[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5 YEARS LATER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
Now that the dust has finally settled, can we finally have a rational discussion about the most groundbreaking album of the 2010s?

How do you feel about it now? Do you love it or hate it? Is it meh?
>>
>>60546524
>the most groundbreaking album of the 2010s

You start.
>>
File: 1411035353017.jpg (150 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1411035353017.jpg
150 KB, 640x480
>>60546524
>the dust
>ever settling
>>
>>60546524
How is it groundbreaking?
It's just Kanye getting his shit right again, and making a listen-able release.
I still think it's a poor album, with Kanye's staple silly lyricism.
>>
It has some decent pop tunes, but I fail to see what's so 'groundbreaking' about it.
>>
>>60546524
9/10

POWER is still one of the strongest singles ever put out by a hip hop artist.
>>
its cozy in the fall-winter season
>>
File: folder.jpg (654 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
654 KB, 1000x1000
Okay, for hip hop then...

G. Prokofiev Concerto for Turntables is the result of the successful synthesis of strange bedfellows; hip hop and classical orchestral music, "the Concerto For Turntables & Orchestra was borne to explore the tradition of cross pollination between art music and folk/dance idioms...", much more than generic string arrangements set to dance beats, the different styles are blended interestingly with it often being difficult to determine sample/turntable from orchestra until a section of instruments are abruptly scratched, distorted, looped, or otherwise interfered with, the sounds are characterized by unique rhythmic qualities and dense, carefully arranged compositions.

Sorry, what did Kanye do again?
>>
>>60546658
shit mixing
>>
>>60546658
omfg who fucking cares

nobody has heard of that guy so literally nothing he has done matters

meanwhile kanye gets to inspire the musicians of the future on a global stage and is often cited as one of the most influential musicians since madonna or michael jackson

more people are going to be inspired by kanye because he's famous

also
>implying people haven't been merging "hip-hop" / turntablism and classical music for years

google "williams mix" and "imaginary landscape no. 1"

it's like you've never heard of christian marclay
>>
>>60546730
Prove it

>>60546813
>nobody has heard of that guy so literally nothing he has done matters
lol, poptomism

>meanwhile kanye gets to inspire the musicians of the future on a global stage and is often cited as one of the most influential musicians since madonna or michael jackson
who fucking cares, so does Bieber and Miley

>more people are going to be inspired by kanye because he's famous
thats not a good thing

>google "williams mix" and "imaginary landscape no. 1"
>it's like you've never heard of christian marclay
neither Cage or MArclay made hip hop music, theres a huge difference

Just face it, your babbies first pop-rap nigga is basic bitch
>>
File: start with borges.jpg (68 KB, 566x473) Image search: [Google]
start with borges.jpg
68 KB, 566x473
>>60546813
>who fucking cares
Then what are you doing in a music forum known to have an eclectic taste moron?
>>
>>60546633
>what is so groundbreaking about MBDTF

>introduced Nicki Minaj as a credible artist thru her verse on Monster
>extended elton john piano interlude
>kanye using his voice as an electric guitar on "Runaway"
>pioneered that rapping through a microphone that sounds like a phone thing that rappers do now especially kendrick
>hip-hop album on a major label in which 4 songs are over six minutes long (runaway itself is NINE MINUTES)
> "all of the lights" uses like 27 different celebrities to do guest features, in this piece kanye uses THE SOCIAL CAPITAL OF THESE CELEBRITIES AS AN ARTISTIC MEDIUM to have the listener literally surrounded by celebrity voices perfect for a song about being overwhelmed by fame-- fergie rapping an autobiographical verse about how fame saved her from her meth addiction that leads perfectly into the Rihanna and Elton John part
>drum programming on "All of the Lights" is completely unconventional for hip-hop
>"Monster" brought Bon Iver and the biggest rappers of the time together, merging hip-hop and indie at a time when the idea was completely novel (this is the year Jay-Z and Beyonce very publicly went to a Grizzly Bear concert)
>Sampling prog-rock on "Power"
>I SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE TO EXPLAIN "BLAME GAME"
>"Lost in the Woods" building an epic tribal hip-hop beat over a Bon Iver's voice that completes the narrative arc of the album (here the drums are also totally different for hip-hop, it's almost a house song)
>last song on the album is an extended Gil-Scott Heron outro
>an artist who is described as a complete narcissist starts and ends his album with two voices that aren't his own
>amazing choral arrangements throughout
>came at the perfect moment narratively in his career

and it's not even his best album
his best album is Graduation
which was also innovative
he has innovated on every single release since his debut
>>
>>60547126
>>60547126
im arguing that my beautiful dark twisted fantasy is more important and groundbreaking than that album im half-convinced you just made up
>>
>>60546658
He created a sprawling epic that didn't need to make a crossover of two different genres that nobody really asked for

