[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/jazz/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 23
File: Cover.jpg (28 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
28 KB, 700x700
ITT: recommend albums, discussion, etc.

What have you discovered recently?
>>
File: sun ra.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
sun ra.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1280
looking for more mellow stuff like this beauty, open for suggestions plz
>>
File: MI0001798034.jpg (37 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
MI0001798034.jpg
37 KB, 400x399
i mean that's a good album OP, but any fan of jazz has probably heard it before
>>
>>60516739
I just needed a picture
>>
File: dahi_divine.jpg (48 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
dahi_divine.jpg
48 KB, 700x700
been digging this today, nice contemporary jazz
>>
>listen to a contemporary record
>wow it's quite good
>vocals starts
why

just why
>>
>>60516802
here's a recent record I totally dismissed initially because of the vocals, but just today dug a little deeper and found some nice spiritual jazz tracks hidden there, not as good as their first album that I thought was excellent, though

check them out if you like the mellower end of Alice Coltrane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYdL5jbT17k
>>
File: mammal.jpg (207 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
mammal.jpg
207 KB, 800x800
>>60516910
Also this, from the same record label
>like a jazzier GoGo Penguin with sax
>>
File: parker cpt savoy.jpg (312 KB, 1600x1599) Image search: [Google]
parker cpt savoy.jpg
312 KB, 1600x1599
bird as usual
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>60516699
Not very familiar with jazz but I listened to this recently, thoughts?
>>
>>60517106
yeah, I love Gondwana Records - actually the new Gondwana Orchestra album is probably their weakest release

stoked for the next GoGo Penguin album Man Made Object coming out on Blue Note in February
>>
File: folder.jpg (104 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
104 KB, 800x800
>>60516738
One guy in a previous thread recommend me this. Can't say much since I haven't listened yet.
>>
File: karma.jpg (16 KB, 400x352) Image search: [Google]
karma.jpg
16 KB, 400x352
Good spiritual jazz??
>>
>>60517371
Well I certainly wouldn't call Ask the Ages mellow, though it does have contemplative sections, it's basically the most explosive performance from Pharoah since his good ol' impulse days
>>
>>60517303
I love the opening track Iggy - I still listen to it on occasion

Purists will hate, but I think it's a nice album
>>
>>60517399
all the Impulse! Sanders releases and Alice Coltrane to start with
>>
>>60517371

One of my favorite Jazz albums, but not really very mellow--maybe a few sections. Sharrock isn't really very keen on keeping it subdued on this record, and neither is Sanders.

Listen to it, though.
>>
>>60517106
Loved this track! I guess I need to check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=philyDq8aaw
>>
Well, at least this track is pure bliss and mellow. Will you hate me if I call this the pink floyd song of jazz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMMkrZ7lh9Y
>>
>>60517515

if you like them, check out everything Gondwana records has ever released, it's an amazingly consistent label

also Portico Quartet (at least the two first albums), I think Mammal Hands owe a lot to them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU-QOtUqp5g
>>
Hey guys, I was hoping you could explain this to me (I'm not one of your kind so maybe the answer is obvious).

Why the fuck is it that every time I check my slsk uploads, someone is uploading All the Things You Are by Dizzy Gillespie but nothing else. Was it in some new movie or commercial or whatever the kids are watching these days?
>>
File: polish_jazz_vol_6.jpg (17 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
polish_jazz_vol_6.jpg
17 KB, 288x288
check this out
>>
>>60518391
checked out this track that's on Spotify (since that album isn't) and it's pretty damn groovy so downloadin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL57JVJ_Dso
>>
>>60517714
I mean, Sonny was doing his thing in 66 when pink floyd were still drinking apple juice out of sippy cups and shitting their pants, but sure whatever
>>
File: folder.jpg (338 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
338 KB, 1417x1417
Anyone got anything Gamelan influenced like this?
>>
>>60518460
There's nothing else in the world like that. But I'd recommend People in Sorrow if you want a similarly mindblowing experience
>>
>>60518482
Alright, I'll check it out, Art Ensemble are a great group to begin with so I have high hopes.
>>
File: front.jpg (719 KB, 1015x1024) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
719 KB, 1015x1024
Third Stream, you known what I'm saying?
>>
File: 51moMzK24FL.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51moMzK24FL.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>60517399
>>
>>60518648
I have this but I haven't listened to it yet. Thanks for the reminder
>>
File: Edward Vesala - Nan Madol front.jpg (128 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Edward Vesala - Nan Madol front.jpg
128 KB, 800x800
>>60518460
it doesn't have the whole gamelan -thing going on, but Edward Vesala's 70's ECM stuff (Nan Madol & Satu albums) is similarly Eastern and free influenced IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjrzDDsJB5I
>>
I'm glad this jazz general is alive. I had a question I've been meaning to ask. I love when Dolphy lets loose w/ Coltrane, Coleman, Max Roach, ect. but I find his stuff as leader is never really like that. Even the Five Spot stuff weren't what I'm looking for. Is there anything in his career that sounds like the way he plays on the village vanguard sessions?
>>
>>60518695
This sounds really cool anon, thanks, I'll listen to it all.
>>
File: Backlash.jpg (30 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Backlash.jpg
30 KB, 360x360
>>60516699
Been really enjoying this one recently. Anything similar I should check out that isn't from Hubbard's catalogue?
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 225x300
Threadly reminder to get involved with the blindfold test this Monday. This week's theme is pretty good- Monk tunes.

