[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I made a chord progression. Tell me if it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: Basic Chords.jpg (107 KB, 792x1122) Image search: [Google]
Basic Chords.jpg
107 KB, 792x1122
Hey guys, I made a chord progression.

Tell me if it's shit.

Em7 Em6 F#m7/E B7
E7sus4/D A/C# E/B E
>>
The chord progression is just as important as the rhythm you're playing so it's hard to tell. But it looks solid, reminds me of The Beatles
>>
>>60532833
Thanks bro. There's an E in the bass of all of them (lolguitar) and I've been dicking around with arpeggiating them with 4 16th notes and then a dotted half rest until the next chord. Also Bossa Novaing it up is fun.
>>
SHOVE THOSE DESCENDING FIFTHS UP MY ASS

CIRCLE PROGRESSION MY POOPER
>>
>>60532875
I was just playing it, what do you think of A7sus4 instead of the E7sus4?
>>
>>60532814
>more than one chord
fuck off you tryhard geek
>>
>Em6
>moves to F#m7
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
try this senpai

Em7 Em6 C B7
A7sus4 A/C# C (slide to) D
>>
Doop recorded it.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0IMOd5vZYRZ

>>60532896
lol didn't even realize it was descending 5ths.

>>60532984
I like that shit. Gives it a different feel though.
>>
>>60532984
Substitute B7 with E7, make that A7sus4 an Amaj7
>>
>>60533027
Maybe use the C to D part just as an interlude into a chorus?
The chorus could start on G major if u wanted
>>
>>60533043
damn, that Amaj7 is nice
>>
>>60533027
pedal/10
>>
>>60533071
Yeah, and it makes a bit more sense with the E7
>>
>>60533075
Why would I? B is the dominant chord of E. There is no resolution tho, so it would be better to replace E7 with Emaj7
>>
>>60533054
Yeah, the slide would work well there. Usually I just try to go by ear and figure out the theory later. I'm not trying to write the next greatest Prelude or some shit so I just dick around with what I think sounds good.
>>
>>60533137
You got the at least keep in mind your key though. And the D makes things a bit more difficult (pun intended)
>>
>>60532953
why can't he go to the F#m7? I think it sounds nice
>>
>>60533167
But I like my bullshit atonal bedroom compositions :'(
>>
>>60533205
>atonal
It's not atonal at all
>>60533191
Oh, it sounds good, I agree. But from a theoretical point of view it's a bit... clumsy. F# would be a major chord in E minor, plus abrupt modulation (it's called Rueckung in German, don't know the proper English word) usually sound akward.
>>
>>60533298
F# isn't a major chord in E minor wtf
>>
>>60533298
Eh, not a major chord, a diminished chord. Brain fart
>>
>>60533322
Yeah, sorry, a diminished chord
>>
>>60533298
Oh, I know it's not actually atonal. I was just referring to its lack of actual key with some hyperbole. Do you think my recording of it a few posts up sounds clumsy? I feel like the way I voiced it lets it flow, but of course I'm biased.
>>
>>60533347
>>60533298
Plus breaking the rules is fun
>>
>>60533347
No, I said the theory is a bit clumsy. The pedal point (is this how you translate Orgelpunkt?) ties the chords together nicely
>>
>>60533378
Ah. Cool, thanks. And yeah, pedal point is right.
>>
>>60533372
>>
>>60533378
Also, phrase modulation or an unprepared modulation is probs your best bet for Rueckung
>>
>>60533413
Dude, it pisses me off so much in my theory classes when the professor talks about how sacred the rules are and shit. She'll play some weird chord that doesn't make theoretical sense and say 'doesn't that sound just awful?' And all the shitty music kids are like 'yeah that sucks dick', and I'm sitting there thinking it's pretty as fuck.

I hate music kids.
>>
>>60533448
Your teacher sounds like a retard lol
>>
Stop getting wrapped up in theory, anons. Literally all that matters is of the progression sounds nice
>>
>>60533414
Yeah, but phrase modulation or unprepared modulation aren't exactly the same as a Rückung. With a Rückung you actually move a (chord) shape. Unprepared modulation could also just be a chord that does not fit into the current progression
>>60533448
>some weird chord that doesn't make any theoretical sense
Like what? Every chord makes sense outside of a chord progression?
>>
>>60533510
B...but theory is fun ;_;
>>
>>60533526
Nah, its a headache
>>
>>60533483
She's pretty chill, but she's been playing tonalasfuck music since she was 6, so she can't get away from it. I know a bunch of people like that. One chick says she literally can't improvise because of it.

I don't think these kinds of people are artists.

>>60533513
Huh.

Like some major 7th add minor 7th with a minor 2nd in the bass or some shit. Something strange that you wouldn't hear in tonal music

>>60533526
Too much theory makes it math and not music tho
>>
File: GiantstepsChanges1.jpg (84 KB, 857x421) Image search: [Google]
GiantstepsChanges1.jpg
84 KB, 857x421
>>60533560
>not appreciating the theoretical beauty of classical music and jazz

Once you embrace theory, listening/making music becomes a lot more fun

>>60533563
The difference is, music theory has an actual practical use and doesn't describe some abstract, imaginary system.

Math sucks balls
>>
All of my music teachers and my band director (who writes mediocre band music) said that you learn music theory so you can ignore it once you actually start writing.
>>
>>60533637
Fair. There's just those fucks who get too into it and I hate them because they take the art out of playing music.

>>60533664
That's how I feel it should be. You learn it so you can forget it.
>>
>>60533027
thanks for letting the rest of us hear the progression.

As a guitarist you would benefit heavily from learning to play the drums
>>
>>60534296
Oh yeah the rhythm section of my brain is fucking awful. Funnily enough I started on the drums before moving to the guitar. I always try to keep time when playing and listening to music, but the progress is really slow going. Any tips on how to suck less?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.