[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into classical music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 057 - 1vbzDPb.jpg (10 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
057 - 1vbzDPb.jpg
10 KB, 224x225
How do I into classical music?
>>
dont do it anon
>>
>>60560983
>frogs
I'm not going to help you.
>>
Get a book on the history of western art stuff and just go along with it. Listen to the pieces listed out, try to understand what innovations these composers introduced and maybe knowing some music theory could help.

I'm using this method right now and I feel like I'm learning a lot on both the history and appreciation.
>>
>>60561056
Honestly this, the context is immensely important when it comes to appreciating classical music. Couple that with that one music sampler chart and you should be good to go
>>
>>60560983
Don't, classical will turn you into a intellectual pretentious douchebag.
>>
>>60560998
>>60561277
>and these are the posters who call themselves patricians
>>
Just pretend to like it like every other classical listener.

Seriously, classical music was only popular at the time because rock and jazz didn't exist yet, and even that it was basically just the top 40 shit of that era.
>>
>>60560983
I started with Verklärte Nacht. From there you could move to dvorak or rautavaara, or more of shoenberg's early work.

Most people probably wouldn't start from there, but my problem with classical was that it wasn't daring enough.
>>
>>60561056
>Get a book on the history of western art stuff
any recs? what are you reading
>>
>>60560983
Typically the popular artists are the best places to start, unlike modern music we've had time to discern the better artists of the time period.

Mozart
Beethoven
Bach
Schubert
Schumann
Mendelssohn

>>60560998
>>60561277
>>60561385
>>60561423
don't listen to these people, classical music is the most diverse genre but you should learn to appreciate the "classics" first before stepping deeper.
>>
>>60561432
http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/music/kamienb/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWerj8FcprM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEOo28lsbc

these pieces got me interested,

personally i would start with nineteenth century romantic composers
>>
>>60561953
Liszt too, and Tchaikovsky
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 1024x576
>>60561953
linksfötter då, mannen
>>
Someone should make up an infograph for new people to classical.

No, CLTs look-at-me chart of 25 albums doesn't count or work.
>>
>>60561953
Western Classical Music might be the greatest genre ever, but it's definitely not the most diverse.
>>
>>60561953
I don't know, I couldn't appreciate the classics until I heard the far out stuff. Might be different for other people.

You should try both approaches and see which works best.
>>
>>60561385
Yeah, and in that era, music wasn't appreciated in the same way as it is now. Music is though of more as entertainment now, and it's also a product. Back then you had to go out of your way for music, or you had to play it yourself.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.