[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: chris.jpg (171 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
171 KB, 1024x768
>Post gear
>Post desired gear
>How long have you been playing?
>Favorite guitars?
>Favorite guitarists?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music

Beginner information and FAQ:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Learn guitar:
http://www.justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

>Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

--

>Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Last thread: >>60465465
>>
Caca
>>
>>60492868
literally own the exact guitar in that pic, I took the pick guard off though because im not a fucking gaylord
>>
I want to get into playing black metal, is there a lot more to it than tremolo picking minor chords?
>>
File: IMG_20151118_144521.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151118_144521.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
My first guitar, my amp is a Roland Cube10GX
let the bashing begin
>>
>>60493256
Have fun!
>>
>>60493332
Thanks! I do even though it can be frustrating to practice one chord change for 20 minutes without improving, when I finally get it the pride I feel definetely makes up for it
>>
>>60492946
tritones, for one
>>
File: 20151112_032405.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151112_032405.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>60493497
The middle knuckle is too far up. See pic for proper placement (bottom). Personally, I find that forward slash style (top) gives more control.
>>
File: getars.jpg (592 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
getars.jpg
592 KB, 1200x800
>>60493978
>>Post gear
Gretsch G5410, LTD-M5, Blackstar ID:core 20wat
>>Post desired gear
Vintage Japanese made copy of a SG or just a Epiphone SG, Peavey Windsor, orange cab(in black), Octave Pedal(Boss OC-3 or E-H Octave Multiplexer), Boss FZ-5, some overdrive, phaser and wahwahwah-pedal(dunlop crybaby)
>>How long have you been playing?
Eh, 4 years but first 3 I just played shit and didn't try to improve at all

Should I spend all of my Christmas money on pedals and not give out any gifts? I'm broke as fuck, but will be getting 300bucks next month from the gobberment in tax returns. I just really really really want a fuzz and octave pedal.
>>
>>60493478
Learning a new skill like playing an instrument can be frustrating - improvement often feels like 2 steps forward, one step back,

Perseverance and consistency is the key - it's far better to try and do half an hour a day of practice rather than do 10 hours a day on the weekend.

With my own students I pretty much always use a method book as it is easy to chart how far they have got, even if they don't feel it themselves.

Having said that, most of my students are younger kids that I teach through a school based program, and the school likes the kids to follow a set program to an extent.
>>
>>60493478
I know that feeling. I was stuck on the same part of a song for about a week with little improvement. Now that I figured that out, I'm now stuck on another spot.
>>
>>60494502
not the anon you replied to, been struggling with barre chords for a while now.
Speaking of them, when playing a 5th Major, is 2-3-4 fingering the proper way rather than 3-2-4, or should I even just be doing 3-3-3
>>
File: barre_D_major_root.gif (4 KB, 300x255) Image search: [Google]
barre_D_major_root.gif
4 KB, 300x255
>>60494542
Do you mean an "A" shape barre chord?

I usually go 2-3-4, unless I want to do stuff with my pinkie, then I do 2-2-3 (sus4, 6 or 7) - collapsing the joint on 2 to stop 2 strings - a sort of mini barre
>>
my current amp is a tbx30r.
i want to be able to record myself and experiment with as much sounds as possible but the problem is im dirt poor and can't afford pedals.
i know that its possible to connect the guitar to the pc and use programs that simulate effects.
how good is this method,does it get somewhat half decent sound?
also is it somehow possible to connect the guitar to the pc and use the amp as a speaker because i got shitty little generic speakers.
>>
>>60494647
Yeah that's the one thanks.
Is it not called a 5th major or something like that? I'm only just getting into the theory so I'm not sure on terms.
>>
>new pedal arrives
>doesn't work
f@m ;_; could it be the cold?
>>
>>60494831
no. did you plug it in to power source lol. or try a battery. pretty basic stuff but this it /gg/ and most posters are idiots
>>
>>60494853
Tried the power brick, a regular power supply and a b82rez. Shit.
>>
>>60494895
that sucks. you did plug a cable into the input, not the other way around?
>>
GNL legacy
Wish to have an es-175
>>
File: EOMfepi.jpg (580 KB, 3744x2106) Image search: [Google]
EOMfepi.jpg
580 KB, 3744x2106
r8 my bass pedalboard

Goes into a Drawmer DS201 gate into a Yamaha P4500 power amp into a Trace Elliot 2x15 cabinet.
>>
>>60494909
Nah. RIP this pedal.
>>
>>60494928
Forgot to mention fender pro jr(kinda small but all i need and sounds hella cool)
And a ibanez ts808 tube screamer. I don't need much, am currently practicing technique
>>
>>60494831
>>60494979
Are you feeding it the right voltage? Could be 18v
>>
>>60493978
>teaching people to anchor
jesus christ that book was made by satan
>>
>>60494987
Instructions say it's 9.
>>
>>60494768
>5th Major

Not really a term anyone uses.

You've mixed up a couple of different terms.

Could be an A Major chord shape at the 5th fret, or V chord which is used to describe harmonic function, or a powerchord which is usually written as E5, D5 etc which is a chord with the 3rd left out.
>>
>>60494391
Do whatever makes you happy
>>
>>60495023
Did you try openig it to check if everything is connected?
>>
Any tips on ear training chord recognitions with heavy distortion/fuzz? Figuring out the more common chords with clean or overdriven sounds is rather easy.
>>
File: IS2jL2h.jpg (50 KB, 591x960) Image search: [Google]
IS2jL2h.jpg
50 KB, 591x960
Which should I replace first?
>Peavey Ultra (worried about age and reliability, love tone, replace with Peavey XXX?)
>Gibson SG Standard (only electric i own and only model I ever want to play again, get another?
>Peavey 5150 4x12 cabinet (change stock speakers?)

