[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PEDALS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
Who want's to talk about pedals? I play bass and want to be able to have more tones and such, the only pedal i have, my sisters boss distortion, only seems to make my bass sound louder and shittier. What's a good bass distorter? Also what pedals in general are cool. Bass pedals or non-bass whatever
>>
can someone rec a good compression pedal?

i wanna crush my signal pretty hardcore like
>>
File: board 11-21-15.jpg (805 KB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
board 11-21-15.jpg
805 KB, 4128x2322
posting my board again cause it's got a supermoon on it. absolutely killer reverb unit.

a great bass distortion is actually the boss bass overdrive. can't really go wrong with it, it has a pretty wide range of control. if you want a fuzz, go the route of a russian big muff or a proper clone.
>>
>>60552996
the dyna comp is pretty great for the price, gets really extreme really quickly.
>>
File: 1443659294688s.jpg (3 KB, 116x125) Image search: [Google]
1443659294688s.jpg
3 KB, 116x125
>>60553045
ty mate
>>
Want this so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSv5CeAnqrY
>>
>>60553019
I have that exact same Russian big muff pi pedal and have used it for ~10 years. Just purchased last week a E-H Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi. Best decision of my musical life. It is a must-have for bass players
>>
>>60553045
noob here, so basically this pedal will make the instrument not go from reallyquiet T O F U C K E N L O U D like how it usually does when pressing a certain pedal? particularly this happens with distortions
>>
I sold most of my pedals cuz I got rid of my amps. I just use plug-ins now, but just until I graduate and get money. A year ago, I had

>Digi Whammy
>Pigtronics D'Angellico II
>Malekko Ekko 616
>EHX Big Muff (modded for switchable feedback loops)
>EHX Big Muff tone/wicker
>EHX Iron Lung
>EHX Octave Mupltiplexer
>Morpheus Capo
>Dunlop Wah
>MXR Phase 90, Dist III

now I just run on amplitube which has been great so far desu
>>
>>60553142
not necessarily. what a compressor does is it evens out your signal. your quiets are a bit louder, your louds don't jump out as much. you can either set the compressor to have louder output than your guitar signal when you step on it or quieter output, so it isn't necessarily louder. a pedal that would solely increase the level is just a boost pedal like the MXR Micro Amp or Cusack Louder.

the "squishy" tone that compressors often put out is well-exemplified here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45SbMkssKR0

note how his clean tone sounds really thick and full, but doesn't have much dynamic range. also note how his strings sound very even and balanced out.
>>
>>60552980
a classic RAT distortion is great on bass. I would seriously recommend Abominable Electronics' Don't Shred On Me pedal, thing fucking rips.

http://www.abominableelectronics.com/products/5995153-dont-shred-on-me-rat-w-balls

it's also a small company run by one dude and everything is hand-made and screen printed, so it's always quality shit. i own a few of their pedals.
>>
>>60553104
i don't doubt it, man, EHX has been killing it lately.

the russian big muff was actually my very first dirt box years ago so I have a bit of an emotional attachment to it. don't think i'll ever get rid of it, honestly.
>>
File: 20150216_195447.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150216_195447.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
this was my rig, I cut down a bit, but never sold some stuff. When I come home from break I'll bring back my Boss PH-2 and I'll probably have bought some more pedals.
>>
>>60553240
I think i get it. not sure what a sustain/signal words mean to a complete understanding. but it should help with the fact that when I use my shitty distortion pedal it goes from 3(without pedal) to 8(with pedal) in a loud scale right?
>>
>>60553104
I'm a guy with basic bass distortion needs, would you recommend that delux Big Muff to a guy who just getting into the distortion game?
>>
>>60553295
what are those big purple and greenish blue thingys?
>>
File: tumblr_nv7yznzPOb1uem6aho1_1280.jpg (408 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv7yznzPOb1uem6aho1_1280.jpg
408 KB, 1080x1920
This is what I've been working with. Playing a crappy casio sa-20 thru it
>>
>>60553403
sustain is holding a note or chord for an extended period of time. like if you strum your guitar with the strings open, the length of time it takes for the strings to stop vibrating is how long your guitar sustains for.

when i say your guitar signal, i'm referring to the sound of your guitar through your equipment.

also, i would just recommend turning down the volume/level knob on your distortion pedal, that should take care of the problem.
>>
>>60553544
they're cleverly disguised dogs. You can see their noses on their left.

