[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this never discussed? This is the closest an artist has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 206_1000.jpg (252 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
206_1000.jpg
252 KB, 600x600
Why is this never discussed?

This is the closest an artist has ever gotten to capturing depression on a record - and no, I'm not talking about that whiney, angsty shit people mistake for real depression
>>
>>60556094
what are other albums you think have come close?
>>
>>60556094
I also love this shit, the opener is gorgeous
>>
>DUDE BROKE MY LEGS LMAO

meh
>>
>my depression is better than your depression
I'd say kill yourself but you're probably too cool for that
>>
No deathconsciousness is
>>
>>60556107
Leaves Turn Inside You comes to mind

>>60556126
The backstory adds to the experience, but the music speaks for itself

>>60556131
Certain types of depression are more aesthetic/developed than others, deal with it

>>60556149
That's a good one
>>
File: cover.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
>>60556199
if you're worried about how aesthetic your depression is you possess a rare luxury.
most folks are too busy being in pain.

also i'm a big fan of Smog's Red Apple Falls, as depictions of depression go.
>>
>>60556094
>>60556199
>Certain types of depression are more aesthetic/developed than others, deal with it

You sound like a tool jesus.
>>
>>60556199
>Certain types of depression are more aesthetic/developed than others, deal with it
Physically die
>>
>>60556237
Eh, I've generally experienced depression as more of a persistent emptiness rather than an obvious 'pain' or something

>>60556247
>>60556381
Compare a 'depressed' edgy 15 year old and a depressed man in his 50s who's slaving away for some corporation

Both might be experiencing a similar degree of (subjective) emotional discomfort, both might have suicidal thoughts, etc. but they're still vastly different aesthetically
>>
>>60556494
>tfw no A E S T H E T I C depression
>>
>>60556094
Thanks anon, this up my alley
>>
>>60556511
It's all about ascending m8

First you start feeling like shit, then you stop feeling things, then you try to kill yourself

People need to learn how to do this properly, they're still stuck in Stage 1
>>
>>60556589
or fall into drug addiction
>>
>>60556494
>Compare a 'depressed' edgy 15 year old and a depressed man in his 50s who's slaving away for some corporation

I don't see how angst, over-the-top or whatever kind you dislike, has a cutoff age. One of my favorite depressing pieces of music is done by two men in their late 30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABU8rUf6RXU

However I see your point on some level. My favorite breakup album is almost completely devoid of any real crying kind of angst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88AR5INIeFs

So yeah.
>>
>>60556094
>>60556199
OP, I'm sorry to break it to you, but most of the music there is happy music - they are love songs inspired by his then-gf / now-wife Alfreda Benge. Most of it was written / produced prior to the accident.
>>
>>60557165
>Most of it was written / produced prior to the accident.

This. But to be honest it doesn't stop its depressive subject matter man.

I hurt in the head, and I hurt in the aching bone.
Now I smash up the telly with remains of the broken phone.

I fighting for the crust of the little brown loaf.
I want it. I want it. I want it. Give it to me.
I give it you back when I finish the lunchtea.

I lie in the road, try to trip up the passing cars.
Yes, me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day.
As we roll down the highway towards the setting sun,
I reflect on the life of the highwayman, yum yum.

Now I smash up the telly and what's left of the broken phone.

But I can't understand the different you
In the morning when it's time to play
At being human for a while.
Please smile.

_________

Your lunacy fits neatly with my own,
My very own.
>>
>>60557183
Those parts from Sea Song are really portrayal of happiness and content. Sea Song is absolutely about Alfreda, he's probably saying that he doesn't always understand her, but he still welcomes and embraces her and her differences.

As for the end of the album - that's actually an interesting subject. On Little Red Riding Hood you get this story of a man accidentally running over animals (moles I think - reference to Matching Mole) on the highway and then feeling sorry for them (Why did I hurt you / I didn't mean to hurt you)

But in Cutler's recital at the end of the album he acts out the roles of the mole and how they jump under the cars on purpose (I lie in the road, try to trip up the passing cars.
Yes, me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day.)

You can make of that what you want, but I seriously doubt it's depression, it's just a matured Wyatt (having gone through Soft Machine and Matching Mole) reflecting on his life in his own way.
>>
>>60556094
One of my favourite albums of all time. The feeling and mood conveyed in this albums is masterful. I have cried many times to this album and I believe I am a different person because of this album.
>>60556494
>>60557146
I don't think the age of a person making an album should really matter, Wyatt was only 29 when Rock Bottom was released.
>>60557183
I hardly see any of those lyrics as depressive.
>>
>>60557279
>I don't think the age of a person making an album should really matter, Wyatt was only 29 when Rock Bottom was released.

Well...yes. I agree. That's the point I was making.
>>
>>60557301
I know man, just pointing it out to the other guy
>>
Bill Callahan exists
>>
>>60557241
I always feel like the playing at "being human for a while" was kind of somber. We like to tend to our vices and hobbies, but are subject to society's cogs and have to go back and join the machine every morning. It's a livin' as they say.

>I lie in the road, try to trip up the passing cars.
Yes, me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day

You don't find that kind of existence depressing? From dawn 'till dusk, attempting to trip up the passing cars which will kill you?
>>
File: 133324490.jpg (82 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
133324490.jpg
82 KB, 680x680
>>60556199
>aesthetic as an adjective
>>
>>60557632
Maybe she's just a shut-in kind of person and he wants her to be more open generally rather than grounded and "real". I don't think he's being sad about it, just contemplating.

As for the hedgehog - listen to the music and to Ivor's voice. That's the beauty of that moment - while the driver is losing it over the fact that he's killing animals, they're just sick fucks who like to crash cars and mess with the drivers.

Alternatively, it can be a look on his relationship with Soft Machine.
>>
>>60557241
Overall, I don't think it's happy at all. The music itself is an erratic drone of a man withering away (until the end, which I take as a sort of cathartic rebirth). You can't listen to him respiring 'alifib' and think it's a wholly sane and content man.
>>
>>60559146
Okay, I take my words back saying it's "happy music". It's not happy music, nor is it depressing music - there's no definitive mood there at all, it's rather a huge dive into the psyche of a contemplating man, where he's taking everything into account. But his wondering is most definitely based on happiness, it's just not childish and quirky anymore.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.