[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw can't sing worth a fuck this makes me more upset
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 3
File: 1373494459041.gif (486 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
1373494459041.gif
486 KB, 475x347
>tfw can't sing worth a fuck

this makes me more upset than being a hideous loser

How do you guys deal with this? Sing anyway?

pic related
>>
I play an instrument instead.

>inb4 vocal is an instrument meme
>>
You're probably not that bad OP
>>
just get good at writing songs and people will barely notice you have a shit voice
>>
I can sing decently so I dunno
>>
Who cares. Just look at Liam Gallagher.
>>
>>60573269
lets hear u
>>
>>60573171
>How do you guys deal with this? Sing anyway?

practice anything enough and you'll get better at it
>>
>>60573171
>How do you guys deal with this?
start an emo band, problem solved
>>
I just sing even though my voice is terrible and people, even strangers, have told me so to my face. I dont care singing feels good.
>>
>>60573693
Do you perform live? Or do you just sing out in public and people get upset?
>>
>>60573693

me too
>>
>>60573730
i sing wherever i want
>>
How can I post something here of me singing? I've had mixed reviews and I need a non-biased opinion

I have a clip on my pc I just want to throw up quickly, not looking to make a soundcloud or anything, is there a photobucket type thing for audio?
>>
I can sing not horribly but my voice tires and becomes raspy really quickly. It's probably my technique that sucks.

How do you sing without any effort/straining?
>>
Dude, really, I cannot stress to you enough that you just have to keep doing it. All the time. Get lessons to get the basic technique, but it's all about relaxing and feeling what's going on when you sing.

It's really important to me that you just keep trying because I really, really, REALLY could not sing at all until I started playing live in my band. A year later I'm the frontman of a different project. I used to be so insecure about and and still can't really sing all that well but I can do it and as long as you can just do it the rest will fall into place.
>>
>>60573811

this so much for me, I feel like I'm probably ruining my voice
>>
>>60573171
i just didn't sing because i was embarrassed

then i taught myself to sing and now I sing constantly although i'm p shy about it so i don't do it unless i'm alone or in a comfy situation

or performing but that's different
>>
>>60573808
vocaroo
>>
>>60573843
where did you teach yourself to sing?
>>
>>60573917
i was a huge Nirvana fan, so I would try to sing to that, and I learned the hard way that it didn't fit my range and that I wasn't meant for that kind of aggressive vocals. In just trying out different things, I found my voice by trying to sing along to the Beatles and Radiohead. I found out I can pull off a pretty high falsetto and from there just trying to match how their voices rise and fall in the songs I just figured it out. It was pretty similar not long after that when I found out I could get harsh in a similar style as the dude from Violent Femmes does, so then i got my kinda snarky vocals I can do too. I often flip between the smooth and snark

really though, just find your range. and then practice emulating people in that range
>>
>>60573992
How do you not strain your voice? I've extended my range over time but I always end up with a raspy voice after not even an hour of singing.
>>
>>60574272
it just takes practice and making sure you're using your chest voice. You should be able to sing without feeling any real strain pretty easily if it's not harsh. If you're shouting or yelling or whatever, it's normal for it to get a bit whack after a while
>>
But dude, failures always sounded better.
>>
Singing with emotion without sounding like a total dofus takes practice, alot for some if they dont have a good sense of drama.

One way of practicing it is making up characters, trying to sound like different persons, making up voices, ham it up, parody, etc etc.

After a while you will narrow it down to a style that suits your voice.

>>60573811
>>60573832
Practice, your throat isnt used to it, and trying to sing with force when you havent used your voice like that before will hurt a little untill you figure out how to get the same amount of force with minimum effort.
>>
>>60574584
now that I think about it, i've always been a big voice guy and loved making weird voices and exaggerations, so that may have contributed to why i figured out singing so quickly myself
>>
>>60574608
it's a pretty fun and great way to learn all the ways you can use your voice and the limits and reach of your voice.