Everything is smoke free and in good working order, I just worry about the Ultra and only having one guitar.
>>
>>60495666
Nice try, Satan.

I think you just need to keep listening to said chords with heavy distortion. I don't use big chords with heavy distortion though, gets too messy.
>>
>>60495691
>Which should I replace first?
Your wife.
>>
>>60495691
>Which should I replace first?
Your wife.
>>
>>60492921
Pipi
>>
>>60495314
Yes, everything looks fine and it lights up.
>>
god damn this is corny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEzmn1cy744
>>
>>60494746
You might be able to afford a USB sound card with 1/4 or XLR inputs and use that. It'd pretty much fit all of your needs.

You could record a dry track, do live monitoring with digital effects (eg distortion, reverb, amp sims) applied in real time and use your combo amp as the output.

I don't know if the cheaper ones (Behringer etc) sound any good but I'm sure they'll be plenty enough for your needs.

>>60494960
How much did you pay for that power supply? Would you recommend it?
>>
>>60496012
i-is this a joke?
>>
Does anyone sell two tier hinged pedalboards that are not custom built on order? I want to stack my set-and-forget pedals underneath other pedals.
>>
Is Plini djent?
>>
>>60496085
It's like a proggy nickelback. Legitimately some of the worst shit I've ever heard.
>>
>>60496105
It's very bad. You now remember when he was a normal looking guy making videos in a comfy looking room.
>>
>>60496060
>How much did you pay for that power supply? Would you recommend it?

It was 70 Euro from Thomann. Looking at the specs it might be a little underpowered, but it has worked perfectly for my amount of pedals.
>>
>>60496012
If I wanted to watch a bunch of semi-successful old farts play self-masturbatory prog music I'd pick Winery Dogs instead
>>
>>60493256
I'd recommend upgrading to at least a Squier Affinity Strat as soon as possible; that'll give your learning a big boost.
I started with Stagg Strats (also a weird cheap brand) and that probably held my learning and enjoyment of guitar playing back a year or two.
>>
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but fuck it

I play guitar and sing, lately i've been interested in buying an ukelele, however i'm scared that i'll need to sing way too high in order for it to sound well

Any advice? experiences? should i just stick to guitar?
>>
>>60496527
Just sing in your normal vocal range. Just because your instrument changes octaves doesn't mean your voice has to follow.
>>
>>60496527
Unless you can sing like Tiny Tim I don't know if it's a good idea

And as always if you're thinking of performing something for an audience always ask yourself first if anybody cares to hear this shit at all

If you only want to pick it up to dick around though, go ahead, shouldn't be that big of an expense
>>
>>60496555
>>60496558
It's mostly to dick around when i travel, i always carry a classic guitar but shit gets boring after a while, I guess i'll see if i can try one out and see how it turns out, thanks
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (242 KB, 3000x1587) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
242 KB, 3000x1587
is butt doctor here?

butt doctor- how would you rate the misty cave?

I can't tell if I like it or not but I keep looking at vids of it so I think I like it

I can't tell if its worth it or if I should just buy something like a flanger haox that seems like it might be able to do the same thing but a lot more
>>
File: PDN_Neck.jpg (63 KB, 1199x799) Image search: [Google]
PDN_Neck.jpg
63 KB, 1199x799
Does anyone know of any oil for the back of a neck that doesn't feel sticky?

I'm looking more for a satin feel than a gloss finish. The neck I have is already sealed with shellac and it feels pretty good but I think it could use a couple of coats of something.

Anyone ever try Gunstock oil?
>>
>>60496683
if your neck already has something like shellac on it the oil probably wont' go into the wood itll just sit on the shellac

you could try wet sanding it with like 1000 grit or higher to get a satin feel

I redid a squier jag neck with danish oil and took all the poly off, it made the neck really susceptible to humidity changes and was always out of whack.
>>
>>60496747
hmm I figured that might be the case.

>you could try wet sanding it with like 1000 grit or higher to get a satin feel

Yeah that's exactly what I did, just feels a little bare right now. Maybe some gunstock wax might work?
>>
>>60496809
some wax on the neck will just make it all gunky and nasty

what grade sand paper did you use?

maybe go down to like 800 or 600?
>>
>>60496849
It was actually a neck that I had french polished to a gloss but it got all kinds of chips in it (super fragile finish) so I had to take it down. I used 400-2000 grit to get it down to basically just a thin coat of sealed shellac.

It actually feels alright so I probably won't mess with it if Gun Stock wax really does leave a gunky feel. I just heard that's what Musicman uses and I love the way their necks feel.
>>
>>60495912
cuca
>>
>>60496104
No. I don't know why he and Chon always get thrown in with the djent crowd.
>>
>>60496987
>Gun Stock wax
dunno!

looks like music man oils then waxes but the wood is completely bare?

i guess gunstock wax is all high temp
>>
Guys, should I pay around 150 for the best luthier in town to setup my guitar?

My stupid FR won't stay in tune, and now the wooden thread in the locking nut is stripped. Really tired of doing all this stupid work.

He seems legit though, built a lot of thousand dollar instruments but man.. That price.
>>
>>60497447
I've got my first strat couple days ago, it took me couple hours to set action and tremolo, everything stays in tune even if i go nuts with that bridge, just do it yourself, it's easy.
>>
>>60497476

You know the two screws that hold down a locking nut? Yeah their threads are worn/loose/stripped.. Whatever you call it.

