[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did they do it ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: Ark.jpg (80 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
Ark.jpg
80 KB, 319x319
It's like I'm listening to music of 2050.
It's so forward thinking and groundbreaking, 30 years from now HHH will be regarded as a genius calling it now
>>
>>60560209
I was listening to that the other day and I realized that the way they play on the first track is an imitation of what it sounds like when you time stretch music in a daw past the point it sounds natural and the individual samples start becoming audible.
>>
>>60560320
the first track is basically a midi rendition of wagners overture to the meistersingers
>>
>>60561368
i meant the second one.
>>
this album is an example of how bad mastering can literally ruin good music
>>
underrated album used to be my aoty but got trumped by art angels and emotion
>>
>>60560209
Daily reminder this album has a 2.72 on RYM
>>
>>60561483
lmao

>>60561484
The album sucked but who cares what those idiots think
>>
>>60561456
So it isn't just me?
The low end is stupidly high
>>
>>60561494
What! Has the circlejerk shifted? does /mu/ hate rym now?
>>
>>60561456
ACTUALLY tRIPLE H Said thats how he want it to be mastered

http://reignarray.tumblr.com/
https://vimeo.com/49643883
legit madmen
>>
>>60561496
>The low end is stupidly high
the fuck? no, it's the opposite brah.You have to turn it up so loud to hear the low end that the high end kills your brain.
>>
>>60560209

It's pretty good. 7.5-8/10
>>
This album is full-on style over substance. Except that it reverses what's commonly thought of as style and substance, and somehow manages to turn what would normally be the meat of a composition into superficial, shallow wankery aimed at "music connoisseurs" who will feel smart for recognizing classical references in it, and will thereby overlook the fact that it sounds like ass, simply because it reminded them of stuff that doesn't sound like ass.

And then there's also the idiots who value experimentation for its own sake and will praise it to high heaven just because of its novelty value (which is not very high considering how derivative it actually is) and invoke big words like "originality" and "creativity" to describe it.
>>
>>60561671

What is it derivative of? In popular music I mean. Obviously all popular music is derivative of classical music in some ways.
>>
>>60561732
are you for serious? In most of his interviews HHH mentions at least three things he drew inspo from.

It's pretty much just "hey, that thing sounds cool, I know, I should totally put that in my new album, I bet that's gonna sound natural, organic and cohesive, just like Wagner said it should! There's no way just smashing together a bunch of heterogenous genres and spending months cobbling together the resulting mess is gonna sound contrived and artificial, nuh-uh."
>>
>>60561801

You didn't answer my question. I don't care if you think it sounds like shit, I'm asking if you can name another album that sounds remotely like it.
>>
>>60561824
See that's the thing: it's derivative from so many different things at the same time that it ends up sounding like none of them as a whole, but you can easily reduce it to identifiable sources. An Anon earlier compared the rhythms to Philip Glass' music, the first track is a reference to a track from Bathory (if it had a seizure), Vitriol is based on the flows used by Three Six Mafia, Quetzalcoatl is based on gabber techno, the vocals are HHH's attempt at putting rapping in a BM-ish album like Mayhem did fifteen years ago, etc...
>>
>>60561801
You have no idea what the Wagner meant with gesamtkunstwerk do you?
You don't seem to know what you're talking about.
>>
>>60561890
So what you're saying is that it has tons of influences across many genres.
That doesn't make it derivative.
>Steve reich was so derivative of African music and renaissance music
That's how you sound
>>
>>60561912
I'm reading The Art Work of the future and so far it describes the polar opposite of HHH's laborious attempt to stitch together his favorite songs into a single album.

>>60561935
It does. If it really did come up with entirely new approaches and ideas then its novelty value would be higher.
>>
File: mallgoth metal.jpg (664 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
mallgoth metal.jpg
664 KB, 1200x600
>>60560209
How about you listen to actually interesting and forward thinking music instead of this amateur trash
>>
>dull Krallice-tier guitar work
>stock Ableton stuttering effects
>keyboard arrangements that Emperor did better almost 20 years ago
So forward-thinking. The only decent aspect of the album is the drumming, and it's not like their previous (better) releases didn't already have that covered.
>>
>>60561484
Too high tbf
>>
>>60560209
I wonder how Liturgy fans can defend this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6G1QAJ6ntk
>>
>>60562003
So steve reich is derivative to you.
>>
Might as well say Monteverdi and Schoenberg are derivative too
>>
>>60561512
The idea that you rely on a certain review site to formulate your opinions has always been looked down upon.

Look, I look at (especially) Metacritic and a few other review sites, too, but ultimately the fact that the Ark Work has a Metacritic score of 62 doesn't prevent me from throughly enjoying (or respecting, if applicable) the album.
>>
File: 1446050257624.jpg (21 KB, 549x543) Image search: [Google]
1446050257624.jpg
21 KB, 549x543
>>60561671
>invoke big words like "originality" and "creativity"
>You think these are big words
>You think originality and creativity aren't important
>>
>>60561890
>that it ends up sounding like none of them as a whole
So you answered his question. You were wrong.
>>
>>60562391
How on earth are either of those comparable to Liturgy?
>>
>>60562003
>entirely new approaches
But it clearly did, since these other albums didn't have the approaches that the Ark Work did, or it would have been the same.

Putting two disparate components that would in most situations not be brought together is, yes, creative and original (no matter how much you seem to think creativity and originality are bad things).

You have no idea how embarrassing you sound.
>>
>>60562461
Compare the opening overture of L'Orfeo to Fanfare.
But both took their best work from prior artists and ideals. Tht doesn't make them derivative.
>>
>>60562469
>Putting two disparate components that would in most situations not be brought together is, yes, creative and original
It's this kind of thinking that makes most modern prog bad. I don't see how TAW is any different.
>>
>>60562490
Then what do you think of Steve Reich or Rimsky Korsakov or Bela Bartok
>>
>>60560209
Why the fuck are people still discussing this garbage
>>
>>60562520
Various things aside from the fact that they're irrelevant to this discussion. Those composers' works didn't act like a pick'n'mix of styles co-existing in one place purely for the sake of them being there, but rather they married various influences together in a more seamless fashion by recognising their shared musical conventions.
I equate TAW with those kinds of goofy prog albums that assume cramming lots of conflicting genres into one song automatically makes it better.
>>
>>60562640
You're pretending that HHHs fusion of various post internet influences with rock an classical music was not sincere.
>>
>>60562678
I'm not saying it wasn't sincere. I don't really care how sincere it was, sincerity does not automatically make good music. Point is TAW feels like a collection of loose influences that exist in a vacuum rather than working together to develop a cohesive piece of music.
HHH may very well be trying to tick boxes through all these influences in order to best convey whatever philosophical constructs he wants, but ultimately it comes across as if zero thought has been put into how all these elements should integrate into the same musical space, outside of "they're just there".
>>
I can understand some subjective arguments about the record: not liking the mixing, not liking HHH's voice, not liking the MIDI instruments. These are personal gripes that I don't have but other people do and I get that people have trouble with them.

But just because you have personal gripes does not mean you get to take these minute, subjective distastes with the record and then MAGNIFY THEM as ITT as if they are somehow objective and apply for every listener.

Let's have a good discussion about the compositions on the record but let's keep the discussion also on substantive shit, not "HHH is a pretentious hack."
>>
>>60562913
>But just because you have personal gripes does not mean you get to take these minute, subjective distastes with the record and then MAGNIFY THEM as ITT as if they are somehow objective and apply for every listener
You're literally asking /mu/ to not be /mu/.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.