[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I find a lot of /mu/-core doesn't really click with me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: zUAcXba.jpg (3 MB, 2060x3825) Image search: [Google]
zUAcXba.jpg
3 MB, 2060x3825
I find a lot of /mu/-core doesn't really click with me. I find a lot of it to be really dull, repetitive and just all around boring. Am I listening to it wrong?
>>
then dont bother with the stuff that doesnt interest you and explore further into the things you do like
>>
>>60517465
>I find a lot of it to be really dull, repetitive and just all around boring

That's because it is, it's basically a list of some of the most bland, generic possible music.
>>
/mu/core isn't a collection of objectively good music it's just all the essentials to hear

listen to all of them and like what you like
>>
Most of /mu/core isn't necessarily good, just what was shitposted alot on /mu/

>>60517496
Do what this guy says.
Take the albums/genres that you do enjoy and explore those, use the essential charts. Those, unlike /mu/core have the best of the genre.
>>
>Common denominator pop music is dull

Woah
>>
>>60517496
>>60517513
>>60517514

Ehh, it's probably because I'm going from ultra chaotic mathcore and prog to this. It's really quite a leap
>>
>>60517542
What bands did you like previously?
Maybe we can give you some good recs for your current tastes!

:)
>>
>>60517571
Stop attaching smileys to the end of your posts, that counts as using a signature and it's against the rules.
>>
>>60517571
I already have quite the backlog, but more recs is always appreciated.
>>
>>60517597
Well, here's the thing. The /mu/ chart is full of good music. Your chart is full of bad music. That explains why you don't like the /mu/ chart.
>>
>>60517667
k thnx FAMM
>>
>>60517667
He has a good taste is prog, but a mediocre taste in everything else.
>>
>>60517597
I'll try rec as best I can off the albums I know from your chart, I hope I did good.

The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There
Mono - You Are There
The Ascent of Everest - How Lonely sits the City!
Adult Jazz - Gist is
Alvvays - s/t
Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love
Cul De Sac - China Gate
Public Service Broadcasting - Inform - Educate - Entertain
mewithoutyou - Brother, Sister
Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Prawn - Ships
Ought - More Than Any Other Day
Girl Band - Holding Hands with Jamie
>>
>>60517667
Nah, both charts are full of bad music.
>>
>>60517708
>implying BTBAM and Protest The Hero are good prog

Literally metalcore with "le epic changeups" so musically illiterate scene kids can feel superior to slightly more musically illiterate scene kids
>>
>>60517667
Is prog just not your thing? Because his chart has some really great prog on it
>>
>>60517595
Not doing it as a signature, just trying to show I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

>>60517597
You might like Von Zamla, Ghost (the Japanese one), Spiral Architect, and Hex Horizontal
>>
>>60517667
>>60517798
>>60517801
ok fine, I'll bite. What's actually wrong with my chart.

I known I have a bit of sceney weeney stuff. But I'm really getting into prog. and I have a lot of stuff on here that's generally excepted as good, even on here
>>
>>60517597
>>60517901
you have a long way to go my friend
start listening to other genres too; read about them; watch a few documentaries you will be able to appreciate specific genres more and you'll be patrician in no time

though modern prog is a no no mostly
>inb4 some faggot posts that stupid chart
listen to prog classics don't skip any prog scene whether its rock progressivo italiano; canterbury scene or progressive electronic
>>
>>60518154
I have multiple prog charts I'm working my way through right now. Progressive metal is definitely my favorite, although I know a lot of it isn't looked at very highly around here.

There's lots of great modern prog. Although we've seen lots of prog bands go to shit in the past few years
>>
>>60517667
>>60517801
>>60517798
I'd argue that the lot of you are more pleb for not liking his chart.

Colors, First Temple, Doppleganger, Fortress, and Volition are all 10/10 albums

It could just not be your thing, but his chart is in no way bad
>>
>>60518225
>Avoid modern prog.

But that's retarded, you're pretty much recommending him to ignore a solid 15 or so years of a certain genre. obviously prog. has evolved into something that isn't your thing. That's fine and all, but it's clearly his thing, and to be perfectly honest he's at an excellent starting point. BTBAM and Protest the Hero are probably the best prog. metal bands on the scene right now, at least as far as the mainstream is concerned.

Colors and Fortress are two of the best prog. metal albums of all time IMHO
>>
>>60518631
whoops, ment for>>60518154
>>
>>60518631
no it's not retarded
modern prog is nowhere as inventive as 70s prog
in fact 70s prog is the most productive you wont run out of albums easily; and so it seems OP has already explored some modern prog there is no point to go further
modern prog bands rip off 70s musicians all the time too so why not just listen to the real deal
>inb4 le wrong generation
I'm pretty sure you don't listen to REAL prog anyway
>>
>>60519011
What you said applies more to 90's an early 00's prog desu.

Lot's of recent prog is really inventive.

For example. Colors has an unreal level of genre blending and experimentation with different tones and mood. One moment you'll be jamming to great riffs, the next you'll feel like you're in an african jungle chilling with a tribe. Next you fel like you're in egypt looking at the pyramids, then you jam again, then you feel like you're on a tropical island, then you feel like you're floating in space. And thats just the first 25 minutes.

For some reason I don't think you've given it a listen, and I really really really suggest you do so.
>>
OP calm the autism.

Do you, listen to what you like. Don't be afraid to explore. Not everyone's going to like what you like but that's ok
>>
>>60519092
Not much has changed since the 90s anyway

I've listened to a fair amount of modern prog rock/metal including Colors and I'm not seeing the greatness of it

Sure it has some "wacky" moments which bring the progressiveness to the music (because they obviously want to be prog soooo bad) but it's mostly just your regular metalcore and it's painfully overcompressed and overproduced (typical for modern prog)
>>
>>60517775
can i ask what albums on his chart caused you to rec adult jazz? i really like that album and im always looking for similar stuff.
>>
>>60519460
Let's just agree to disagree then I suppose. I don't think either of us are going to change their mind on anything.
>>
>>60519611
true desu
>>
>>60517465
check discogscore
its more patrician
http://www.discogs.com/lists/Highest-Rated-Albums-on-Discogs/8062
>>
Very few expressions of musical appreciation are truly subjective or based entirely (even extensively) upon the actual sounds produced by a recording.

They're more frequently based upon the "product" which is a combination of those sounds, of the production, of the image of the performer and of the influence of "labels" attached to it.

And so if you actually have a blind test of a genre with which you are entirely unfamiliar you can fail to be influenced by anything other than the noise you hear in your ears - Which, without it's supporting background can be entirely unimpressive, even if the actual musicianship displayed is of high quality.

Look back to the early days of consumer music, say post radio but pre "pop" when a band leader, musician or even the conductor of an orchestra had nothing to "sell" other than his/her tunes.

Actually a good basis for a dissertation if you take your music into academia...
>>
>>60517597
>no Dillinger Escape Plan
>>
>>60517667
/thread
>>
>>60520081
Listen to a few of their tracks and it's pretty great

They're on my to-do list
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.