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/Mkjgtf7h/file.html
https://mega.nz/#!NtpEAYAZ!estSyvG6HKSc80ZmKjVl1TmkQEWhbY7mrrTbP2kLT2k

All levels if jazz listeners are welcome. Just listen to the tracks and talk about what you like or don't like.
>>
>>60518790
try this one on for size
>>
>>60516699
Recently discovered Frank Strozier, examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob8JJIPMyN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vme0-lSKqfY
>>
>>60518976
Sweet, I'll check it out. Thanks anon!
>>
Is this one of the greatest sax solos of ALL TIME?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SQ0pv8qAb0
Just listen to it. The first time it's good. The second time gets better... but then, over and over again until it hits you.
John Gilmore opened his soul to you. I had never had this feeling.
It's amazing how deep this solo is. The sadness here is real. This is THE blues. Please, listen to it and tell me what you think.
>>
>>60518936
Doesn't it take some of the fun away if you know it's Monk?
>>
>>60519196
just started listening, but I'll just mention tangentially related that it's just amazing how well Marshall Allen is still playing with the current Arkestra at over 90 years of age - saw them live last year and Allen was still great
>>
Listened to this for the first time. What a fucking album. Anyone know what kind of guitar John Mclaughlin uses on the record, specifically on Miles Runs the Voodoo Down? I love the jangly tone.

https://youtu.be/1a1Ph-ioxoA
>>
>>60519259
it's Monk's compositions played by someone else, so not quite that easy :)
>>
>>60519277
Jelly as fuck. I hope I can see them someday here in Europe. Marshall Allen is a living legend.
>>
>>60519289
first jazz album to really blow me away

still love that dangerous, urban sound it has

took me years to figure out that it's much easier to deconstruct by paying attention to the different stereo channels individually, it's pretty much two bands playing at the same time with just a couple of instruments like Miles and his trumpet in the center

not that it's necessary to figure out what's going on to enjoy Bitches Brew, I've always enjoyed just letting the music completely surround me as one big massive wave
>>
>>60519366
It's insane. Learning the context around the album made me enjoy it more, though. The musicianship was tight as hell, and it's crazy to think they were just random guys chucked into a studio on short notice. I was really impressed by the fact that there were two drummers playing at once, for some reason. I didn't really like Kind of Blue or In A Silent Way, but Bitches Brew is perfect.
>>
Any recommendations for someone into really cerebral, mellow jazz?
>>
File: A1WcY4iRInL.jpg (1 MB, 1685x2560) Image search: [Google]
A1WcY4iRInL.jpg
1 MB, 1685x2560
anyone have any good recs for books written by jazz musicians? i've been reading the Miles autobiography and it's pretty (motherfucking) entertaining.
>>
>>60519495
Listen to Sun Ra. There's something for anyone in Sun Ra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntrELq19X0
>>
>>60519548
The Wayne Shorter bio Footprints is p GOAT. It's not necessarily autobiographical but the biographer herself is a very good writer
>>
>>60519548
Mingus' Beneath the Underdog is generally highly recommended - I have to confess that I stopped reading pretty early when Mingus was still describing some asian chick or his mr. miyagi father or someone teaching him karate when he was an awkward teenager or some shit, but it probably gets better later

