[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I love Built to Spill and Modest Mouse but i can't really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1425580993251.jpg (65 KB, 534x542) Image search: [Google]
1425580993251.jpg
65 KB, 534x542
So I love Built to Spill and Modest Mouse but i can't really get as into Guided by Voices or Pavement. Why do people lump these four bands together as all sounding similar?

long story short, rec me some Guided by voices or Pavement songs that sound like BTS or MM songs /mu/
>>
which pavement and GBV albums have you listened to?
>>
>>60566372
I think I know why you don't like Pavement and GBV.

Pavement and GBV tend to be more on the lo-fi guitar pop end of the spectrum, whereas Built To Spill and MM are bands that tend to let their songs develop a little bit more, and allow for time to go on a little longer if needs be.

Although if you just revisit Alien Lanes, I'm sure you could find something to love
>>
Pavement and Guided By Voices aren't anything like Built to Spill or Modest Mouse. They were all just big 90s indie rock bands, but outside of that you can't really compare them too much.
So basically listen to them not expecting something like Modest Mouse and Built to Spill.
>>
>>60566372
What is wrong with you? Have you heard Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes? The best songs on those albums are the best songs written by any of the bands you named
>>
Built to Spill and MM are personal favourites with Pavement just being ok(Wowwe Zowwee is great though).
GBV is something I just could never get, too lofi or something with nothing gripping about them. Just my opinion, could always change with time though.
>>
>>60566907(me)
For Pavement try Grounded, AT & T, Kennel District and Grave Architechture
>>
Don't worry, Pavement isn't actually worth getting into.
>>
>>60566809
bee thousand and alien lanes are kinda shit, i expected to love them but no
>>
>>60566372
Yeah, I've never really gotten the comparisons either. I guess they're all prominent 90's indie rock bands?

Anyway I like all of them. To get into Pavement I'd recommend listening to crooked rain, Crooked Rain and going from there.

GBV is harder since they have so many fucking albums, But I'd say anywhere from Propeller to Earthquake Glue is a good starting point. Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes in particular are usually considered their bests, but they can be kinda overwhelming (Alien Lanes has damn near 30 songs)
>>
>>60566372
OP if you want the slick end of GBV, you're looking for tracks like Everywhere With Helicopter, The Best of Jill Hives, Back to the Lake, Chasing Heather Crazy, etc from their late 90s/early 2000s

if you want their quality shit, just start with Bee Thousand, then Alien Lanes, then Propeller. I hated GBV at first, but Bee Thousand is now one of my all-time faorites
>>
File: ishygddt.jpg (23 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.jpg
23 KB, 600x600
>>60567000
>i don't like them so therefore they're shit
>>
>>60567655
please do tell me specifically why they are great then

inb4
>they are great because i like it
>>
>>60567680
it fuses art punk, garage rock, psychedelic, pop, and outsider music to create this incredibly gripping, meaningful atmosphere. These were literally dudes in Dayton Ohio making albums for shits and giggles, and Bee Thousand was going to be their last one before they gave up and just focused on their normal careers. It has an immediacy and intimacy of friends making weird shit in a basement because that's literally what it is

and don't get me started on the melodies
>>
>>60567769
Not to mention they often got very drunk while doing so. There's just something so damn charming about their music.
>>
>>60566372
same boat as you fåm
well, pavement are alright, gbv are just meh to me.
>>
>>60566988
str8 up

Love MM, think BtS is alright, but not a big fan of Pavement or Guided by Voices.
>>
>>60566988
Crooked rain is amazing though m8
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.