Actually: The purple one is a Filter Modeler, which basically makes a bunch of weird dubstep and synth noises, the green one is a delay and looper.
>>
>>60552980
For budget stuff, I'd say the EHX Bass Soul Food is great sounding but does suffer from EHX build quality which I've seen alot of my musical buddies suffer from. Way Huge has two great options for overdrives: Green Rhino and Pork Loin, I prefer the former as it goes from good amount of grit to heavy distortion with a great frequency response. If you want fuzz an EHX Deluxe Big Muff is a great pedal that I used for awhile but also a Swollen Pickle can be rad (I'd suggest a noise gate though if you go with the pickle)
>>60553019
Boss ODB3 is really gross to me, never clicked
>>60553104
I actually think the Deluxe BBM is better than the russian for the blend and gate features alone, plus tonally it's amazing
>>
File: guitar rig.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
guitar rig.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
I really like chorus pedals with bass

also here's my setup non-bass
>>
>>60552980
I am seriously considering getting that beast of a reverb, the Eventide Space. I know it's mad expensive, but I feel like I'd be able to justify the cost, considering what it can do. I mean, shitty Epiphone Les Pauls cost $500, Space is a lot better of an investment overall.

Also, anyone have opinions on the WMG Geiger Counter? I've tried it before, but it seems like it would take a while to get good control of. It seems like a powerful but obtuse piece of technology. Anyone else have any experience with it?

I make post-rock/IDM shit so it kind of makes sense for me to try to get these two pedals (once I can actually get the money, anyway).
>>
>>60553611
nice man, you making straight up noise, or industrial or techno with that gear?

how's that eye of god? anything like the ehx superego?
>>
>>60553701
Ambient noise.

This track was recorded with that set-up if you wanna hear it

https://dogsinreverse.bandcamp.com/track/diabetes-burnout

I've never used the superego, but eye of god is ok. Gets a little outta hand sometimes and I basically never use the light sensor (you can disable it)
>>
>>60553685
Chorus on bass is cool in the right genre/context but only works well in a studio. I've tried many chorus pedals live and for the most part they are either way to subtle or way too abrasive on bass in a loud mix
>>
File: IMG_20141120_221852.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141120_221852.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1920
>>
>>60553611
How much abuse can the great destroyer take before clipping? I was thinking of getting one for drum sends/acid lines.
>>
I've never messed with pedals but I'd like one that can give my bass a fuzzy sound though not too distorted. Can I just use a standard distortion pedal and change some settings?
>>
>>60553857
Best option is a distortion or fuzz with either a blend knob or combining a dirt pedal with a Boss LS2. Allows you to find the distorted/fuzzy tone you like while being able to mix it in to your normal tone to taste
>>
>>60553743
>light sensor
huh, so I assume it's something more like the Rupture RP-1 then?

nice track btw fampai
did you mix/master it digitally or all in a mixer?
>>
Here's my stuff. Pretty stoked with where it is right now. The little polka dot thingy was a voltage sag circuit, but I've replaced it by a Mooer Mod Factory. Envelope Controlled Ring Mod is just such a crazy thing to have.. for 45$ I couldn't pass.

>>60553794
I prefer vibrato on bass. My bassist has a CE-1 and it just sounds so warbly and nice. I'd reccomend every bassist to at least try it out.

>>60553688
The Space is very very good, but I've found that it's not very intuitive. I might be only a simple man, but I've preferred simpler reverbs like the Wet (my fav.) or the Afterneath. Tastes vary tho and the Space is undoubtedly a great machine.

>>60553544
Line 6 FM4 and DL4
>>
>>60553970
damn shit I also forget the pics.
>>
>>60553970
Well, I'm considering Space because it seems to do a ridiculous ton when it comes to making ambient soundscapes and loud, ethereal walls of sound.
If I get it, I'd be DIing it into my audio interface, of course, instead of using an amp, so I can record the stereo soundscapes.
>>
>>60554022
Ahh that's so neat. I think that you should really go for it. As you said, 500$ gets you a crappy guitar or amp, but almost gets you one of the best reverbs ever. And it's practicaly an instrument of it's own.

And in the end if it inspires you it's always worth it.
>>
>>60553963
I've never used that either.

I played it live in my house, recorded into my laptop via 1 microphone and on my ipad with another. The samples/loop are all played on cassette decks live. Then I mixed them together in cool edit and did some slight boosting of the lows but that's mostly it
>>
>>60553970
Oh a CE-1 sounds great on bass, no doubt. I'd use something like a CE-1 or a clone but only in a studio though if a song called for that sorta sound
>>
just ordered a ditto stereo looper. pretty excited to get it
>>
>>60554185
Yeah .. huge effects are kinda hit and miss live

>>60554384
I used to have one. It's very good.. and it seems like TC uses decent switches now
>>
>>60554421
good to hear
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.