[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT discuss the first peice of music that "blew your mind"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 225x225
ITT discuss the first peice of music that "blew your mind" and exposed you to music in general. For me it was Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.
>>
> butt-clack moosic
>>
It strikes me as a bit skittish and unnecessary to rail on someone solely because of their first-ever /whooooahhhhh/ moment.
Regardless of how out-there or captivating a piece might or might not be, the experience itself is what is important, as it opens the door to actively discovering new music.
What kind of an online community could take pride in bashing one another when it comes to humble beginnings?

Anyway, the first song to do this for me, to knock me off my feet and get me interested in finding more sounds to give me that same feeling, is probably The Gorillaz's "Clint Eastwood". It aired on toonami in my late adolescence, and in the days to follow there was this pair of chicks on my school bus who'd sing it aloud.

These little memories are important, so maybe you should consider answering the question with a hint of seriousness, instead of just shit-posting.
>>
File: atdi.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
atdi.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
i always enjoyed music but this song really hit me when i first heard it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJtAqXbZ1c

its like i could feel the energy of the song in me. my taste has grown a lot since then but roc is still one of my favorite albums
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6nXzbvT0Oo
>>
>>60482052
no reply at all by genesis
>>
File: Fear_Factory_-_Demanufacture.jpg (34 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Fear_Factory_-_Demanufacture.jpg
34 KB, 300x300
>>60482052
i'm not even ashamed tbqh
>>
It was Eleanor Rigby for me
Didn't even speak English at that time
I was probably 7 or 8
Good times
>>
File: A Saucerful Of Secrets - Front.jpg (412 KB, 1413x1407) Image search: [Google]
A Saucerful Of Secrets - Front.jpg
412 KB, 1413x1407
First album I ever listened to was The Wall, then I decided to go chronoligally and when I came up to this it blew my mind.
>>
Fucking underage faggots.
>>
>>60482052
>dadrock
>le born in le wrong generation XD
fuick off
>>
>>60482052
Mine was Led Zeppelin as well. My cousin put on Black Dog when I was like 7 or 8 and it was like a bomb went off in my head. Was a dadrocker from then on until like 15. Can't stand Led Zeppelin now (I played them to death) but I still appreciate it.
>>
File: PaulHardcastle_19_Single.jpg (30 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
PaulHardcastle_19_Single.jpg
30 KB, 350x350
>>60482052

I was around 9yo in Bongland at the time and can still remember the music video with Napalm Strikes etc
>>
I bought a cassette tape of Apostrophe (') at a garage sale for 25 cents because I thought Zappa was a cool name, and it really opened me up to weird music (even if it's not weird by /mu/ standards)
I only really listened to dadrock at the time.
>>
Mine was A Day in the Life by The Beatles. My mom was watching a documentary on TV, and that was the first time I had ever heard someone talk about music that way. That moment pretty much set everything in motion for me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktkRzVEMQCo
>>
File: white-pony.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
white-pony.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
For me it was this one. It was the first album I listened to in full repeatedly and Change (In the House of Flies) would always give me goosebumps. I wish it still had the same effect on me as it used to.
>>
>>60482217
Completely agreed.

For me it was probably Losing My Religion by R.E.M.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
Close to the edge for me. Absolutely blew me away when I first heard it.
>>
>>60482052
Probably something by Earthless, I forgot the song but I was listening to Pandora on the bus one day and I was totally amazed at how someone could solo for ~20 minutes straight. Either that or some Pelican song.

Still love that shit
>>
File: 1447264826815.png (329 KB, 542x579) Image search: [Google]
1447264826815.png
329 KB, 542x579
Iron Maiden - Powerslave made me take music more seriously than background noise, while Burial - Untrue led me into the rabbit hole that is "underground" music, and then, /mu/
>>
>>60483060
What is happening in this picture?
>>
I know it sounds cliche as fuck, but it's true; This album absolutely entranced me when I first heard it on that late October afternoon in 2006. I listened to it three or four times in a row that afternoon, and was doing a really chill, trippy drawing while I listened to it. It actually stands out as a really transcendental experience for me. I have really positive memories from that Fall of just sitting in the living room with the lights off as it got dark listening to this, looking at the street lights from houses outside. Really comfy recollections.
>>
>>60483197
A rat doing a trick. Want more info? I don't have any fuck u.
>>
>>60483197
It's about to jump onto her leg.
>>
tom morello's weird way of playing guitar. music seem pretty boring until that, i think i was 12 or something, maybe even younger
>>
>>60483422
Either this or F#A#
>>
>>60483422
this
>>
File: ÁgætisByrjunCover.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ÁgætisByrjunCover.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
>>60482052
This was so magical back when I first listened to it, and still holds a place in my heart
>>
File: Ompa_til_du_dør.jpg (143 KB, 922x922) Image search: [Google]
Ompa_til_du_dør.jpg
143 KB, 922x922
Eh
>>
File: MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
do i even need to explain?
>>
In the Court of the Crimson King
>>
File: 71H2+Sj3wmL._SL1287_.jpg (129 KB, 1287x1271) Image search: [Google]
71H2+Sj3wmL._SL1287_.jpg
129 KB, 1287x1271
>>
>>60483060
dude. burial was life changing after I sort of accidentally pirated album when i was like 15.
>>
ITAOTS desu
>>
I can't really remember the first time I was completely blown away by a song.

I remember being hit hard for different reasons by different songs. Mostly classic rock stuff, like "Yesterday" by The Beatles or "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" by Van Halen.

This was the first album that I had ever heard front to back and thought "Wow, I like every single song on this album. This is a great album." It was a big turning point in my music listening because it led to me consuming and critiquing music through an album medium rather than just individual songs.
>>
File: radiohead-okcomputer.jpg (312 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
radiohead-okcomputer.jpg
312 KB, 1500x1500
>>60485039
i had a some what same experience with radiohead OK computer, i enjoy nevermind too.
>>
i probably started listening to music intently once I got every zeppelin album on my ipod, that was like 4th grade, I've upgraded to vinyl now and have every zeppelin album
>>
Nirvana's Come as You Are taped off the radio
>>
>>60484813
First listen through, I thought it was meh, kind of abrasive and not into it. Then European Son slams me. For not liking how abrasive the album was, the most abrasive track blew my mind.
>>
>>60482052
The Four Horsemen
>>
File: 1377046160966.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1377046160966.jpg
181 KB, 1280x720
>>60482611
>>
>>60485069
radiohead is diaper baby
>>
File: Beatles_Revolver.jpg (83 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
Beatles_Revolver.jpg
83 KB, 365x365
Those reversed guitar lines on I'm Only Sleeping sounded like fucking time travel. And Tomorrow Never Knows wowowowow
>>
>>60482052
Heroin was my real gateway to noise in music (song not drug)
>>
LCD Soundsystem's "One Touch"

I had never heard anything like it before, and it blew my mind. There were so many layers that went together perfectly, and it was just the right amount of weird.
>>
>>60485605
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1TWpRJ4OQ
>>
>>60485577
Yeah I just listened to that album for the first time yesterday and it's magical.
>>
File: Sponge_trapped.png (251 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Sponge_trapped.png
251 KB, 500x375
>>60485616
Why did you link me this
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.