[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Song connections that haven't been made.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: were_only_in_it_for_the_money.jpg (653 KB, 1418x1416) Image search: [Google]
were_only_in_it_for_the_money.jpg
653 KB, 1418x1416
Obviously "We're Only In It For The Money" is a response to what Zappa perceived as a falsified bastardization of genuine innovation and introspection that the Beatles were leading with the hippie movement, and specifically with Sgt Pepper, but "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" specifically reads as a direct dig at the sort of glorifiedd nostalgia that was so prominant on Sgt Pepper, where things from the past are re-explored through a dream like exploration that ends up romanticizing reality for the sake of giving it "higher meaning" Here Zappa does the opposite by recalling vile juvenile events from his past, like neighborhood kids lighting their farts and saving mutated animals in jars to sort of dispel the illusion of romantic meaning and purpose that John and Paul were giving their youths as a bunch of disingenuous nothingness.

What are some song connections you've noticed that aren't heavily publicized?
>>
I've never really thought of We're Only In It for the Money having specific connections to Sgt. Pepper's aside from the cover - I've always found it to be pretty specific to California in it's commentary of both the hippie culture and anti-hippie measures and attitudes
>>
>>60515334
I didn't read this post.
>>
Zappa was just a jealous faggot that no one gave a shit about his meme music
>>
Is the guy in the dead center JonTron?
>>
>>60515334
it's a song name country but it isn't country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkxWkXYzVrs
>>
>>60515493
getting easier and easier to spot the virgins/plebs
>>
>>60515857
nah but zappa can't even be compared to the beatles. Even the beatles solo. Harrison's All Things Must Pass>anything that zappa's done desu. Zappa's just too much of a tryhard
>>
>>60517350
...what the actual... fuck...desu
>>
senpai
>>
>>60515344
The Beatles actually liked this album John Lennon even sent Frank Zappa a telegram advising him that if he ever wanted to make fun of The Beatles ever again, he should contact him first, because he would show Frank how to do it correctly. It's a true, historical fact.
>>
>>60515493
And what part of "Go Die in a Fire" didn't you understand the first time around?
>>
I think Zappa had a secret boner for popular culture or was jealous or something. He was a reactionary and contrarian whose work only makes sense when you put it into the context of popular music traditions. like his pal beefheart. they had no original artistic vision. they were critics in the guise of performers
>>
>>60517350
Please explain to me what was so great about the Beatles?
>>
>>60518479
well zappa was heavily influenced by them for one

look at that fecking album cover

what you "hate" influences your decisions juat as much, if not more so
>>
>>60518427
Zappa really wanted to be a composer, but at the same time have complete control of not only the composition but also the musicians etc. and not be a part of some institution so he was definitely jealous of pop culture figures and he was pretty open about actually being in the business of crude comedy songs and such "for the money".

He was generally very observant of pop culture and society in general, but didn't want to be part of it as it was - he was essentially just looking for ways of trying to fund his passion of composing larger works while having control of the band to fulfill the artistic vision. Zappa would have really loved to live in modern times when technology has actually made it possible pretty much instead of almost-there Synclavier shit.
>>
>>60518550
>well zappa was heavily influenced by them for one
actually for MILLIONS

MILLIONS
my

minion

friend...
>>
>>60518575
ah so he's actually exactly what he comes across as... a bitter "failure"
>>
>>60518550
Fucking love Zappa's Norwegian Wood parody, "Texas Motel"
>>
>>60518479
great writers and singers
>>
>>60518427
almost everyone has a boner for popular culture it's the biggest con on earth and continues to get away with releasing very low anti intelligent Art that's racks in loads of cash.

nah beefheart imo in the end was smarter then frank he got out and went into painting
>>
>>60518669
sorry sHOULD have said back into painting :(

there's a beefheart documentary on youtube it's really good imo
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.