[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hip hop community in general >Kendrick and J Cole are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: J.-Cole-Kendrick-Lamar.png (598 KB, 689x354) Image search: [Google]
J.-Cole-Kendrick-Lamar.png
598 KB, 689x354
>hip hop community in general
>Kendrick and J Cole are about equal

>/mu/
>Kendrick is a tier above J. Cole.

Why?
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 609x609) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 609x609
both are fucking trash

thugger is the best rapper of this generation
>>
>>60467349
J. Cole is better
Most people dont get him, tbf I don't want to sound like a cunt but you need to be in a higher level to understand him
>>
>>60467349
hip hop community says Kendrick is a tier above j cole

/mu/ says they're both meme trash
>>
J Cole has nothing special about him he's very average and he's been talking about the same shit since 2009
GKMC and TPAB are better than any Cole project and S.80 is on par with any of his early mixtapes aswell
>>
>>60467457
you sound like a retard, not a cunt
>>
>hip hop community
>ghetto niggers with no musical culture, only relate to lyrics

>/mu/
>teenage white fuccbois, think they have musical culture because they follow p4k, care more about the overall sound & productions
>>
>>60467502
t. triggered
>>
File: myoo.jpg (345 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
myoo.jpg
345 KB, 720x540
>>60467502
You're seriously fucking retarded if you think hip hop is restricted to ghetto niggers in 2015
>>
>>60467470
It's also quite obvious that most people here are 18 and under so I don't give two fucks what this board consensus is.
>>
>>60467457
It's crazy because the average Cole fan really does think he's some really deep intellectual "real rap" guy when he's about as middle of the road as it gets.
>>60467389
It's crazy because the average Young Thug fan really does think he's some amazing unique talent when he's just doing things that have been done earlier, he's just under the guise of a slightly quirkier persona.
>>
>>60467625
I'd say he's a step above middle of the road and a step or two below really great

he's a 6.5
>>
J. Cole must get props for being a great producer too.
>>
>>60467625
>It's crazy because the average Young Thug fan really does think he's some amazing unique talent when he's just doing things that have been done earlier, he's just under the guise of a slightly quirkier persona.
(not true, by the way)
cole and kendrick are way more derivative of the past than thugger
>>
>>60467729
this is true, but it doesn't mean he isn't still trash
>>
>>60467625
the illusion that j cole is some deep intellectual stems from his background and how hes college educated and graduated magna cum laude
>>
>>60467729
Being unique doesn't make you good automatically.
>>
>>60467798
yeah but apparently >>60467625 thinks that it does
>>
I've actually learned to love J. Coles production

Still think his rapping is unremarkable however
>>
>>60467625
the way thugger plays with cadence and melodic improv especially is nothing like what anyone in, trap music at least, if not hip-hop in general, has really done before. he's not some jazz-rap hybrid either so it's especially strange. wayne, kanye and drake may have inched things in that direction but they were nowhere near as esoteric or ballsy in that deparment as thug is right now.
>>
Young Thug is the David Bowie of Rap.
>>
Probably because kendrick really is better.
>>
>>60468333
They're both shit, Kendrick just has more hype.
And in HH, hype = skill for whatever reason.
>>
>>60467565
Heya fuxk mu its fuck its a dream I cant stand fuck ing curt Kobain pushing ihs fckiung ark Work on eveyone whta afgtog
>>
>>60468449
I don't understand how you can call kendrick shit. He isn't the greatest, but I mean he's at least decent. J cole in my opinion is on a lower tier.

Could you recommend me some god-tier rappers?
>>
>>60468260
nah he's the Frank Zappa of rap
Kanye is Bowie
>>
>>60468610
I'm not even into HH that much anymore.
But Kendrick has made two good albums.
His hype and considered "Greatness" is grossly disproportionate to this fact.

But I'll always fall back on El-P because being able to do your entire album by yourself is respectable.
Also C4C blows anything Kendrick has made completely the fuck out. Even the opening track at that.
>>
>>60468714
Cmon man. El-P's lyrics are nothing compared to Kendrick. Especially when he tells a story while sticking with a melody.

