[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Early Waits >>>> quirky circus clown Waits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Blue Valentine.jpg (114 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Blue Valentine.jpg
114 KB, 600x600
Early Waits >>>> quirky circus clown Waits
>>
true
>>
Honestly, there isn't that much of a difference on most tracks.
>>
wrong
10/10 album tho
>>
speaking of tom waits i'm pretty sure disney ripped him off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGhJtEsmj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04
>>
>>60520287
Utterly incorrect. Everything in Waits' discography prior to Swordfishtrombones can be safely ignored.
>>
>>60520353
Yeah, it's not like wait's voice is a shit ripoff of literally every blues artist before him or anything
>>
>>60520353
Not a surprise since sometimes I feel like I'm listening to The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack when I listen to Waits
>>
early cardiacs > shitty quirky chipmunk circus clown prog

Oh wait, it's all that.
>>
>>60520401
thanks for that comment family
>>
>>60520310
>>60520377
What the fuck
>>
>>60520401
>The only blues artist I know is Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he's an R&B artist
This is an 18+ board.
>>
>>60520471
Waits voice is infinitely more reminiscent of Howlin' Wolf though.
>>
>>60520287
Waits has a couple great albums from this period, but you're fucking wrong, bruh.

>>60520401
Here is your reply
>>
Since this is unpopular Tom Waits opinions general, I'll post mine.

Waits has barely progressed as an artist since the mid 80s.
>>
>>60520517
>Waits has a couple great albums from this period

Here's your reply too, clown
>>
>>60520558
The problem is that's literally, objectively wrong though
>>
>>60520662
Prove it.
>>
Waits makes worthless gimmick music. You might as well listen to Amanda Palmer or something.
>>
rain dogs is his best album
thats a popular opinion that i agree with
>>
>>60520794
>You might as well listen to Amanda Palmer or something.
>outdated_truth_tea_meme.png
>>
>>60520471
Here's YOUR reply
Blind Willie Johnson, Charley Patton, Karen Dalton, Bessie Smith, Tommy Johnson, Captain Beefheart and Skip James, just off the top of my head
Seems like you should heed your own advice buddy
>>
>>60520794
What does this even mean?
>>
>>60520859
That he's as bland and obnoxious as the dresden dolls?
>>
>>60520858
To be fair, you can say Beefheart's shtick isn't that far off from Waits's.
>>
>>60520794
this is more true than you thought it was

youre probably baiting but its true
>>
>>60520878
You've never actually listened to the Dresden Dolls, have you? While Amanda Palmer may be a pretentious, whiny fat piece of shit, Brian Viglione is a great goddamn percussionist.
>>
>>60520858
The only small problem with your list there is that none of those sound sounds much, if at all, like Waits. Even Beefheart's delivery, whom Waits was trying to rip off, and the only artist on that list whose voice bears an even passing resemblance, is very different.
>>
>>60520944
All of them (well, the male ones who aren't Skip James) sound considerably more like Waits than Hawkins does.
>>
>>60520927
>Amanda Palmer
>fat

what

i always thought she was skinny as can be
>>
>>60520971
Last time I saw a photo of her, she was fat.

Also, didn't one of her solo covers get rejected because her record label thought she was too fat and she raged about it?
>>
>>60520971
i think he was just trying to be rude or he doesnt know what amanda palmer looks like
>>
>>60521006
She's pregnant right now, bruh.
>>
File: 133362990.jpg (176 KB, 402x594) Image search: [Google]
133362990.jpg
176 KB, 402x594
>>60521025
looks fat to me
>>
>>60520596
Nighthawks at the Diner and Small Change are the only all around great albums he put out before 1983. Deal.

>>60520714
Not them, but there's nothing to prove. To make that statement you have to be ignorant, unknowingly, or otherwise.
>>
>>60521539
>To make that statement you have to be ignorant, unknowingly, or otherwise.
I've listened to and like the entirety of Waits discography, I'm just saying that in a general sense his music has been made to give off the same emotional residue, type of intellectual stimuli and atmosphere for some time now. He's added country/folk and a few traces of hip-hop into his music but it hasn't affected the dna of it.

Let me put it this way, I put my Waits songs on shuffle (the entirety of his discography is on my iPod) and I genuinely had a hard time deciphering which albums songs belonged to. Usually it was only production and specifically unique tracks (such as What's He Doing In There) that I could pick out.
>>
>>60520353
wow thats insane.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.