[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people like this album so much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 10
File: original_460.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
original_460.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1000
why do people like this album so much
>>
because it sounds good
>>
>>60470714
but it sounds so "meh"
>>
>>60470760
nah, it sounds good
>>
>>60470583
>>60470714
>>60470760
>>60470859
some is good some is bad some is meh
>>
>>60470859
I mean it's nice and "good" but nowhere near as good as it's hyped up to be.
>>
You haven't really heard this album until you've heard it in MONO!
>>
>>60470871
listen to it louder :^)
>>
Abbey Road is better
>>
>>60470892
abbey road's even worse though
not even as interesting harmonically or studio-doohickery-wise it's just some nice cheesy songs
>>
>>60470583
dadrock
>>
>>60470914
Not interesting harmonically how? Sun King and because are great
>>
Rocky racoon is the best beatles song imho senpai
>>
>>60471114
your opinion is wrong
>>
>>60470892
>>60470914

Abbey Road is a fine example of a band trying to keep their shit together while dealing with internal struggles that would eventually break up a band. Side one is more coherent than side two, but I like how all the incomplete songs on side two segue into one another and mix together nicely. That being said, nothing beats Revolver, though.
>>
>>60470868
/thread
>>
>>60471146
Abbey Road is far and away better than revolver.
>>
>>60471163
Revolver is far and away better than abbey road.
>>
>>60471210
Something > Paperback Writer
Come together > rain
>>
>>60471316
oh my god
>>
>>60471381
I know, revolver is so bad and dated.
>>
>>60471412
literally fuck you
>>
>>60471517
It is though. I love Revolver, but the psychedlia wore off, get over it. Abbey Road is way more contemporary sounding and way better to listen to on acid, trust me, ive gone through their whole catalouge high, and abbey road is the best

sun king > im only sleeping for max psych
>>
>>60471630
because >>>>>>>>>>>> sun king > im only sleeping
>>
>this album from 1967 doesn't reach my standards for electroacoustic recording of playing a violin bow on a sheep's cock for seven minutes, you fucking plebs need a real taste in music

>wow there are a lot of dads in here

>wow this album is pretty overrated wew lad
>>
>>60471642
i love because but seriously? sun king has the guitars drenched in the leslie speaker delay making it really psych sounding and awesome, i like that way more, and also the vocal melodies are just as good as on because
>>
>>60471630
>ive gone through their whole catalouge high
oh fuck off
>>
>>60471695
i have, they're a psych band, why not?
>>
>>60471642
>implying I'm Only Sleeping is not their best song
>>
>>60471695
SMOKE POT
SMOKE POT
EVERYBODY SMOKE POT
>>
>>60471727
DOING THE GARDEN, DIGGING THE WEED
WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE ?
>>
>>60471742
Wait, what? Are we just posting random Beatles lyrics now?
>>
FUN IS THE ONE THING THAT MONEYZ CAN:T BUY
>>
>>60471780
STANDING BY

A PARKING METER
>>
Came in here to say that Abbey Road is one half of a fantastic album.

The entire first half is the worst shit the Beatles ever put to record. That is all.
>>
>>60471878
WHEN I GET TO THE BOTTOM
I GO BACK
TO THE TOP OF THE SLIDE
WHERE I STOP AND I TURN
AND I GO FOR A RIDE
'TILL I GET TO THE BOTTOM AND I SEE YOU AGAAAAAINNN

YEAHYEAHYEAAAAHyeah...
>>
>>60471951
Daily reminder this is the most contrarian and pathetic opinion you could have regarding Abbey road. Side 1 is all 10/10 singles side two minus here comes the sun and because is the melody, 10/10
>>
File: u wot.jpg (42 KB, 341x331) Image search: [Google]
u wot.jpg
42 KB, 341x331
>>60471316
>Revolver

