[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frank Zappa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Zappa_One_Size_Fits_All[1].jpg (70 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Zappa_One_Size_Fits_All[1].jpg
70 KB, 400x400
so, I just started listening to FZ with this record and I really like it, but his catalogue is so damn huge I don't know where to continue. what's the best one? which Frank would you Zappa?
>>
>>60561888
It really is kinda tough getting started with him, but you chose a fantastic starting point.

For more like that album listen to Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe, Roxy and Elsewhere and Zoot Allures.

If you want to hear his more Jazzy and instrumental side try out Hot Rats, Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo. Also his guitar solo oriented albums such as Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar and Guitar are great.

For his more satirical and comedic side start at the beginning with The Mothers of Invention albums, Freak Out, Absolutely Free and We're Only In It for the Money.

And then there's also great albums like Joe's Garage, Sheik Yerbouti and You Are What You Is which kinda mix his One Size Fits all style with more straightforward Rock music and his humorous side.
>>
uncle meat and burnt weeny sandwich capture his proggier side like one size fits all
>>
File: 935_large_1[1].jpg (80 KB, 600x765) Image search: [Google]
935_large_1[1].jpg
80 KB, 600x765
>>60562022
Thanks anon, gonna check out Zoot Allures and Sheik just because of those titles. I think I'm gonna be more interested in the fusion-y side of his stuff than the humorous overall though.
>>
My favorite Zappa is Freak Out. Weasels Ripped My Flesh is a close second though.
>>
>>60562197
Yeah those are two good choices. I'm the same way, I appreciate Zappa as a composer and a guitarist much more than as a vocalist/lyricist/comedian. Though I enjoy the majority of his work.

You really can't go wrong with any of his 70s output though.
>>
Start by listening to the original albums with the Mothers of Invention (Freak Out, Absolutely Free, For the Money, Uncle Meat, Burnt Weeny, Weasels) t b h
>>
File: frank zappa.jpg (3 MB, 2856x2616) Image search: [Google]
frank zappa.jpg
3 MB, 2856x2616
>>
>>60562927
>vynil
>>
>>60562197
Apostrophe is objectively his best record. As far as his albums go, it is the most consistent. Has a cool little story in it as well.
>>
>>60563046
>apostrophe
>not Waka/Jawaka or WOIIFTM
>>
>>60563046
>Apostrophe is objectively his best record.
Apostrophe is objectively babby's first Zappa record.

I mean it's good but Zappa's one of the last artists you can easily assign a "best album" to.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.