Anywat, a lot of reputable sources like it so I probably should have kept reading and so should you.
>>
>>60519593
>>60519730
thanks! these both look pretty good. I'm not super familiar with Wayne Shorter's work yet so I may wait that one out, but I think I'll check that Mingus one out soon.
>>
File: 9780226476964.jpg (73 KB, 427x624) Image search: [Google]
9780226476964.jpg
73 KB, 427x624
>>60519548
A Power Stronger Than Itself is one of my favorites. I don't know how big into the AACM you are though.I think it does a really good job of setting up the history of jazz in Chicago up to the formation of the AACM and gives a great social and cultural backdrop to the music that was being made but I'm also super into the subject so that might be coloring my opinion just a tiny bit.
>>
File: cecil taylor unit structures.png (286 KB, 397x396) Image search: [Google]
cecil taylor unit structures.png
286 KB, 397x396
>>60516699
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of free jazz, especially pic related? It's interesting, I guess? But in general it just goes over my head.

Like, say, TMR. I got that. I could appreciate that easily, in no small part to Van Vliet's singing, and the fact that I knew it was a dadaist work. But free jazz is utterly confusing to me. I somewhat know about the workflow (eg. people are doing whatever the hell they want), but it makes it harder for me to appreciate.

How do I approach this type of music, /jazz/? What mentality should I have? What should I keep in mind?
>>
>>60519792
not too familiar with the subject matter but I'll definitely note it down for the future.
>>
>>60519819
If it's not clicking you should listen to some bebop first to know what these guys were building on and working with.

Best starting point to work up to Unit Structures IMHO is Coltrane's early albums like The Shape of Jazz to Come that has one foot clearly in bebop tradition and one in free/avant.

Also Cecil Taylor has some early stuff that's way more traditional so check that out first too.

When your ear is familiar with that, come back.

It's a double whammy of musicians building complicated new free form stuff on a foundation that was familiar to audiences and musicians of the time but probably strange to you, so keep that in mind - it's not a complicated ponzi-scheme or uncomphrehensivle weirdness.
>>
>>60519758
Shorter is probably one of the greatest jazz composers still living although some would argue that the quality of his output dropped off in the 80s. Start with Speak No Evil and the move on to the rest of his 60s output.
>>
>>60519819
First get familiar with the major players and albums in bebop and hard bop. Then start moving into the hard bop players who began doing more avant garde influenced stuff with less restricted improvisations. Then from there start moving into the heavier free jazz playing. It helps to hear how the music progressed over time and you will start hearing more distinct elements of the improvisation that you can relate more to the earlier styles.
>>
>>60519992
>Coltrane's early albums like The Shape of Jazz to Come

um
>>
>>60520042
Meant Coleman obv

Coltrane's work A Love Supreme onwards is another great way to get into free jazz, but doesn't build up to Taylor's Unit Structures
>>
>>60519819
I think it's a bit misleading to think that free jazz is just people doing whatever they want. I believe there's usually a lot of really great interplay and awareness of what the other musicians are doing so they can either compliment or foil it.
I personally like it because it strikes this really nice point between being really cerebral and really emotional.
Cecil Taylor, admittedly, falls more towards the cerebral. You might want to check out the more spiritual side of it if you aren't getting much out of Taylor. Later Coltrane, late 60s to mid-70s Don Cherry, Albert Ayler, maybe even early to mid-90s David S. Ware.
It's totally cool if you aren't able to get into it though, I understand why a lot of people aren't super into it and there's no shame in that.
>>
>>60520270
Whoops, just meant the entirety of David S. Ware's 90s output.
But I'd definitely recommend Godspelized first and foremost.
>>
File: folder.jpg (96 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
96 KB, 600x600
>>60519819
dude

listen to this album. it's just perfect.

The thing is, free is not random notes, but it's being free from standard routines, harmonies, standard tempos etc. if done well you could say it's "liquid" instead of "quantitized".

Of course if you are not familliar with jazz you won't understand this at all
>>
>>60520852
avant garde jazz =/= free jazz
>>
>>60520888
>>60520888
avant garde can clearly be free jazz.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eric_dolphy/out_to_lunch_f2/
>The avant-garde (from French, "advance guard" or "vanguard", literally "fore-guard")[1] are people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics.

>Free jazz musicians attempted to alter, extend, or break down jazz convention, often by discarding fixed chord changes or tempos. While usually considered avant-garde, free jazz has also been described as an attempt to return jazz to its primitive, often religious, roots and emphasis on collective improvisation.
>>
>>60520888
You could make the argument that all free jazz is avant garde but not all avant garde jazz is free.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.