>Paperback Writer
>Rain
>>
>>60472001
These were the promotional singles for the album, like penny lane and strawberry fields were for Sgt pepper...
>>
>>60471146
>revolver, the album with Yellow Submarine
>their best album

pick one
>>
>>60472024
>not liking well-made happy singalongs

fuckkn edgy m9! fuck adults amirite? fuk school smoke pot 420! skulls and killin people and shit fuck yeah bestgore
>>
>>60472048
>fuck yeah bestgore
I keked
>>
>>60471972
>oh no he doesn't like what I like, I'll call him a contrarian so his opinion is worth less than mine!
Get out of here you fucking plebian normie hipster shit.
>>
>>60472076
but you're literally wrong
>>
>>60472095
>literally
nope. Abbey Road is a good suite following a series of failed solo recordings.
>>
>>60471146
You know they planned Abbey Road as their last album? They had already gotten over each other's shit and mutually agreed to put out a final album. That's why it ends with the medley and "The End". Let It Be kinda screwed up that legacy, though. Even though I like Let It Be as well.
>>
Music is the most subjective art form. You like what you like, you don't like what you don't like. It is such an infant move to shit on music and say "Dunno why anyone likes this!" Don't listen to it motherfucker.

When someone critiques music with an educated ear and states their tastes I can respect that. Simpleton fucks who trash what they don't dig (or most likely understand) reeks of bait...you wanted a rise out of someone, mission accomplished prick.

I am not a big fan of EDM, pop country, boy bands, Broadway show tunes...so guess what? Don't really listen to them. Instead Inlisten to what I find musically and sonically appealing. Most real musicians and/or music lovers also investigate prior to dismissal. I will listen to anything once, and I have discovered tons of great music that I love and have moved me by doing so.

Lastly, Sgt. Pepper is put over so much because it deserves to be. Although Revolver is considered the superior album, Pepper inspired so many bands to take chances and use the studio creatively...it still, and always will, influence musicians making music commercially. Some oud player from an isolated village or a satanic death metal act may not be affected by its wake but those who write songs, record them in a studio and hope to have the public hear it are walking in Peppers footsteps.
>>
good songs
>>
>>60470583
it's babbys first exotic album
>>
File: ajngfjalsbg.gif (4 MB, 337x263) Image search: [Google]
ajngfjalsbg.gif
4 MB, 337x263
>>60471114

Fuck yeah it is
>>
>>60472502
>Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
>exotic
>>
She's Leaving Home is the best song on Sgt. Pepper.
>>
File: 09379919did_not_read.gif (4 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
09379919did_not_read.gif
4 MB, 350x300
>>60472346
True
>>
>>60471711
this senpai
>>
>>60470583
Its good because, in general, the beatles wrote every song (less in the later years) having in mind that it could be a single. The shit Harrison indian fetish song pisses me off though
>>
>>60472346
>Although Revolver is considered the superior album
Sgt. Peppers has always been considered the superior album by the majority.
>>
>>60472624
A Day In The Life
>>
>>60475628
Within You, Without You is the best acid trip you could have
>>
>>60472191
Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road, putting The End as the last beatle track recorded
>>
>>60470583
Because it's the pinnacle of the Beatles' discography. It has songwriting on par with A Hard Day's Night but a much broader stylistic palette and more interesting arrangements with a wide variety of instrumentation. It's their only truly great album.
>>
>>60472624
She's Leaving Home is the best Beatles song
>>
>>60472624
>>60475794

