[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is vinyl dead on mu?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: SOLIDGOLD-1.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
SOLIDGOLD-1.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
the posts lately seem to get archived super quick and with barely any replies.

Thoughts?
Recent cops?
>>
Records are stupid.
>>
normies are into vinyl now, so it's dead in here now.
>>
>>60512516
>record
>stupid
Pick one pls
>>
>vinyl
>>
The obsession with them was a fad. It was a cool fad but still a fad. Digital music is way better.
>>
>>60512524
>>60512652
Bummer dood.
>>
>>60512507
I-I still have them OP
I don't have a job atm and am a poor college student on loans so i've been suspended till that all changes, but it's a fun hobby and late-night intimate vinyl sessions are quite conforting

what have you copped lately?
>>
>>60512507
I'll admit I'm a newfag to /mu/ (also, only 19), but last year I came across a record player in a thrift store for 5 dollars so I picked it up, replaced the stylus and got my first record - The Blueprint by Jay-Z. My parents have at least 500 records that they keep stored in a townhouse they rent out and they would play them when I was younger, but I never took an interest because "old people music" I guess. Now, record collecting is a hobby of mine, but I don't normally bring it up because I feel like some sort of hipster or something.

I like the sound it has and with my surround sound system and the dusty old - although expensive and in great condition - receiver my parents sold to me it sounds great. Every once in awhile I'll go to my parents townhouse and check on the tenant or fix something and I'll look through the collection and bring one home. My most recent grab from my local store was Axis: Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix
>>
>>60513032
>19
you're older than most of this board lol
but that's cool. hipster is a meaningless buzzword both online and irl and i don't recommend letting other people's perceptions influence your own taste, which happens real easily to people on this board

what other albums do you like/own?
>>
>>60512639
>>60512652
>>60512925
>>60512516
>>60512524
>Thinks vinyl is a gimmick
>Hasn't heard of a vinyl exclusive
Plebs will never hear the good stuff
>>
It's a fun hobby to collect records you enjoy and listen to them with full attention, don't really see how a format of music is a "fad".
>>
I collect records, but I'm in it basically entirely for the collecting part much like baseball cards I guess. I dont post about it a lot because I only buy a new one every few months as I always buy original pressings and even with my broad taste they usually run me around $40 a pop or so, sometimes more but usually less.
>>
What is your gear, /mu/?
>Turntable
Technics SL-1200mk2
>Cartridge
Ortofon Concorde Pro S
>Amplifier
Onkyo A-5
>>
>>60512652
>fad
Ive been collecting vinyl longer than you've been alive
>>
>>60512507
>Recent cops?
New hotline
New Berceuse Heroique
>>
Vinyl went mainstream and the hipsters got butthurt, so now they pretend to like cassettes.
I want cassettes to go mainstream because then they will pretend to start liking CD'S you will see.
>>
>>60513383
This desu.. I first started getting into vinyl because of all the stuff Hydra Head was putting out that I couldn't find proper MP3 versions of.
>>
>>60513957
Man.. I have so many cds... I worry that the data will corrupt on them eventually and they'll all be totally useless..
>>
>>60513930
great labels, the new Borai ep is amazing
>>
>>60514188
Just make 1:1 backups?
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Configuration_Wizard
>>
>>60512507
>recent cops