Give credit where credit is due. El-P is a legend on production, but Kendrick has his pros just like any other artist. Also TPAB is at least a 9/10 so that'd be why he's buzzing
>>
>>60469645
>El-P's lyrics are nothing compared to Kendrick.
>I've never listened to El-P
Kendrick's rapping on TPAB was his worst too.
>>
>>60469686
Nah, I found his experimental aesthetic to really suit his dynamic flow. There is never a dull moment in them. He changes it up at just the perfect times and does his thing, and it comes across as a record with a very flourished personality and sound.
>>
>>60469763
>experimental aesthetic
You mean Thundercat?
>suit his dynamic flow.
There was nothing dynamic about it though.
He sounded awkward over Thundercats production which outshined him. And when he was rapping, it was subpar circle rapping about nothing.
And him trying to be some Richard Prior/James Brown hybrid was also embarrassing.

His Relapse-tier accents were awful.
And who could forget such gems as
>PUSSY LIPS AND TITTY JUICE KEPT ME OBNOXIOUS
>WHEN SHIT HIT THE FAN IS YOU STILL A FAN?

Atleast when El-P throws out a shitty/stupid line he atleast isn't being serious.

tldr Kendrick is immune to criticism because of his hype.
>>
I never got into J. Cole, his mixtapes just didn't appeal to me as Kendrick's did and his albums too have been low-tier i honestly don't see much in him, no wonder Jay-Z too forever yo let him release his album
>>
>>60469913

Lyrics aside EL-P's mic game is vastly overrated.

Even more than Kendrick lyrics.
>>
>>60469913
>Atleast when El-P throws out a shitty/stupid line he atleast isn't being serious.
that's only because he raps like a daggy middle aged father
>>
>>60470403
Not really, El-P is a pretty underrated artist as a whole.
As for lyrics, he has a lot more range than Kendrick.
>>60470428
>What Is RTJ
>>
>>60470446

>as a whole

Nope, sorry.

Killer Mike is a powerhouse on the mic.

EL-P just isn't. He isn't shocking. He's just kind of..there.. It is what it is.

He is a BRILLIANT producer and his lyrics are above par, but his mic game simply isn't. So there is no "as a whole" here, because he is lacking in one part. You are a stan too if you can't see it.
>>
>>60470521
>a powerhouse
Mike has some great lines, but suffers from redundancy and circle-rapping if you pay attention. RAP Music and RTJ2 are good examples. And he just has a good rapper voice, but really is not that much different from everyone else.
El-P isn't a front and center rapper anyway.

You don't have to have "the rapper voice" to be a good rapper.
Lyrics and execution > voice
>>
>>60470585

I like how you're subtly trying to bring it back to lyrics because you can't make a good case for EL's mic game. You are as bad as the Kendrick stans that you're trying to go after.

I say again: it is what it is. Any lyrical concern aside he is a rapper who is average at rapping.

try2cope
>>
>>60470521
bruh do u even company flow
>>
>>60470668
>subtly
I'm not trying to be subtle. I'm literally trying to make a point about why he has the things that qualifies as a good rapper. But you're just "not uhing" without any actual points yourself.
I literally don't understand how you think El-P is just average. Or do you really jerk off over any deep-voiced/gruff sounding rapper?
>>
>>60470585

This is bait but your so far up Jaime Meline's Ass you could probably be on the credits for his next song.

Tell me, how does it feel to not be able to see from an objective point of view?
>>
>>60467457
You don't sound like a cunt. You sound incredibly pretentious, and if you really think that, you are.
>>
>>60470755
I love how whenever I defend him on /mu/ I get called a dickrider. But anyone defending anyone else is just a fan. And then occasionally when I call them out I get slapped with being called a racist for whatever reason.

No ones tried to refute my points about Kendrick and so far all I've gotten for El-P are an assumed not liking his voice.

And no he isn't perfect whatsoever.
I'll Sleep is pretty spotty and RTJ2 was pretty meh.
>>
>>60470723

>I literally don't understand how you think El-P is just average.

Don't worry all stans fall into denial mode when they can't cope.

But I don't want you to implode so I will take it back to help you through this. El-P is an absolutely amazing rapper and you are not at all a stan only Kendrick fans are.

Rest easy now, the world is right again.
>>
>>60470844
>I have no actual argument so I'll just keep name-calling and site-step with patronizing to undermine you
ok
>>
>>60470881

>>I have no actual argument

I literally said his lyrics were above par and I called him a brilliant producer in all caps, yet me not being on board with one other aspect of his music has you all fucked up over it.