I have no idea how to fix it.
>>
>>60497529
Wedge a dowel rod in the holes, cut it flush, and redrill the hole, with all the supplies and tools it should take like 15 minutes.
>>
>>60497631

... Yeah I'm that stupid enough to not be able to do that. The most 'advanced' thing I ever did with my guitar was, take out the tremolo and applied grease to the knife edge, and adjusting the truss rod. I have no woodworking experience.
>>
>>60497631
I actually have to do something similar to my Les Paul. The idiot I bought it from installed a Kahler but didn't actually make sure the old bridge studs line up the bridge with the proper scale length so my intonation is always a little sharp at the 12th fret unless I set the action stupid high, so I have to fill the holes and redrill them about 3/16" back. Sucks, because I don't have a drill bit big enough (or an actual drill bigger than a powered hand screwdriver) so I have to choose between almost unplayable action or slightly off intonation.
>>
>>60497631
Yea, this. Don't be a pussy, i'm sure you can do it, m8
>>
>>60497710
>Woodworking experience
Dude, it's basic as fuck
>>
File: WP_20150517_15_34_50_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150517_15_34_50_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 1728x3072
My cheap squier strat with a pearly gates in bridge, cook rails mid, and jb jr neck

and my jim root tele
>>
>>60497725
>>60497631

Can I just use CA glue?
>>
>>60497710
It's not hard, bro. Measure the holes, go to a hardware store and ask for one dowel rod in the size you got in your measurement, jam it in the hole (if you measured right you should have to cut it close to the right depth and tap it in), then use the next size smaller than your measurement of a drill bit and drill in the center of the rod, or place your nut on the neck where it would sit normally and drill the holes that way). Easier to do than explain by far.
>>
>>60495691
Your wife..
>>
>>60497749
How's the Jim Root?
>>
Are bassists welcome?
>>
>>60497821

>/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General

And they say bassists are stupid
>>
>>60497788
No, it's too brittle, for one, and even if it did work, you'd wreck the holes removing it for whatever reason (changing nut due to stripping of clamp screws, wanting a different color, ect). You could in theory just fill the hole with wood filler or wood dust mixed with glue, but the dowel rod method works best.
>>
>>60497840
Nah dude but I didn't see anyone post about bass and don't browse this board often
Sorry
>>
>>60497858

I'm just messing with you m8. Nothing against bassists. Honestly, when playing in a group, I often prefer playing bass than guitar. Thinking of getting a Music Man/Sterling 5 string, love the way they look and play.
>>
>>60497809

It's so sweet, I'm not even a slipknot/stone sour fan really, I can take them or leave them, it's just a good metal guitar (surprising for a tele). I've always prefered Fenders anyway, just not a fan of the necks on Gibsons and others. My only issue atm is I change between preferring passives to actives, and I'm in a loving passives atm, so it's not played as much as when I'm in that active mood
>>
>>60497711
Sounds like your typical stock Gibson.
>>
I haven't posted here in a while. Is it safe to type the word Rickenbacker without that autist shitposter showing up yet?
>>
>>60497891
I use a Fender Squire, it's kinda cheap but good tone, had some old cheap jazz bass which was totally shit

Guys help me out how do I get a good overdrive setting
I want a lot of punch and not TOO much drive
>>
>>60497953

What kind of bands/players specifically are you after? There's a million different kind of sounds overdriven basses can be used for.
>>
>>60497980
I kinda like the drive on wolfmothers bass
And the cool metallic karnivool type tone
Also thinking of getting me an overdrive pedal, currently have some digital multieffect thing
Boss any good?
>>
>>60497447
whats included in the setup?

If its just setting action/intonation 150 dollars is absurd, you should be able to get a basic setup for $30-65

If it includes a fret level and dress that might seem a bit more normal but still super expensive, that usually is in the ballpark of 75-100 dollars.
>>
>>60497790

Nah I'm pretty sure I would screw that up somehow.. But am I supposed to take the dowel, measure it in exact same size, stuff it into the hole with glue, then drill it again?

Am I essentially filling the hole with wood, then drilling the hole again? Does different wood kind even match?
>>
one fiddy sounds kinda exorbidant, will he go any lower than that?
if he's unfucking some real mess too I'd say 70-100 is kinda expensive
>>
>>60497447
no you dummy do it yourself
>>
>>60498021

Well he says it would be everything he can do to make the guitar play better/sound better. Yeah fret polishing is involved too.
>>
>>60498010
I don't know much about bass effects, but on guitar, you can make yourself much more metallic by boosting the mids around the 1,4KHz frequency with an EQ pedal. And if you add in distortion, you get the typical djent sound.
>>
I'm just glad that I have a good tech that doesn't overcharges.

Just got a pair of Illuminators in my RG, feels good man.
>>
>>60498220
thanks babe but i knew that much
I'll see what i can do
>>
>>60497012
Popsi
>>
Are there any acoustic bass guitars that actually sound good?
>>
>>60498407
no
>>
What are some good songs to play in standard B?
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 1105x1105) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 1105x1105
I'm looking to buy a vibrato pedal, interested in the TC mini shaker and Behringer uv300. Does anyone here have experience with these or other similar pedals?
>>
>>60497948
What autist shitposter?
>>
>>60494478
Yeah I get to practice at least an hour a day because I have loads of times, the problem is more practicing effectively
>>60494502
I guess one they there comes the point when there are no parts to be stuck at anymore
>>60496331
Won't be able to upgrade until in 9 months at least, however I will think about it once I get the chance. My guitar is alright though as far as I can tell
>>
>>60496655
wheres butt doctor when you need him

anyone know of any other resonance pedals?
>>
>>60498791
>butt doctor
kek, hadn't heard that before here.
Is the guy with the expensive stash of pedals>
>>
>>60498791
Rectal Hygienist always posts his kramer aluminium guitar. No exception.
>>
>>60498173
fret polish or level?