The Ocean / Mono Split. Looks pretty neat
>>
>>60513957
There is still 8-track, but I doubt they are going to be that fucking hipster.
>>
>I spend hundreds of dollars to listen to music in outdated formats
??????
>>
Hey since we're talking vinyl I'm thinking of getting a record player because the old one I have is no longer operational. Is an Audio Technica a decent beginner set up? I don't want to spend excessive amounts and I've heard they sound good, but I also don't want to get something cheap and tear my records up like a crosley
>>
>>60514420
try thousands.
>>
>>60512507
>Recent cops?
Luke Hess - Light in the Dark [echocord 037]
Kettenkarussell - Easy Listening [GIEGLING LP 04]
Gigi Masin - Wind (reissue) [BAR 003]
Nuno Canavarro - Plux Quba [DC639]
Jim O'Rourke - Eureka [DC162]
Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete [WARPLP266]
Sa Pa - 風物詩 [FORUM IV]
Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM [AMLH 64853]
Various - Bokhari Presents EP [BK012]
>>
>>60514441
>Is an Audio Technica a decent beginner set up?
If you mean the AT-LP120-USB, yes. It's the best you can get for that money unless you buy used and refurbish them.
>>
>>60514441
I've heard they're good. That's probably what I'd go for if I didn't have a fairly basic sony one.
>>
>>60514485
nice eureka.. did anyone ever bother with the new jim on vinyl? the digital version sounded just awful.. but maybe...?
>>
>>60514485
Pretty good cops, Kettenkarussell was very underrated last year, same goes for Sa Pa this year. Also got that Wind reissue too, great pressing.
>>
>>60514519
>>60514526
Thanks my dudes
>>
>>60514543
Yeah, that Sa Pa album is one of my favorite things this year, surprised that it didn't get much hype. Giegling/Forum is on fire, glad that I managed to pick up some of their releases before they got super expensive like the DJ Metatron EP.
>>
>>60512652
The obsession with overprised Record Store Day splattered colored vinyl bullshit and Crosleys are a fad. That's not the entire format though.
>>
>>60514519
anyone here who is dutch? I can't seem to find it on dutch sites...

anywho, how much does it cost?

also I've mostly been buying from second hand stores. set up is a mix of random thrift store things, but bought in rich areas where no one goes to thrift stores so fairly good quality. for the money, at least.
>>
File: n4pwIG3.jpg (162 KB, 1024x741) Image search: [Google]
n4pwIG3.jpg
162 KB, 1024x741
Vinyl is too popular to be financially viable now. £23 for Divers? Fuck off, HMV. Even Juno is expensive now.

I got a load of stuff from Italians Do It Better which is reasonably priced though.
>>
you can't pirate vinyl so poor /mu/ can't keep getting more
>>
>>60515122
i always thought about that, why doesn't the music industry just release everything on vinyl again since you cant pirate it?
>>
>>60515142
Vinyl rips, son.
>>
File: DSC_0127.jpg (529 KB, 1812x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0127.jpg
529 KB, 1812x1200
Got this in the mail a few days ago on nice looking clear wax
>>
>>60515106
>expense
they hardly lose value if you take care of them
>inconvenience
I think it's actually nice to set up the record before playing it, you just gotta see it as a part of listening to the music.
>>
>>60515632
I believe the artist was just poking fun and is an avid collector. It is pretty funny though.
>>
I've been collecting records since before the majority of you were born. I actually prefer shellac to vinyl, although I'm not (quite!) old enough to have bought it new.

If you think that vinyl will ever be anything more than a niche interest again in the future, you're deluded. It has some wonderfully attractive qualities at an aesthetic level, but as a method of collecting and reproducing music for actually listening to? It sucks.

At 6/7000 discs I'll have to buy a new house before I can significantly expand my collection. I can put the same amount of music (indeed much more) into the pocket of my cargoes. I can play the digital versions anywhere, my records need a (comparatively) bulky reproduction system and a level, non moving environment. The longevity comparison is more debatable but I can honestly say I have every piece of digital music I have ever purchased/ripped and every track is exactly the same quality as the day I acquired it, I cannot say the same for my records unfortunately.

It's good to see an interest in analogue formats again, but it's definitely an "enthusiast" market.
>>
They are ridiculously expensive, every record I want ranges from £50-£200
Everyone who purchases vinyls knows the price of everything so better music costs much more

I considered it but in the end it's really a pointless waste of time and money when I just want to enjoy music
>>
>>60513508
nice
I use some beat up secondhand yamaha stuff so I really can't brag, but it works pretty well
>>
Last thing I bought was the Beatles Mono set, Springsteen set and CCR set. I also ordered everything from Phil Elverum's site but it hasn't arrived.