The fact that you felt the need to post this on an unrelated thread shows that maybe your revolutionary crossover isn't that good.
>>
File: 1407234202193.jpg (232 KB, 509x480) Image search: [Google]
1407234202193.jpg
232 KB, 509x480
>>60547185
Ignorance doesn't make things great, it just makes you look stupid kiddo.
>>
>>60547169

>his best album is Graduation

L M A O
>>
>>60547169
How's kim kanye?
>>
>>60547212
>>60547212
yeah ok im stupid because i've never heard of "g. prokoviev"

you still can't refute my basic point
>>
Before MBDFT, hip hop was really just played at parties and wasn't really considered actual music. After MBDTF, Kanye proved that rap could have actual artistic merit and paved the way for albums like Because the Internet or To Pimp A Butterfly.
>>
>>60547212
the difference between Concerto for Turntables and MBDTF is one is a intelligence wank for obscuro art-nerds and the other is an album that actually has a chance to soundtrack people's lives
>>
>>60547169
>>introduced Nicki Minaj as a credible artist thru her verse on Monster
lol

>>extended elton john piano interlude
how is that groundbreaking exactly?

>>kanye using his voice as an electric guitar on "Runaway"
nothing new

>>pioneered that rapping through a microphone that sounds like a phone thing that rappers do now especially kendrick
nothing new

>>hip-hop album on a major label in which 4 songs are over six minutes long (runaway itself is NINE MINUTES)
nothing new

>> "all of the lights" uses like 27 different celebrities to do guest features, in this piece kanye uses THE SOCIAL CAPITAL OF THESE CELEBRITIES AS AN ARTISTIC MEDIUM to..........
So he needs others to help him, nothing to be proud of

>>drum programming on "All of the Lights" is completely unconventional for hip-hop
listen to more hip hop, holy shit

>>"Monster" brought Bon Iver and the biggest rappers of the time together.........
James Lavelle was doing that in the early 90s

>>Sampling prog-rock on "Power"
hip hop sampling other music, wow!

>>I SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE TO EXPLAIN "BLAME GAME"
no you really must

>>"Lost in the Woods" building an epic tribal hip-hop beat over a Bon Iver's voice that completes the narrative arc of the album (here the drums are also totally different for hip-hop, it's almost a house song)
all hip hop is EDM, it was born out of dance music in the block parties of the Bronx by a Jamaican DJ

>>last song on the album is an extended Gil-Scott Heron outro
and?

>>an artist who is described as a complete narcissist starts and ends his album with two voices that aren't his own
again, needs help

>>amazing choral arrangements throughout
nothing new

>>came at the perfect moment narratively in his career
Irrelevant

Do you have anything to say?
>>
>>60547313
The difference is one the former IS groundbreaking hip hop, the latter is just another pop album.
>>
>>60547259
No, you're an idiot because you dismiss things out of ignorance.
If you immediately dismiss something that was recommended to you because you don't know it, you're a moron.

>>60547313
Not all music is supposed to reach the masses.
Being poppy doesn't make it bad, but being popular doesn't make MBDTF "groundbreaking".

>>60547169
Jesus man, get off Kanye's cock.
>>
>>60547334
You got your ass handed to you. Just keep quiet for now.
>>
>>60547334
wowww so he needs help. great art isnt created in a vacuum, the narrative of the singular artistic genius is played out dude

>all hip-hop is EDM
only in the most literal aspie sense of the word

>James Lavelle

get the fuck out of here

there wasn't a more innovative album in hip-hop in the decade
>>
>>60547169
>his best album is Graduation

that retroactively invalidates everything you said

it's a shame too because you were doing so well until that point
>>
>>60547451
Wrong way round, accept your talking shite.

>>60547454
>hes a groundbreaking genius
>e-e-everyone needs help
lol

>only in the most literal aspie sense of the word
And in the traditional, factual and historical too

>get the fuck out of here
Lavelle, Mo' Wax, Ninja Tune, all the turntablist crews and trip hop artists were doing this shit FIFTEEN years earlier
>>
>>60546524
>the most groundbreaking album of the 2010s
LOL kanye fans are fucking delusional
>>
kanye sucks
>>
File: folder.jpg (451 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
451 KB, 1000x1000
Gee should we mix hip hop and Indie singers James?

Nah, Kanye won't have that idea for another 12 years.

Sorry Thom Yorke, Noel Gallagher and Richard Ashcroft, no recording today.
>>
>>60547598
This got a 9.9 in Pitchfork
>>
In the scope of music, how is he revolutionary or exceptional.
>>
>>60547739
OPs already been demolished, threads over.
>>
>>60547613
>pitchfork is ran by people who think their anuses are a time portals

so what
>>
File: 58204968544.png (78 KB, 430x453) Image search: [Google]
58204968544.png
78 KB, 430x453
>>60547762
Nope.