leveling takes a fair amount of work over just a polish and makes a huge difference where as a polish is more of a nicety
>>
>>60498826
better than that guy that posted his silver LP and sunburst strat multiple times literally every single GG, butt doctor has lots of cool interesting shit

wish his demo vids were a bit better at showing the stuff off though
>>
>>60498852
I like Silver LP guy. He actually contributes to the threads, he doesn't just spam
>>
>>60498876
thats literally all he does is spam the most boring guitars possible
butt doctor has tons of weird esoteric shit
>>
Found my dad's old acoustic. How does this thing work?
>>
>>60498686
The UV300 is awesome. It's a clone of the Boss VB-2 and pretty much sounds identical. I've had one for 5 years now and I haven't felt the need to get another vibrato pedal.
>>
>>60498791
nothing else quite like the misty cave, especially when you consider the expression pedal control. but you can get sorta similar effect with filter matrix setting on certain pedals, just can't get that pulsing lfo/resonance action. I'm pretty big fanboi of lastgasp pedals thou so its worth it to me, but sure you could probably get in the ballpark for less money. look at ehx flanger and alexander fx f13 flanger for instance.
>>
>>60497953
Cheapest answer I have for you is the EHX Bass Soul Food.
>>
File: cheap.jpg (16 KB, 320x296) Image search: [Google]
cheap.jpg
16 KB, 320x296
Any home diy methods to remove cosmo black finish?

I have MiJ ibanez with that cheap pos covering all the hardware and its blotching everywhere. Looks horrible. I'm thinking of soaking the parts in something to take it all off to the base chrome that seems to be underneath.
At any rate ibanez never again.
>>
>been trying to learn alt picking and tremolo
>read all advice about minimal movement and playing clean

>never improving and still struggle with fast songs

>fuck it i'll just mash the notes no matter how hard I hit and how ugly it sounds

>3 days later acing soungs and sounding more tight than before

I wish I hadn't wasted my time with shit advice
>>
>>60499137
tbqhmfam it's quite good hardware, the hw finish might not be as good as you would like but for the price the overall build quality and instrument is excellent.
>>
>>60499272
>play shit
>practice
>suddenly you get better

I wonder how
>>
>>60492868
Is an Epiphone Standard SG good if I can get it for 160?
>>
>>60499666
I think so, yes. Usually see them for 200 to 250.

Assuming it's in decent shape of course.
>>
>>60499272
>spend 30 hours playing slow and clean
>get frustrated
>spend 2 hours playing shit and sloppy
>30 hours of proper practice kick in
>"wow the 2 hours really worked"

nigga there are no shortcuts
>>
Hey guys, anybody has any experience with the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1/2?
>>
Hey guys, as there's no 'synth' general per se, i thought i'd ask you. I want to try and get my friend some kind of keyboard for christmas and I wanna know what my options are within in a limited price range (£115 at most). It'd be rad if anyone had any kind of rough buying guide for me, thanks
>>
>>60499666
Looks near mint, the guy took good care of it.

No visible scratches/damage
>>
>>60500045
Go for it, seems to be a good deal.
>>
>>60500044

Pirate some VSTs on your laptop and get yourself a cheap midi controller.
>>
>>60500096
Its not for me, for a friend. Will she need a DAW for that?
>>
>>60500053
Will it sound like shit?

I just don't want a cheap guitar anymore, I want something that'll sound good.
>>
File: JMBumEd.jpg (109 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
JMBumEd.jpg
109 KB, 640x576
>>60494391
Dollar store Christmas cards will be fine. Go now before they sell out! Write a couple of sentences in each card before giving.

>>60494993
You're right. Those guys are accomplished players but I don't anchor, myself. I'm deleting the picture for good.

>>60498936
Just plug it in and start playing.
>>
>>60500115
Probably but it's entirely necessary. Lots of applications, DAWs and plain old plugin suites, can act as VST hosts.

How the entire thing works depends on your OS.
>>
>>60500122
Haven't played one mate, the Epiphones I've played have been LPs.

They were quite good with new pickups (Seymour Duncans).

Never quite liked the standard SG but if you like it $160 for a mint Epi SG isn't a bad deal at all. Worst case you might be able to recover the full cost if you resell it.
>>
>>60494391
This - >>60495280
>>
>>60500161
Not entirely necessary***
>>
>>60500161
damn, do you think i'm better off getting her a digital piano with a line out? Her dad has an amp so
>>
>>60500186
If she's retarded then yes
>>
>>60500115

Most likely, yes. You could get Reaper, which is damn cheap for how good it is.
>>
>>60500172
Seconded, I gave myself a $2600 guitar as a xmas gift and reward for going /fit/ and partially overcoming depression after a fucked up relationship.

Just be happy, anon.
>>
>>60500163
I'll probably get it, it's just a good deal and i wouldn't have to drive far for it either.
>>
>>60500223
>Seconded, I gave myself a $2600 guitar as a xmas gift
You can't fucking say this and not post pictures. Get on it.
>>
>>60500200
she wouldn't be taking it super seriously is the thing. Its more of a matter of helping her get into music because he family doesn't really have a lot of cash and she's said she wishes she had something to play in the past. I can't spend loads on her but I do wanna help her at least have access to music
>>60500217
Reaper what? Haven't found anything from google
>>
>>60500274
Still don't have it yet. It's a EBMM JP6 fully loaded, Mystic Dream finish. Not the flashiest guitar but superb versatility and playability.

