[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a more unoriginal, overrated, derivative album this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: i-love-you-honeybear-400x400.jpg (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
i-love-you-honeybear-400x400.jpg
39 KB, 400x400
Is there a more unoriginal, overrated, derivative album this year?

HARDMODE: [spoiler]Not TPAB[/spoiler]
>>
>>60568734
Nice buzzwords. If you explain yourself like a big boy, I might give you a non-meme response.
>>
DON'T EVER DOUBT THIS
>>
>>60568734

I have no idea what this is, so maybe.
>>
>unoriginal, overrated, derivative
None of these are criticisms
I dunno, maybe you're not trying to criticize the album and you actually like it, but it seems like you are so I thought I'd let you know
>>
Take-two.

Everytime I see a conversation for album of the year, this one always comes up, and I ALWAYS give it a relisten to see if it hits me harder than previous listens. And I just don't understand.

I'm not saying it's bad, because it isn't. It's fine, maybe even good. But I don't understand what this album does better than countless other similar artists. Like, what sets this guy apart? I genuinely want someone to explain this to me
>>
File: JT.png (100 KB, 270x251) Image search: [Google]
JT.png
100 KB, 270x251
>>60568734
>HARDMODE: [spoiler]Not TPAB[/spoiler]
>>60568871
>Take-two

W E W
E
W
>>
>>60568871
the songs he writes sound nice and his lyrics are interesting and funny and ironic (people who deny this and participate in discussion around his lyricism only serve to emphasise this fact more)
>>
>>60568871
Have you ever been madly, deeply in love? Are you currently? I've acknowledged to myself that if I wasn't, it wouldn't have resonated nearly as deeply.

On the other end of that spectrum, I never really cared for Unknown Pleasures for opposite reasons.
>>
>>60568734
>TPAB
>unoriginal
Call it bad or a meme or White Guilt: Te Album, whatever. But it's very original.
>inb4 ATCQ and Digable Planets
No, it uses live jazz instrumentation
>inb4 Jazzmatazz
No, it takes influence in soul and funk as well. And those are all east coast albums. And Kendrick uses different flows and inflections throughout the album. And each song has its own individual concept as well as a concept that ties into the overall theme of love and individualism.

I only think it's a 7.5-8/10, but fuck me if it isn't original dude
>>
>>60569205
(OP)

I don't think it's bad. It's my AOTY, possibly AOTD but this board has a huge distate for it for some reason, so I was just nipping that in the bud.
>>
Excluding TPAB doesn't change anything as TPAB is objectively one of the top five releases this year, disagreeing is contrarian.
>>
>>60569205
Original for hip-hop, certainly, but far from original as far as music in general goes
Not arguing the album's quality, mind you, it's definitely in my top 5 of this year, but really it's only original within the confines of its genre which is fairly reliably derivative in and of itself
>>
>>60568734
no. next thread?

It's just primetime NMEcore, why are you surprised?
>>
fuck off nigger
>>
>>60569278
>I don't think it's bad. It's my AOTY, possibly AOTD
>
>>
beach house
>>
>>60568871
He's just genuinely funny in a satirical sense, I think that's the main appeal for me.
>>
To answer your question OP, TMLT
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.