You guys realize it's okay to jerk off to backpacker rap and still appreciate MBDTF right?
>>
>>60547598
that album is primarily trip hop, not hip hop, and some of it isn't even trip hop

also, none of the tracks have BOTH a rapper and an indie singer - it's one or the other
>>
I don't know anything about Kanye and this is the only album of his I've heard, but his rapping on this album was out loud laughingly mediocre. After every verse I heard I was like 'this is the take they decided to go with...?"
>>
>>60547598
None of those singers are "indie".
>>
File: -Is This Bait?.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
-Is This Bait?.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>60547169
All of these except for the one about the drums on All Of The Lights aren't innovations.

Yes, many of these things might be groundbreaking for Kanye, but walking for the first time is groundbreaking for a baby, but we don't say that's significant in the whole scheme of things, either. If you really expect shit like "piano interlude" and "sampling rock" to be considered innovative, I'm thinking this is just bait.
>>
>>60547169
Ground breaking for a truly mainstream release. However, rappers have done pretty much everything you listed (aside from all the different celebrity cameos, though rappers have told stories through multiple guest artists before) decades earlier. Seriously, listen to more hip hop you sound like such a pleb.

>drum programming on "All of the Lights" is completely unconventional for hip-hop

This might be the most casual sentence I've ever heard.
>>
listening now

tempted to say it's 10/10

if not definitely 9.5

not the greatest rap album ever made but definitely the greatest pop-rap album ever made
>>
The grandiose My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Roc-A-Fella, 2010), that basically reversed the path of the previous two albums, was hailed as an epochal masterpiece by the press but mostly because of what it represented (a diligent adoption of all "cool" stereotypes of the time), and not necessarily because of what it sounded like. This overcrowded album certainly brought together West's arrangement ambitions in a pompous and multifaceted manner, feeling more like a Wagner symphony than a hip-hop album. By applying the lessons of all his masters (Jon Brion, Kid Cudi), West came up with a better focused and integrated music/text melody/rap message in the anthemic and dreamy chant of Dark Fantasy and in the driving and hypnotic lament of Gorgeous. This method achieved a new peak of pathos in Power, a terrifying variation on King Crimson's futuristic anthem 21st Century Schizoid Man. The level of sophistication increases with the electronic effects of Hell Of A Life, in which West's vocal line mirrors a vintage Black Sabbath bass line. The way Lost In The World transitions from a delicate litany to a jovial dance (employing Bon Iver's very non-jovial melody Woods) is spectacular.
>>
>>60550896

At the same time West displays his knack as a director of voices, arranging them in sequences and layers to obtain maximum dramatic effect. Hence All Of The Lights (boasting eleven guest vocalists), a quasi-house number over thundering convoluted percussion, with trumpet fanfares and a melody reminiscent of DHT's Listen To Your Heart. Hence Monster, a parade of vocal actors (Bon Iver, Jazy-Z, Rick Ross) culminating with a terrific machine-gun performance by Nicki Minaj suspended in time. The succession of vocal registers (Prince Cy Hi, Jay-Z, Pusha T, RZA, Swizz Beatz) sculpts the elegiac lulling sinister soothing So Appalled. A polyphony of voices (notably Rick Ross) propels Devil In A New Dress over a languid Pink Floyd-ian symphonic adagio.
>>
>>60550921

The music is not only emotionally draining but physicially extenuating as the pieces get longer and longer. The nine-minute Runaway begins with just a ticking piano, transitions to excruciating raps, ends with an instrumental coda of deconstructed chamber music. The eight-minute Blame Game disguises another incursion in chamber music as a soulful Sting-like ballad.
The album ends with
Gil Scott-Heron preaching Who Will Survive In America over a massive beat.
This compendium of rap and soul music of the era is a sinister hallucination of self-destructive impulses.
>>
File: kanye cake.png (354 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
kanye cake.png
354 KB, 500x499
>And the same people that tried to blackball me forgot about two things, my black balls

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>60547169
This is next level dick-riding
>>
>>60547503
>And in the traditional, factual and historical too
not in the common usage, which is the only one that matters you prescriptive piece of shit
>>
>>60547169
was with you all the way until "his best album is Graduation"
>>
>>60551096
suck on his balls dumbass
>>
I hate to admit this but I've listened to it so much that now I just skip the Chris Rock skit. It's like...I just can't hear that for nearly seven minutes every time I listen to the album. It's not funny anymore.
>>
>>60547169
BEST ALBUM YEEZUS SENPAI
>>
File: ridic.gif (624 KB, 813x4087) Image search: [Google]
ridic.gif
624 KB, 813x4087
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.