[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Producers of /mu/, I'm having a complete mental block in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Fl_studio_wallpaper.jpg (120 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Fl_studio_wallpaper.jpg
120 KB, 1280x800
Producers of /mu/,

I'm having a complete mental block in making music, so thought I'd take a break to ask - what do you do to get back into making music after having a block?

I've had this for a week or 2 now, which is annoying because I've got good ideas, I just can't lay them out.
>>
smoke weed
not get too high tho
wait some hours and then try making something, you will be too dumbed down to second guess your ideas and your block will be gone. at least thats what i do when im feeling blocked. if that doesnt work idk
>>
>>60480599
Go do something else for a while, learn new methods, re-arrange your workflow. Listen to new music. Buy some samples, make some samples. Watch interviews. Realize that the chance of you getting anywhere in the music business is slim to none, it's the most competitive branch anywhere. Honestly, the next big thing is not going to be you. But then again the next big thing wouldn't be discouraged by this. Also use Ableton Live u dingdong
>>
>>60480599
Not sure if you're a producer but I've always just tried to ignore it as much as I can and keep producing more. Most if not all will be shit but you'll just have to keep trashing stuff until you get out of it.

You can also try doing stuff that will help yuo in the future like setting up rythms for later or just studying other peoples work. Listen to their music, try copying it, anything to make you start making stuff again.
>>
>>60480768
What's wrong with FL?
>>
>>60480735
I used to smoke weed but I abused it, I moved away from where I used to live to get away from it but it did help with workflow and concentration

>>60480768
I don't even want to be the next big thing, I make music because I enjoy it. Plus the type of music I make and scene I do want to get into, you don't even have to be 'popular' really, just gotta have your own style.

I do tend to watch videos etc. I don't use/buy samples anymore because I learned how to make stuff on synths
>>
>>60480802
I'm an elitist
>>
>>60480814
OP here, If you're an elitist then Logic would be your DAW of choice, has the best clarity and mastering software lol. I have tried Ableton but can't get it right, I've used FL for 5 years so I know it pretty well. Also, I do often listen to other peoples music for inspiration, mostly very small, unknown artists on soundcloud.

I'd rather be among those guys, in my experience if people have over 2k followers they turn into dickheads i.e. not giving a shit about smaller producers etc
>>
>>60480888
>I'd rather be among those guys, in my experience if people have over 2k followers they turn into dickheads i.e. not giving a shit about smaller producers etc

Now look who's the elitist.
>>
>>60480930
Truth trips though, ever tried asking someone if they want to work on a track when they have more followers than you?

For me the scene is about helping other producers while helping yourself, pushing up new talent etc. Not saying every producer is like this, but most that I've spoken to either give 1 word answers or just don't want to know
>>
>>60480964
I have and they were very inviting. Portfolio is everything. If you have stuff that they enjoy they are willing to work with you, it's all about taste but followers has nothing to do with it. Unless they are actual assholes.
>>
>>60480993
Maybe I'm just not talking to the right guys then haha, but yeah I do keep in mind that taste is subjective etc. I just would like to think if I was in that position I'd at least entertain people who like my stuff so much they'd want to work with me on something
>>
>>60480802
not that guy but i find ableton so much easier, idk how you flfags handle that retarded UI
>>
>>60481061
We manage, most of us don't want to invest learning another software with the minimal benefits.
One of the things I do like that Ableton can do very well is frequency shifting. I haven't found a good way to do that in FL yet.
>>
>>60481061
I might torrent Ableton again just to have another go, but that's odd. For me FL UI is much easier to get around, I spent 10 mins in ableton and gave up lol
>>
>>60481110
I'm sure in FL12 there's a way to do it, thought I'd seen it in a video but I may be wrong. Nothing to do with automations? might need to dl a vst for it
>>
>>60481114
literally how
is the most straight forward shit ever
i cant handle any other DAW, tried cubase once and almost died
>>
>>60481258
I'm not sure but the last time I tried I was high af so that probably answers that. I've tried reason but years ago, getting live 9 now to try
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.