And it isnt as heard to hear yourself in playback afterwards because your hamming it up anyways.
>>
>>60574661
>And it isnt as hard*
>>
>>60574608
>>60574584

Yeah just look at someone like Nick Cave, especially in his early stuff with The Birthday Party and the first few Bad Seeds albums. It's not conventionally good singing but it leaves a hell of an impression.
>>
>>60574697
>tfw David Yow's performances with Scratch Acid and Gira's way of drawing out senseless LA LA LA LA LA LOOOOOOO have become part of your vocal style
>>
>>60574697
alot of singers have a "character" when they sing. Some alot more than others, Tom Waits for example.
>>
Is there any way I can hear myself on my headphones as I'm speaking? I know how a good voice sounds and I have always been told I have a very nice sounding voice, but my singing tone is always out of tune or my tone straight up sucks, so I think if I could hear myself that would be so much better, I learned trumpet that way but the difference is that how you hear your trumpet is how everyone hears it.
>>
>>60573171
>How do you guys deal with this? Sing anyway?
Yes.
>>
>>60574777
>get the old Beatles stereo mixes
>the ones where all the vocals are in one ear and th einstruments in another
>remove headphone with instruments from ear
>keep volume low to moderate
>try singing

voila
>>
>>60574811
I would still hear the version of my voice I hear, I want to make small adjustments to the voice that comes out when recorded
>>
>>60574880
no because if you're singing out of tune, you'll know it because you'll have the Beatles singing along beside you. You use them as the marker
>>
>>60574880
>get microphone
>get headphones
>have monitoring set on
>crank up headphones
>hear yourself in headphones

How hard can this be?
>>
File: apestanza.jpg (24 KB, 333x297) Image search: [Google]
apestanza.jpg
24 KB, 333x297
I'm a decent singer.
>>
>>60574921
What is monitoring set?? I do have a headset
>>
>>60574965
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVC-IeFOiM
>>
>>60575109
Ty Mr. Anon
>>
>>60573171
just sing bruh, i sing like shit but i like doing it, some people like the way i sing too, eventually you'll develop your own style
>>
>>60574584
you're probably right. I sing for an hour every friday and monday in my car while I travel between cities but I'm alone for the whole week so I don't talk at all. My muscles probably just get weak during the week and aren't used to it when I do use them.
>>
>learning to play drums
>arms in serious pain

i just want to play like John Bonham
>>
>>60574965
>>60575109
hey guys, is their a mic for under 100 bucks I can get that will record better than this?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1FIP49hHArB
>>
>>60575440

>Led Zeppelin II
>Led Zeppelin I
>Led Zeppelin IV
>Led Zeppelin III
>>
>>60573768
There's this guy who wears a dress vest and fedora everyday to university and sings his guts out as wanders around and its incredibly obnoxious and everyone gives him a wide berth.

are you that guy?
>>
>>60575478
Shure Sm57 is like 60$ and if I'm not mistaken is the one Sufjan used to record Illinois
>>
>>60575440
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Cn2ONTGlpD

hey man I like Led Zeppelin too.
>>
>>60575667
does every uni have this because there's one at mine too
>>
>>60575667
Holy fucking shit do you go to Keene State College??? We had a guy called Fedora man who wandered campus and did exactly the same thing all day and all night
>>
>>60573171
I just listen to jeff mangum and realize I can literally do anything
>>
>>60575796
Probably because he's mediocre as fuck
>>
>>60573171
never stopped Wayne Coyne
>>
>>60575687
Thanks man, I sincerely appreciate it.
>>
>>60575667
>>60575760
God damn I think it would be cool if people would actually do this at my uni, we just have a bunch of skateboard bros that cant land kickflips and shout and curse and throw their boards and make a giant fucking scene. Its annoying as shit
>>
>>60575843
Nor did it stop Joanna Newsom.
>>
>>60575901
Lol no this guy sucked. He was wicked autistic and thought his boring acapella of songs that people normally liked sounded good at any hour of the day and night.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s15TyANnTsig
>>
>>60575760
No I go to Uvic. I guess there's an epidemic of these guys or something.
>>
>>60575667
yes
>>
File: jar jar suicide.png (230 KB, 280x352) Image search: [Google]
jar jar suicide.png
230 KB, 280x352
>>60573171
>tfw can sing
>can play several instruments
>knows music theory

>wants to make electronic music
>knows fuck all about production

Just fuck me up senpai.
>>
>>60576032
please stop then.
>>
>>60576357
nah lol
>>
>>60576014
post more low-fi please
>>
Sing anyway.