Tbhdfam (to be honest dear fa.m), I did not spend that amount, it's just what the guitar is worth brand new.
Mine is dead mint and I got it for $1200 but I bought other shit as well.
>>
>>60500153
It's not a plug-in
>>
File: bucket01.jpg (257 KB, 1650x1100) Image search: [Google]
bucket01.jpg
257 KB, 1650x1100
Realistically speaking, how do I become as good as Buckethead? How long and what would it take?
>>
>>60500516
Technically you'd have to invest a similar amount of hours, more ore less depending on talent, to reach the same level of musicianship. So, thousands upon thousands of hours.

But technique is just one part of it and you can probably nail that down in half a dozen years with dedication.

I don't want to give you a precise estimate because that's a retarded thing to do. Go practice.
>>
>>60500044
DONT go for computer shit soft synths/vsts

some of them sound really good but 9/10 times you don't have any fun with them.

Hardware synths are so much more fun and inspiring to use, you actually make shit you like on them instead of endless hours lost in a maze of endless options with computer based synth stuff.

You might be able to get a minibrute used for $200-220 if you look hard

if it needs to be new, maybe something from the korg volca line, they're more like toys but can be fun and some decent stuff can be made on them.
>>
how many years of playing guitar does it take until you're actually "good" assuming you practice for an hour or two every 1-2 days
>>
>>60500671
Not even years
>>
>>60500664
it doesn't necessarily need to be new, no. What will she need if she's using a synth? Just the kit and an amp or anything else? I'm totally clueless in this area, sorry
>>
>>60500682
as in longer or shorter than that

i don't have much free time but still want to play
>>
>>60500671
Depends on how you define good... Time does not equate to improvement, efficiency plays a big part.

I don't really know... I have gotten better by practicing at really variable rates, sometimes you realize something was off in your playing or technique and then you kinda step up.

For me it was the right hand technique, I didn't do pick strokes well and my sound kinda sucked until I learned to pick properly and use more strength in both hands.
>>
>>60500696
>>60500664
I'm finding used microbrutes cheap enough. I don't necessarily think she'll be bothered about digital vs analog if digital is much cheaper.
>>
>>60500783
i just wanna be good enough to write stoner rock that isn't just power chords

and maybe, on a day very far in the future, play jazz guitar
>>
Guys help me out because of a lot of moisture in my area my bass strings and the knobs are getting some shitty kinda rust on em
How do I remove this shit
The knob is getting sticky because the screw below is getting rusty or something too
By the way it's not normal rust it's greyish
>>
>>60500516
it's one thing to practice the techniques he uses

but to actually write the stuff he comes up with? that's something else. i don't really like him, but he does come up with some pretty batshit crazy things.
>>
>>60500867
Think a handful of years. Two or three maybe. Do remember to work on timing and rhythm too, especially for genres like stoner or doom.

Mastering Jazz guitar is a matter of continuous exposure to musical theory. Can't really put a marker on it. You'll know when it starts making sense.
>>
hm... should I buy another OD or another reverb? I already have one of each (my amp also has a built in spring reverb tank)
>>
>>60500989
ok, cool

this is a really nooby question but how do i know what music to practice to improve my technique and still have fun playing
>>
>>60501013
Music you like.
>>
>>60501013
Do yourself a favor and learn theory and technique in tandem. Theory will always give you something to practice. Write those scales into your muscle memory and learn the fretboard through and through. When you get comfortable with the fretboard both technically and theoretically you'll start having a metric fuckton of well deserved fun.
>>
>>60501071
theory is for fags lol
>>
>>60501071
I swear, people go on about theory and never state the best ways to learn about it.
>>
>>60501071
i took ap music in high school, not sure what that's worth

>>60501041
aight
>>
>>60501087
Enjoy being a worthless shitter all your life. Shit's dead simple.

>>60501124
My personal recommendation would be to take lessons but I realize that's not for everybody.

There's always channels like these https://www.youtube.com/user/nimajqeb or any of the fucking website you can fucking Google and find in a split second

>>60501143
Better than nothing
>>
>>60501196
>implying I have enough common sense to use Google instead of complaining
>>
>>60501001
Which ones do you have?
>>
>>60501071
Seconded, as a theory deficient guitarist, I find myself hearing passages or combinations in my head without a real idea on how to translate them to the fretboard. I will start working on my theory.

Also, learn and constantly use a metronome, seems to be what several accomplished guitarists recommend.
>>
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question but is there something I could/should be doing while learning tabs that can help my skill level beyond just knowing the song?
>>
>>60501260
fulltone ocd and supermoon chrome
>>
>watch strum hand
>miss chords
>watch fretting hand
>keep missing the pick
>>
>>60501310
>supermoon chrome

How is it? tempted to get one but I am a bit unsure tbqh
>>
>>60501610
it's so fucking good man. I do want at least one other reverb pedal eventually. I just don't know which I want to get first, that or another great OD
>>
>>60501605
I learned without using a pick.

Then again, I was following Steve Howe who I rarely see use a pick and his music is fucking amazing.

I still somewhat struggle with a pick, it's just practice like everything else.
>>
Thoughts on Acoustic bass amps? I'm thinking about getting a vintage 220 amp and a 402 cabinet for a stoner/doom-project. The set would cost me 500€.
>>
Post djentmeme.
>>
>>60501310
Lol are you me? I've been thinking about swapping the ocd for an airis savage drive and getting an EQD afterneath to compliment to supermoon.
>>
>>60501124
basic theory isn't difficult to learn, there's a million youtube videos and articles on the internet about it

when you start getting into jazz stuff that's when it starts getting complicated
>>
File: axsak.png (300 KB, 576x480) Image search: [Google]
axsak.png
300 KB, 576x480
>>60502743
Turn every chord into a dominant.