le pet sounds XDDDD
>>
Tbh revolver always felt really uninteresting, same with abbey road. Sgt. peppers and white album were always my personal favorites just because they were just generally more diverse sounding. Sure they had some lame songs but the albums in general are more fun than abbey and revolver
>>
i have a lot of respect for the beatles but i really dislike sgt. peppers. the album is filled with songs that have been drilled into my head practically since birth from my family, tv commercials, radios in public, shit like that, and i'm sick of it. it's a cheesy album and i don't know why people like it so much. i'd rather just listen to rubber soul or magical mystery tour or something.
>>
I Want You (She's So Heavy) is the best Beatles song and one of the best songs of the 60's desu.
>>
File: johnselfie67.jpg (109 KB, 599x731) Image search: [Google]
johnselfie67.jpg
109 KB, 599x731
Sgt. Pepper's is indescribably, incomparably, revolutionarily important. If you treat music as a component of industrial/leisure Western society, you can really enrich your relationship with it by researching the world it came from and commented on. With Pepper you're talking about the most famous people on the planet reaching a breaking point, having been stalled an pacified and "tolerated" by their record company on the previous two records. It's the beginning of the end and the end of the beginning of pop music.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (17 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
17 KB, 267x200
>>60471316
This is the best bait I've seen in months.
>>
>>60472191
Actually, they recorded AR last, LIB came out later because of delays during the post production and the whole "wall of sound" thing.

But I agree, kinda of screws up the chronology, The End was a nice goodbye song, great way to end a band.
>>
>>60470882
this
>>
>>60478009
>>60472191
>The End was a nice goodbye song, great way to end a band
>implying

HURR MAHJEHSTYS A PREETY NICE GURL
>>
>>60478127
The End is actually the last song on the album, Her Majesty is a hidden track, doesn't count.

It's like a wink while they're fading away.
>>
How many years has mu been arguing about the Beatles? Have you not figured out that your opinions are never swayed either way?
>>
>>60471630
>I love Revolver, but the psychedlia wore off, get over it.
>some of the most popular current rock bands are psychedelia
Um OK
>>
>>60478207
>The End is actually the last song on the album, Her Majesty is a hidden track, doesn't count.
[citation needed]
>>
Because people like shitty psychedelic circus diddy showtunes ejaculated into their mouth

Once you realise that The Beatles are nothing more than the 1D of their time you start to understand music a lot more.
>>
>>60479866
>The Beatles are nothing more than the 1D of their time
How so?
>>
>>60479866

this is the go-to-opinion for edgy teens who truly don't know shit.
>>
>>60479938
dunno mate
>>
That's not the white album
>>
Sgt. Pepper was the first album I ever owned on CD, over the course of a year I had all the rest of their albums too. I lived off that shit for so long, supplemented with the occasional Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd (bought a box set with all their shit as well), Led Zeppilin, The Who, Rush, basically a bunch of dadrock shit.
after a while I found out about Nirvana, Daft Punk, Gorillaz, and the world opened up a little bit. Then I got on the internet, and for a year or two things opened up even wider. Then finally I came here, and shit got out of control. Meme-rap, avant-garde, lo-fi, grindcore, math rock, noise, power electronics, industrial, shoegaze, jazz and jazz fusion, the list goes on and on and on.
Then, about a month ago, I started listening to The Beatles again, and was surprised at A. how much I enjoyed their early, simple "pop" stuff, how visceral and crazy it could get sometimes, and B. how far they had managed to progress into experimental shit in less than 10 years. Starting with Revolver but not really starting until Magical Mystery Tour or The White Album, they had some legitimately interesting and progressive experimentation and the song-writing to back it up.
Basically, don't write off the Beatles. I know you hate dealing with genuine emotions, but put aside the stupid jokes and the frivolous b8ing and actually listen to music with an open mind. You'll probably agree with me. fuck Scaruffi.
>>
>>60480010
If you don't know, why say it?
>>
>>60479866
at their beginning they were.
>>
>>60479587
It's almost like people discover things at different times or something.
>>
>>60480306
Not really. They were a band that formed themselves, wrote their own songs and played rock music, they weren't a created product. That's not a boy band. The Monkees would be a better comparison to 1D, who were a created product.
>>
>>60480334
>discover
>the beatles
>>
>>60480348
Yes, so?
>>
File: chillin'.jpg (65 KB, 410x337) Image search: [Google]
chillin'.jpg
65 KB, 410x337
>>60480348
I can't explain this shit. 600 million-1 billion records is still less than 20% of the world. What if you live in a insular country?
>>
>>60480344
>Daydream Believer isn't better than all Beatles songs.