Plenty of people can't sing for shit but get by with it
>>
I used to be completely unable to sing.
For the past few years I've practiced just by singing somethings, recording it, listening back, deleting it, and trying again. And again. And again. Now I can sing relatively in tune and can often pick up on a melody and copy it, but my voice itself, in terms of volume and depth and junk, still sucks. But after some more years of practice I bet I'll be close to passable.

So to answer your question, just keep doing it and working on it.
>>
>>60576510
https://clyp.it/m03z2ldy
https://clyp.it/web4rx0t
Not him but I'd love to know what to improve

One is an animal collective song, another one is one I made, 3 chords between the two songs bahahah
>>
Just sing lol, if your shit just make your music lo-fi or something
>>
>>60573171
I sang anyway and now people won't stop comparing me to Morrissey. You got this anon.
>>
>>60577139
Like I whisper into the mic and people think I'm sad?
>>
>>60577100
take everything i say with a grain of salt b/c i just took a few shots. loving the song choice, loving the guitar work, but it seems like you're trying too hard to get your voice out of your throat. seems somewhat unnatural. just sing however it comes out, like you're singing in the shower, and you'll be much better off. best of luck to you!
>>
>>60576014
How did you actually manage to get such a bad recording? but besides that, like 70% of the song was good, I know it's hard to sing like you want to all the time but you gotta try
>>
>>60577427
Okay I'll try thank youw
>>
>>60577523
hey, but that being said, your voice is much better than many people i know, so keep at it.i believe in you, onii-chan
>>
Only been singing for about two months now

Still think I'm shit but I'm getting there

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1TENYxpZQzR
>>
>>60575667
unlv here and we have one of these as well
>>
>>60578125
You sound good at times and bad at others. I think you'll do good if you keep singing.
>>
dont mind me just testing
>>
>>60578474
Yeah my throat is fucked right now so I think that has a lot to do with messing up on reaching notes currently
>>
>>60578125
You should only sing so soft if you're singing shoegaze, it's really hard to tell what's wrong when you can barely hear, but I really like your voice, a bit wimpy, but only attitude fixes that, also you can't just flat out sing the note and force a small vibrato, if you're singing like you should it should come out by itself, but I guess that's just side effects of wimpery mostly
>>
>>60576101

Go to /prod/
Learn to use a daw
Do it faggot
>>
>>60573171
I like unconventional vocals, nothing turns me off from music more than a conventionally perfect vocals
>>
>>60580761
For me it depends, I hate people who sing like Celine Dion, high but not Joanna high female voices, and I hate wimpy male voices, like from every punk emo band ever, it's the only flaw I see in AmFo.
>>
I got better with time, but it is tough to sing over amplified instruments without a decent PA system.

>>60573992
I did find out recently that I can scream hardcore / rock vocals, but I can't really sing proper rock vocals.

In my regular voice I'm much flatter and I can't really sing in that with much range, but I can do falsetto with decent range, but I have nothing in between and this bugs me.
>>
>>60574584
This is one of the best posts on here about this subject that I've read.

One of the things that took me a long time to get the hang of and understand was being able to sing in a sort of style of character that fits my voice and the mood of what I was going for in the song.

Part of "finding your voice" means going through this process. It makes your singing voice far less stiff and autistic sounding.
>>
>>60574921
Use earbuds and headphones and try to sing in tune with them. That's a trick I tried when trying to double track vocals.
>>
guys, I need feedback
do i have a future in music?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0F17J65p17W
>>
>>60582904
tbhtbhsmhsmhtbhfam
>>
>>60580556
Yeah I'm normally not that quiet

That was just a side effect of singing at 2 am and having to keep it down
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.