Substitute every chord with a ii V.
>>
>>60495997
is the volume on your guitar/amp turned up?
>>
>tfw can't do an A chord no matter how hard I try

fuck genetics
>>
>>60502789
thank you now i completely understand what joe pass is doing
>>
File: fgjr.jpg (48 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
fgjr.jpg
48 KB, 640x428
best cheap travel acoustic?
The Yamaha FG Junior is looking like the best option to me right now. I really want a Baby Taylor but for $300-400 I might as well buy a full sized acoustic.
>>
>>60502856
try different fingerings

the typical standard way to do it is - index on d string, middle on g, ring on b

try - middle on d, index on g, ring on b

it doesn't feel as jumbled up to me when i play it the second way
>>
hey /mu/tants, could someone help me work out the tabs/chords to this song? i'm shit at playing by ear

https://youtu.be/xTnd3O7-ob0

feel free to kik me at projectpaul2k16
>>
>>60502926
That one's even more painful. My D finger keeps catching the G, and it's tough to get my ring on B.
>>
>>60503049
Basically Em, D5/F#, G, D, then Cmaj7 or some shit then sliding that shape up to the 5th fret playing with some open strings to make it some kind of D major chord. Dmaj13 or something.
>>
>>60502528
i'm looking at the red panda context for reverb
>>
Good pedal that can make an amp go from a dry clean to seething gain/distortion?

I've tried the EHX Pocket Metal and Joyo UsDream, and both sound decent enough to me but I want something that cuts through the mix and has decent midrange without being ear-piercingly shrill on the high end.
>>
>>60503049
E |--------------------------------------------------
B |--------------------------------------------------
G |-----------------------------------2-2-2-2-0--
D |-----------------------------------0-0-0-0-2-- . . .
A |-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-0-0-0-2-2-0-0-0-0-3--
E |-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-2-2-2-3-3---------------

Continue the last C chord to the repeat, then it opens up to full chords

>>60503227
This pretty much

2000XX
32000X
X00230
X32030
X54050
>>
>>60503342
soul food
>>
>>60495691
Your wife
>>
>>60503398
I have one actually, but I use it for more "classic rock" sounding distortion. Think less Children of Bodom and more AC/DC.
>>
>>60498031
Don't bother to glue it in, just use one big enough to wedge in there. Friction works better for this application because you're essentially making one of those things you use to hold screws in walls where some idiot put a big nail or screw and didn't put it in a stud out of wood. And just approximate the length you need and cut it flush with wire snips once it's in. Then yes, redrill the hole.
>>
>>60498031
And wood type doesn't matter, I thought most dowels were made from balsa or basswood.
>>
I would get a Stingray bass, but the headstocks are so ugly
>>
>>60498031
When my strap peg screw came out, I went to the grocery store and got some bamboo barbecue skewers and wood glue. Broke up a couple of the skewers, dunked a big piece of one into the wood glue and stuffed em all in the hole and topped off with more wood glue to fill in the cracks, without making a mess, of course.

Let it sit overnight and put a new screw in it the next day. It's been holding strong for several months now. Feels more solid than it ever did before.
>>
I've got a 4 day weekend coming up, thinking about building a couple pedals. I already have a couple fuzzes, distortions, a compressor, delay, a couple cheap buzzy dod modulators, a kind of lame filter, wah, and a basic tremolo. I don't really use pedals too much, but I like soldering and want to kill some time while being productive.

What would you build? I want a better filter, a nice octave pedal(preferably with lower and higher, with the ability to blend root, up, and down independently), but I'm also interested in synth pedals and odd effects.
>>
File: _20151120_174933.jpg (1 MB, 3418x2285) Image search: [Google]
_20151120_174933.jpg
1 MB, 3418x2285
>>60500163
Even if you don't like the sound, replace the pickups before you sell it. With cheaper guitars, name brand parts bring the value up. I know I'll pay more for an Epi with Duncans or Dimarzios than I would for dead stock. It took a while and losing a guitar I regret to come around to Epis. I bought an SG faded off Craigslist for $100 burgerbux and sold it for $200 because I couldn't get used to the thicker neck (my other guitar was and is a strange Jackson Kelly copy with a neck that's super thin like an Ibanez or a Dinky, pic related). But now I've got an Epi LP Standard and I love it.
>>
>>60495691
new mandingo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du80mlxWwfo

he's so funny xD im cryng omg
>>
>>60495691
Your wife, you fucking cuc.k.

>>60503917
kek
>>
>>60496012
At 1:15 I can hear the limp bizkit influence
>>
>>60503946
Fuck you for bringing more views to that piece of shit video.
>>
>>60503805
Working a new 1x10 cab since Wednesday. Will post success/failure. It's the weekend dude!
>>
File: mfw funny.png (100 KB, 227x207) Image search: [Google]
mfw funny.png
100 KB, 227x207
>>60503982
>>
>>60496105
>proggy nickelback
You nailed it. Cringy as fuck.
His singing is pretty bad tbqh. Lyrics aren't doing any favors too.
Solo seems generic but not too bad.

