafheaven knows they aren't black metal, metal fans know this isn't black metal. It's the fucking pretentious music critic fags and indie faggots that don't listen to metal that jumped all over this album and proclaimed it the greatest black metal album ever despite not knowing anything about the genre. It's a decent album, but backlash was really about the pretentious faggots that got all butthurt when metalheads (who in turn also got butthurt) didn't see it as the greatest black metal album ever, so they started claiming metalheads were ignorant philistines who don't know shit about music and all that.
>>
>>60582416
This, and it makes me said that this is the truth. I think it's a really great album, and I hate that there is so much butthurt over it.
>>
>>60576671
incorporating black metal into their sound well and being good at black metal are not the same things anon
>>
>>60582442
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/why-are-black-metal-fans-such-elitist-assholes

Also this, I just really can't stand like, author related getting mad as fuck because metalheads don't love Deafheaven like he does. He also proves what a faggot people like him are by mocking Inquisition.
>>
>>60582416
this to be honest family

most of the 'controversy' surrounding deafheaven comes from music media and indiefags REEE'ing that metal fans don't like their approved form of black metal

memebather is an excellent album if you're new to extreme metal in general, but in no way is it 'the future of metal' anymore than aesthethica was two years before it
>>
>>60583061
I think a lot of metalheads, myself included, really don't mind people coming along and enjoying a metal band. If you're going to be a tourist don't shit all over the place and try to tell the locals how they should be doing things.
>>
I just fucking want another one. I want Sunbather 2, not New Bremuda. I'm fine if they want to move on and another artist to make something similar it's just I fucking want it so bad. The thing I've found closest is Moonlover and I've listened to it dozens of times, yet other stuff people have Rec'd me like liturgy, Wolves of the Throne Room, Alcest, Have a nice life, and couple others never quite matched it. WHY IS IT SO HARD, IT'S SINCE I LEFT YOU ALL OVER AGAIN. FUCK.
>>
>>60582445
Much of their music uses generic indie/post rock chord progressions and production but every musician in the band is proficient at the style. Even the first four minutes of their most popular track, Dream House, are pretty legit black metal, with drumming and guitar work appropriate to the style
>>
>>60584483
https://wedonthaveaname.bandcamp.com/album/demo

checkout their discography
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.