You can't even see how much of a stan you're being right now, can you?
>>
>>60470974
Just trying to understand why is all.
>>
THey're both good but everyone on /mu/ is afraid to actually say they like them in the fear or being called a "normie" or ">>>/hhh/"
>>
J Cole is overrated (I hate using that term) by the general hip hop community. Wherever you rank Kendrick, J Cole is definitely a tier lower.
>>
>>60471560
>everyone on /mu/ is afraid to actually say they like them

You haven't been here long, have you? People love Kendrick here. There is also a large group that doesn't like him nearly as much.
>>
Kendrick is like five tiers up from Cole, I don't even like his music and I know that.
>>
ive never heard a j cole track that was worth listening to again
>>
You know I do think J Cole is a very talented artist, but he really is fairly boring to me. Kendrick is much more interesting, both in art direction and storytelling.
>>
both are overrated as hell in general, j cole is just properly rated on /mu/

>>60471560
>>> r e d d i t_d o t_c o m_s l a s h_r_s l a s h_h i p_h o p_h e a d s
>>
>>60472932
What I meant to add is that really I haven't heard a J Cole song that really made an impression on me, or even recognized as a J Cole song where as K. Dot has made some of the most memorable hip hop songs and albums in recent years.
>>
>>60472943
this guy said it better than i did
>>
>>60472943
Let Nas Down is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLF39513uwM
>>
>>60472943

>What I meant to add is that really I haven't heard a J Cole song that really made an impression on me

The end of 'Fire Squad' is up there.

But I kind of agree.
>>
>>60468215
Recommend me some essential Thug
>>
>>60473284
Barter 6 and 50% of Slime Season 1
>>
>>60473284

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rdKiyrgJwI

That anon you replied to is right.
Thug is on another level when it comes to flow.
>>
>>60470755
how does it feel to have no feelins?
>>
They're not even in the same category. I don't know why people suck J. Cole's dick so hard. He's only good at apeing CD era Kanye production. His bars are basic.
>>
>>60473284
stand out tracks

blanguage
free gucci
half time
with that
see you
givenchy
flava
keep it going
check
spaghetti factory
freaky
hey i
i mean
drinking lean is amazing
get that money
power
bang bang
beat it
pass me the lighter
you the one
im sorry mama
best friend
2 cups stuffed
picachu
im fo real
yeah yeah
>>
>/mu/ recommends K. Dot to me
>totally blown away by him
>now they're shitting on him
Maybe I'm easily impressed, what are some albums that are better than TPAB and GKMC?
>>
J. Cole's music always seemed kind of preachy and generally bland.

Kendrick's music on the other hand is really personal and allows you to really look at life through his perspective. Musically speaking, Kendrick goes far beyond hip hop than J.Cole has ever has.

To quote Robert Christgau's review of J. Cole's 2014 Forest Hill Drive: "Full of the kind of good intentions the road to irrelevance is paved with"
>>
>>60475030
There's nothing wrong with Kendrick's music. He's this generation's leading figure and we have no right to complain with the great music he's dropped.
>>
File: Like really....jpg (87 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Like really....jpg
87 KB, 540x540
>>60475047
>Full of the kind of good intentions the road to irrelevance is paved with
>>
J Cole is a really weird phenomenon in hip-hop right now.

In the general hip-hop community he's seen as one of the greatest out, right at the top alongside Kendrick with no nearby competitors, similar to Messi and Ronaldo.

But on /mu/ and a couple other Internet forums, he's seen as fucking awful.

He's overrated by the general hip-hop community, and overhated by /mu/.

In my opinion, J Cole is a decent rapper and makes decent music. He's not this incredible hip-hop master, nor is he fucking awful. His mixtapes were decent, his first 2 albums were pretty bland snoozefests, but FHD was fucking great in my opinion. I really don't get the hate it receives. No Role Modelz is one of my favourite rap songs of 2014.
>>
>>60467457
this is bait
>>
>>60477285
J Cole is the most generic fucking mediocre rapper.
"I let you feel like you the shit but you can't outfart me"
"I came fast like 911 in white neighborhoods"
"It hit me like a ton of bricks, no renovation"
Truly terrible
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.