>>60504050
kek, fuck you.
>>
>>60503946
>we'd pretty much SUCK
>>
>>60503946
This is the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen. If this dude acts like this in real life I would kill him.
>>
File: latest[1].png (284 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
284 KB, 540x360
Lemme just jay o in this thread a bit.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s165L4Q6QGzg
>>
>>60503946
fucking nu males
>>
Got some class gear at the moment, for my use
>play a lot of desert rock, psychedelia
>Have a POG 2, a couple of fuzz pedals, Phaser, Shimverb

Plenty of gear I want
>Want eventide for general use, any of their stuff really
>desperate for a chorus, for some of my solo stuff

I'm in a few projects, main is my solo project, experimental shit I guess. Released very little.
https://ghostkingisdead.bandcamp.com/releases

>>60496060
Fuck. She's small but tasty.

>>60497749
nice teles tbf
>>
>>60502906
none of you have a beater kid-size acoustic that you like? :(
>>
Should I return my nano small stone or keep it? I bought it on amazon but I think I'd rather return it and get a better phaser. I'd probably use the 70 bucks I get back to buy another pedal entirely, like an od or reverb
>>
>>60504042
Nice! Hope it turns out good. Make sure you post pics. I just bought a sheet of birch ply to make a 2x12 and then we got hit with 40 degree weather. My garage isn't heated so I'm not bothering with it right.
>>
>>60505041
What kind of music do you want to play?
>>
>>60504078
Rab is a solid guitarist. He does solid stuff for other andertons videos. He's also really decent at pinning tones from other famous artists if you've checked the Sound Like clips.

Dorje is junk though. He smokes this solo at 42:00 for that washed up band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yC5aFL12k0
>>
Hey guys. I'm not here for help but rather validation. I'm a beginner, I am desperate to know how to play guitar but- at my stage at least- it's just agony. I get 0 pleasure from playing, it's just work.

I'm following justinguitars beginner course and while I find it's fantastic, none of the beginner songs appeal to me and even if they did I find no enjoyment in playing dumbed down songs. I honestly find it hard to pick up the guitar and practice because it's just work and I always just feel like I'm shit because I'm a perfectionist.

Is this just the inherent struggle of learning and instrument? Will I get to a point where I can play and will just enjoy playing or will it always be the vicious cycle of practice being hard because you aren't as good as you want to be, then not wanting to practice because for that reason, you aren't enjoying it? if that makes any sense.

>>60505097
pretend im not reposting this because the lack of formatting was triggering me. I thought I'd written less.

I honestly have no style of music I want to play, I just want to play whatever I want.
>>
>>60505041
Yes, you'll ghetto a point where you just genuinely enjoy playing. Starting out is really frustrating, but every time you learn something it becomes a little less so. There will always be something that frustrates you, but overcoming that frustration is what separates good musicians from great musicians. A great musician never gave up or did something halfassed because they didn't feel like perfecting something. You'll get it, it just takes time. You don't have to learn the songs he teaches, learn songs you like.
>>
>>60505126
I'd say learn to play power chords on any set of strings and learn what a major third diad and minor third diad are and then put on some of your favorite albums and try to jam with them. Try to pick out melodies and play along.
>>
>>60505126
Hard practice will pay off in abilities.
Creative loose practice and ear training will pay off in songwriting.

You can just play the instrument for fun now, but without having developed your techniques and ear the results are pretty evident.
>>
>>60500843
theres plenty of digital synths that sound great and have their own thing going for them

VSTs and softsynths suck period.

But they are much more convenient, cheaper, they have tons of things going for them but they always suck in the end and you wind up hating using them.

a hardware synth usually requires a bunch of extra shit to set up to start recording with, midi interface and stuff.

I used to have like 12 hardware synths and sold them all for softsynths/computer based stuff and basically stopped making music all together because I wound up hating computers for this stuff so much.
>>
>>60503946
i fucking hate him
>>
>>60505635
thanks, think i'm gonna get her a mandolin now anyway lol
>>
>>60503946

>Djent lol

What a smuck.
>>
>>60497529
If just the screw holes are stripped, you can fix it with a toothpick and a bottle of white glue. Just coat the toothpick in the white glue, stick it into the hole and break it off flush with the top. When the glue dries, just screw the screw back into the hole again. The toothpick provides enough purchase for the screw to grip and hold again.
>>
pretty fly for a white guy is such a fun song to play. i just realized you can change the root notes to make it a circle
>>
File: IMG_1110.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1110.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Bought a volume pedal on eBay. Had a gross strip of velcro, which I was going to take off anyway. But it wouldn't budge. Peeled it off with pliers and it left literally all of the adhesive.

Can't seem to get this shit off. Tried goo gone, rubbing alcohol, scraping with a razor blade. This is the best I can get it. What can I do to clean it off. It's not going on a board for awhile and it's sticky.
>>
>>60498407
By definition they can't.
If they did, the body would have to be as big as a traditional double bass. Which means it would also have all of the traditional problems of an instrument that size-gigantic, way too fucking heavy, a bitch to transport, a bitch to play, etc.
>>
>>60498936
You put new strings onto it, tune it up, start plucking the strings and noise will come out.
>>
>>60499666
Set neck or bolt neck?

Bolt neck goes for cheaper, but even at 160 it's an alright deal.
If it's a set neck jump on that shit.
>>
>>60506165
water (soap), mineral spirits, acetone, naphtha, thinner, gasoline

one of these gotta get it
>>
>>60506165
put new velcro? you're gonna want some on there when you put it on your board anyway, right? unless you're a ziptie fag
>>
>>60506334
Yeah, I gotta go get some acetone and maybe some lighter fluid instead of gasoline. Also trying not to fuck up the pedal and I'm not sure how to "mask" off the area, or rather what with, so it doesn't spill over the sides.