You so silly.
>>
>>60480474
Non sequitur
>>
>>60480348
I grew up in a household that didn't encourage pop culture so I didn't know about The Beatles until I was a teenager and some friend (who was in her 30's I think) showed me Strawberry Fields Forever and Hey Jude...and until I was an adult and sought out more, those were the only Beatles songs I knew
>>
imo desu senpai kek
>>
>>60470583
Because it's good.
>>
>>60470868
>>60471149
>muh neutrality is the correct answer
>>
>>60480850
Prove otherwise
>>
>>60480914
There's no point, just clean your fucking ears and listen to the album again.
While I prefer Pet Sounds as the "60's conceptual pop masterpiece", there is no denying the Beatles sound better than most bands of that time and even of today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ly7NYOLGck
>>
>>60481050
>Prove my point for me!
Not how it works
>While I prefer Pet Sounds as the "60's conceptual pop masterpiece", there is no denying the Beatles sound better than most bands of that time and even of today.
Nice backpedaling
>>
>>60481050
Holy shit. This used to be my least favorite song on the album back when I was getting into the beatles when I was 15. Haven't listened to this album since then and since I've gotten into more experimental music (The Beatles really opened the gates to music as a whole for me.) How the fuck did I think When I'm Sixty Four was better than this?
>>
>>60481140
>Not how it works
I mean... it's music, you have to listen to it in order to understand where i'm coming from. I don't want to go into an argument because it wouldn't make any sense, people like you are often pretty autistic to get the emotional resonance their melodies can convey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxYpUlcuQSM

>Nice backpedaling
Just wanted to clarify I'm not a fanboy.
>>
>>60481320
>I mean... it's music, you have to listen to it in order to understand where i'm coming from
If your opinion was valid, that wouldn't be necessary,
>Just wanted to clarify I'm not a fanboy.
Non sequitur
>>
>>60479827
Actually, Her Majesty is actually listed as the last song on early pressings of the album.
>>
>>60471114
That's not even the best on The White Album. Dear Prudence, Happiness is a Warm Gun, and Martha My Dear are far superior
>>
>>60478207
On early pressings of Abbey Road, Her Majesty is listed as a song on the back cover and on the record label.
>>
>>60481392
>If your opinion was valid, that wouldn't be necessary
You seem to not understand music appreciation as a whole. Also, what is a "valid opinion" anyway? Are you 12?

>Non sequitur
It's like you have /pol/ open in another tab right now.

Pretty pathethic desu...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVuZ83XgA9A
>>
>>60470583
pet sounds is miles better.
>>
>>60481474
>You seem to not understand music appreciation as a whole
Explain it.
>"valid opinion" anyway? Are you 12?
What are the logical reasons you believe your opinion? How did you reach this conclusion?

if you are not able to explain it let alone defend your opinion, it really was not valid to begin with.
>Pretty pathethic desu...
It's like you have /b/ open in another tab right now.
>>
>>60481404
Which is why it's not a hidden track.
>>
>>60479827
>>60481404
>>60481581
>>60481456
you could just fucking look up a single thing you fucking idiots

>Original US and UK pressings of Abbey Road do not list "Her Majesty" on the album's cover nor on the record label,[69] making it a hidden track. The song title appears on the inlay card and disc of the 1987 remastered CD reissue, as track 17.[70] It also appears on the sleeve, booklet and disc of the 2009 remastered CD reissue,[71] but not on the cover or record label of the 2012 vinyl reissue.[72]
>>
>>60481620
[citation needed]
>>
>>60481678
Abbey Road (Media notes). Apple Records. 1969. PCS 7088.
>>
>>60481691
No I'm looking for a citation, not the actual album. Try again.
>>
>>60481555
>Explain it
Music it's not about opinions, it's about emotion, sensations and sometimes just about an aesthethic statement.