£ridiculous for delivery. 100 fecking pounds.
>>
>>60513508
>>Turntable
Numark TT1-Pro - I have four, it's an older deck and much nicer than the modern Numarks/ATs (IMO). Never went with the ubiquitous Technics because, bar the SL1220 Mk.IV which is ridiculous expensive, they do not support 78RPM which is important to me. Real audiophile equipment is no good to me, I DJ, so I need something I can move and my ear is not that good anyway DESU.

>>Cartridge
Stanton 500s, actually 520s at the moment as I got a lot of them NOS at good money. Use stock Stanton stylus for vinyl, the 78 ones are made for me by an old guy in Switzerland, each cost more than the deck it's on.

>>Amplifier
Tube amp hand made by my deceased grandfather. Although most of the time I use a little Rokit RP5s
>>
>>60516087
*SL1210 MK.IV, not 1220
>>
File: Ecophony Rinne.png (490 KB, 582x582) Image search: [Google]
Ecophony Rinne.png
490 KB, 582x582
Found this for 7 euros in the second-hand section last week. Fantastic record.
>>
Original pressings of Psychocandy and Songs in the Key of Life for £2.50
>>
>>60516136
Jealous as fuck.
>>
>>60515055
>anywho, how much does it cost?
$250-300
>>
File: records-moving-2.gif (1 MB, 400x265) Image search: [Google]
records-moving-2.gif
1 MB, 400x265
>>60513508
>NAD 5120
>Ortofon OM Pro S
>shitty panasonic SA-MT1 (could be worse)
also made this last week, pic related
>>
>>60517111

That's pretty darn cool. All of mine are in the boxes industrial Kleenex rolls come in (great if you can find them, tough, thick card and exactly the right size for an album in a sleeve). The boxes are racked up in various configurations of Ikea Kallax shelving (which I also recommend)
>>
>>60517192
nice, yeah i have a 2x2 kallax full as well, they're cheap and pretty decent actually
>>
File: IMG_4248.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4248.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>60513508
I recently picked up a new TT, Yamaha GT-2000, that came fitted with a nice denon cart. Pic related.
>>
>>60517292
Very nice, how much did it set you back?
>>
Couldn't buy anything recently because I'm broke rn but I will pick up Giles Corey, even though it's ridiculously overpriced
>>
>>60517762
Thanks! I scored it on Yahoo Japan for about the equivalent of $1300 USD including shipping, but I had sold my last turntable for $600 just prior, so all in all not that bad of a save up I think.
>>
>>60518353
I've bought smaller stuff like records and video games from Yahoo Auctions, but I dunno if I would trust a deputy service to ship something that huge and easily damaged.
>>
>>60517292

That looks amazing.
>>
I have a 1976 Technics SL-23 table, but the timing on it seems weird. The knob is really sensitive and when it does turn, it appears to slow down and speed up constantly. It hasn't been run in probably 20+ years, so that's probably why. Would an AT-LP120 be a good replacement for it? it needs a new cartridge and stylus too, and that'll probably cost an arm and a leg anyways.
>>
>>60515106
yeah italians is one of the few labels that hasn't ramped up their prices, which is nice... I actually pick up pretty much everything they put out, and have since they first became a label... The Canadian dollar is making keeping up tough though..
>>
I don't fuck with vinyl because my mom made my dad sell all his when I was born. Everything he showed me was on CD.

I only really collect CD now because of that.
>>
>>60518899
Same. I try and buy in bulk due to shipping to England not being the cheapest but some items being so limited means I have to bite the bullet and go for it.
>>
>>60518899
Medical Records (reissue label putting out some killer releases) has decently priced stuff too (for being 180g).
>>
>>60518707

Change the belt.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.