>>60506361
I will eventually, but I'm slowly amassing the pedals for a board, but don't have the board yet. And I plan to use a lot less than the previous owner did.
>>
>>60503561
Lots of them are made from poplar, but whatever it is, the actual wood type matters much less than the fact that yes, it's made of wood. Especially when glue is used.
>>
File: tmb_2330_480.jpg (15 KB, 480x212) Image search: [Google]
tmb_2330_480.jpg
15 KB, 480x212
>>60506500
Use a rag gguy. You're not pouring one for your dead homies.
>>
>>60506165
>>60506205
>>60506236
>>60506274
>>60506334
>>60506361
>>60506500
>>60506592
>>60506617
hey guys can you please comment on my post about how easy pretty fly for a white guy is to play? >>60506038

i'm having difficulty with the chorus tho
>>
>>60506617
Yeah, I feel like an idiot now. But I legit kek'd, so thanks for that.

>this one's for you ray-ray
>>
>>60505126
Yes, that's how the starting point of guitar playing is-just all work and very little fun. Your fingers won't go into the right places, your pick will slide around and fall out of your hands, the strings will dig into your fingers and hurt, and the notes and chords won't sound out like they do for everybody else. It's just frustration, but push through.
After a while, you'll quit dropping your picks, your chords will sound ok, and you'll be able to transition between them fairly smoothly. After a little while longer, you'll start playing in a way that sounds good to you, and then you'll be off to the races.
>>
by babies :)
>>
>>60506165
Lighter fluid (naphtha).

Works like a charm on tape residue and other adhesives.
>>
>>60506678
Yes, it is easy to play.

There's your reply.
>>
>>60506846
dat feng shui
>>
>>60495691
Could I get an actual reply other than "your wife"?
>>
File: 10strang2.jpg (527 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
10strang2.jpg
527 KB, 1536x2048
>>60502230
Can do
>>
>>60507463
Why don't people who do this just get a fucking bass
Seriously, it's just retarded at this point
>>
>>60507616
Cause I want guitar and bass notes and I don't want a double neck.
>>
>>60507630
And a neck that's double the width is somehow better?
Not to mention that pickups designed for guitars do a shoddy job with bass frequencies, so you just end up with a shoddy sound.
>>
>>60507747
It is for me, I have no trouble playing it. It's way easier for me to have one thick neck as opposed to two regular necks. And who said the pickups were designed for guitar?
>>
File: image.png (16 KB, 298x386) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16 KB, 298x386
>>60507386
Your spouse
>>
>>60507386
Your significant other
>>
>>60495691
As far as replace for the sake of replacement? None, I mean, as long as all are in working order I wouldn't change. Guitars can last for years with only minor maintenance. If it's fine all you'll get is a newer guitar that might have gone through less stringent quality control. If you planned on gigging I would definitely have a back up though. Also, different type of guitar, I have a super start and a tele, and I'm looking at a baritone. I keep different types because they all feel different so I play them differently. As far as the head being old, only things that tend to go are capacitors and tubes. Tubes are very easy to replace, I'm sure you know that though. Caps are a bit more of a pain, but if you never soldered before you can go get an old car and try pulling the old components out and putting them back in. If it still works you'll be good to replace them yourself at the point they die. At that point reliability due to age is no longer a big issue. I would personally change the speakers in my cabinet first if everything is fine, I like changing speakers and pickups just for change, and then I keep the set I took out for the next project.

Tl;dr I wouldn't replace something for the sake of replacing it, only if I think it'd sound better to me or it's broken.
>>
File: 20130922-223618.jpg (81 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
20130922-223618.jpg
81 KB, 610x400
>>60500979
Wipe it down when you finish playing. Keep a dessicant in your case. Removal? Maybe someone else can chime in.

>>60502789
I want an ass-sack! The laughs when I pulled my guitar out of the case would be priceless.
>>
>>60495691
>replace
I get it. Gotta replace these things before they break down like the refrigerator. I would have said the guitar, if you didn't love it so much. Tell your wife that the Ultra has got to go. You will have more fun replacing that than speakers. Good luck.
>>
File: I_came_here_to_laugh_at_you.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
I_came_here_to_laugh_at_you.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>60494960

>Rate my bass pedalboard

I don't even know where to fucking begin here. This is such a god damn mess, not just from cleanliness aspect. What is even going on with your signal chain?

I don't even know what type of sound you're going for here, because with everything set the way it is, it's probably going to sound like a swarm of fucking bees coming out of those 15's.

Why is your compressor almost maxed out. The EBS Multicomp is a damn good bass comp unit, and you're using it like you're two chromosomes away from broccoli.

Indifferent on the BF3, but bass and Boss usually do not mix well. I don't know the time frame well enough to know if the HM-2 is a Japan model, but I'm going to assume no, and even then, why do you even have it on your board?

Can't tell what's on the end, but with grates, it might be tube, or not. I don't know and I really don't want to know. I really hope it's a preamp.

The p4500 is respectable, but it's old, and I can imagine there are better choices out there for a power amp.

Liberal Arts Major/10.
>>
>>60503946
there are few people I genuinely want to punch in the face.

That Steve guy is one of them.
>>
>>60506846
How is the epiphone Les paul slash special?

Worth buying as first electric?
>>
>>60507386
You already got one.
>>60503917

Also, your cuc.ker.
>>
>>60509542
oh yer heaps good man

so worth it

i got it for 150 on special

plays really well

sounds heaps good with 11s
>>
rate this potential purchase
>>
File: Rig.jpg (99 KB, 536x610) Image search: [Google]
Rig.jpg
99 KB, 536x610
>>60509890
Gross
>>
>>60509890
teenager/10
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.