>if you are not able to explain it let alone defend your opinion, it really was not valid to begin with
It's unnecesary, and you seem to forget how meaningless it would be for me to give you a wall of text stating why I like the album when you'll just try to look for "flaws" in the argument instead of engaging on it.

>It's like you have /b/ open in another tab right now
Don't mimic my responses, kid.
>>
>>60481743
>I don't want to know whether or not it was listed on the sleeve or not
>literally determines whether its a hidden track or not
you're an idiot
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (238 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
238 KB, 1440x900
>>60481743
>>60481782
speaking of which, here you go

image from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ROCK-LP-THE-BEATLES-ABBEY-ROAD-STEREO-1ST-UK-APPLE-NM-NO-HER-MAJESTY-/252176501518
>>
>>60481772
>it's about emotion, sensations and sometimes just about an aesthethic statement.
Are you having trouble explaining your emotions?
>It's unnecesary
Then your opinion is not relevant. Thanks for shitposting.
>meaningless it would be for me to give you a wall of text stating why I like the album
It's obvious you wouldn't be able to anyways.
>Don't mimic my responses, kid.
it wouldn't have been necessary if you had stopped speaking like a 12 year old.
>>
because people are fags. Revolver a best.
>>
>>60480010
>success
>>
>>60470583
It's decent.

Lovely Rita, and A Day In the Life are really good.
Still, Revolver was their best album.
>>
>>60481924
>Are you having trouble explaining your emotions?
Everyone who replies 'no' to that question is probably an idiot.
>Then your opinion is not relevant
Nothing discussed here is relevant, the popular consensus in the music world considers this as one of the greatest albums of all time, it has been that way for decades, and it will continue to be that way. I have particular reasons for linking this album that very few times are mentioned even with the absurdly high praise it gets, but I'll probably take the time to explain that on another ocasion with a more worthy individual.
>It's obvious you wouldn't be able to anyways
Also, should I remind you that you also haven't said anything AT ALL regarding the content of the album itself. It seems to me that comment fits you better than me.
>>
>>60482223
>Everyone who replies 'no' to that question is probably an idiot.
Why are you calling yourself an idiot? Self esteem problems?
>Nothing discussed here is relevant
Thanks for posting, have a nice day.
>Also, should I remind you that you also haven't said anything AT ALL regarding the content of the album itself
Yeah I know. Have you asked me directly?
>>
>>60482271
>Self esteem problems?
what?
>Thanks for posting, have a nice day
"k you don't aggree with my shit logic for reasoning, nothing else to say thank you bye bye"
>Yeah I know. Have you asked me directly?
To be honest I don't care, you started the shitposting here >>60470868 therefore it was your responsability to back up your lazy statement of false objectivity. All I did was point that out, you basically owe me an explanaition to back up your opinion before I give you mine, and if what you have to say is so "valid" to begin with, I don't know why you're avoiding an actual argument.
>>
File: uh_oh.jpg (34 KB, 932x222) Image search: [Google]
uh_oh.jpg
34 KB, 932x222
>>60482438
>"k you don't aggree with my shit logic for reasoning, nothing else to say thank you bye bye"
Well you don't want a musical discussion, so it's been nice talking to you.
>To be honest I don't care, you started the shitposting here >>60470868 therefore
pic related
>>
>>60482514
>Well you don't want a musical discussion, so it's been nice talking to you
Again, the one that should start the discussion here is you, but you didn't, and by the way you're speaking, the whole "valid opinions" and "self esteem" thing is making me feel 99% certain that you're either a contrarian underage or a really dumb person, which is worse, so even if said music discussion was going to take place (something that is blocked by statements of neutrality like the one you're defending), people like you nearly never bring anything interesting or new to the table, so why bother?
>>
>>60482785
>Again, the one that should start the discussion here is you
I wasn't that anon. It's not my responsibility. You should be asking him, no?

If ad hominems is all you can muster, then have a good day. Maybe someday you'll be able to discuss music.
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.