[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't have much time here. Who likes the Manic Street
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: the holy bible.jpg (285 KB, 1418x1404) Image search: [Google]
the holy bible.jpg
285 KB, 1418x1404
I don't have much time here.

Who likes the Manic Street Preachers?
>>
>>60508246
My dad and I both agree that that album is dogshit.
They have a couple nice songs though
>>
Are you going to die?
>>
>>60508320
I might be about to meet my fate, but I need /mu/ to tell me if it's the wrong fate
>>
>>60508270
You and your dad are pleb shits and should suck each others dicks.

>>60508246
They're fucking brilliant. Also underrated as fuck on /mu/ (and everywhere outside Britain really)

>>60508408
For fuck's sake OP stop being "le mysterious". Are you going to pull of a Richey?
>>
>>60508246
"kill yourself"-tier band
>>
>>60508488
wew lad you wasted those dubs with your garbage opinion
>>
>>60508469
I wouldn't argue about pulling off a Richey, so long as he looked like Richey. He was one beautiful bastard. It would be an honour.

My favourite Manics album is The Holy Bible, Tell Me Yours
>>
>>60508488
only 1/4 of the band was that tier

>>60508757
Generation Terrorists. It's youthful, dangerous, and glam. The band were never that exciting again.
>>
nobody
>>
>>60508810
>It's youthful, dangerous, and glam.
But so was Gold Against the Soul
>>
>>60508856
Disagree, Gold was hollow and defeated. Even the songs were about hospitals and dying war vets and so on.
>>
>>60508757
It would have to be either Holy Bible or GT.

>>60508856
GT has this youthful spirit, "lets change the world" naiveness like no other album. It's so out there even the more mediocre songs sound powerful, idk how to explain it. Plus, musically it's a GOAT glam-punk album and it has some top-tier lyrics.

I also adore Gold Against the Soul, but that one feels less special than GT. Sleepflower is essential Manics tho desu

Also, Life Becoming a Landslide is their best EP.
>>
I really don't get the appeal of MSP. They sound really buttrocky to me. Am I missing something?
>>
The Holy Bible is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. None of their other work has really hooked me though.
>>
>>60508946
>Life Becoming a Landslide is their best EP.
>Sleepflower is essential Manics tho desu
Agreed 100%

>>60508936
>Gold was hollow and defeated
It was a kick in the face to everything glam should be, even the photos in the liner were a spit in the face to hair metal, glam-punk trash.
I don't think GATS is hollow, just a painted-fingernail fist in the face of trends and the charts
>>
>>60509012
Listen to Journal For Plague Lovers right now, it's basically The Holy Bible part II but a bit lighter in mood and with a slight sense of humor. Imo their 2nd best

>>60508996
Thought that too the first time I've heard them. Looking up their background helped a lot.

>>60509032
The lyrics and hooks in GATS are fantastic. As an album it's pretty underrated. It's kinda like a black sheep deal, it came at a time were everyone was against glam albums with arena-rock stillings, and it happened to be released between two of the band's most praised albums.
>>
>>60508246
>it's
>>
i love that album

i haven't bothered to listen to much of their other work, i didn't like what i heard
>>
>>60509153
>As an album it's pretty underrated.
It really is. The big riffs, the lyrical themes and the whole aesthetic. I wouldn't even call Generation Terrorists "great", because I think Gold is better in every way. It's a tighter, more focused and biting account of the band. GT is the go-to album when you want to hear a band that have lived in garages and scout halls finally make it to a studio with programmed drums.
No bad thing, but not as tight and focused as Gold Against the Soul. In my opinion anyway
>>
>>60509280
I'd say it's more introspective, despite the maximalistic production. It has a more cozy, bittersweet feel to it. Also a way more diverse sound. I guess it's one of those cases where preference of aesthetic is key. The only release by them I don't really enjoy is Postcards, don't see the appeal of it at all
>>
>>60509458
Postcards is fine, it's like one last attempt at a pop rock album. The talent is a given, and it's one of those albums that you either like or you don't. I've found that the more I listen to it the better it gets, and songs like It's Not War, Postcards, Hazelton Avenue, Some Kind of Nothingness and Auto-Intoxication have really grown on me. The latter half of the album is just as good too if you're like me and skip Nicky's vocals. I love the guy, but.. just no. Sorry Nicky.
The only Manics album I don't play in my rotation is Know Your Enemy, and it's probably a fine album but I can't hear it.
>>
>>60509153
>Listen to Journal For Plague Lovers right now
You don't have a link, do you? I can't find any in the archive.
>>
>>60509558
Will give Postcards another shot.
Lmao I'm actually quite fond of Know Your Enemy. More like a compilation of songs than as an album, it's too disjointed to be categorized as such. To me it feels like a In Rainbows kind of deal, where the band just gave no fucks, did a bunch of songs while enjoying themselves experimentating with new sounds and called it a day.

>mfw the Manics are too popular and "buttrock" to ever be discussed on /mu/ and be meme'd on
>>
>>60509746
>the band just gave no fucks, did a bunch of songs while enjoying themselves experimentating with new sounds and called it a day
Know Your Enemy summed up in a oner
>>
>>60509665
Sorry m8 don't have it right here. It's on piratebay and soulseek though
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.