[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I have to be ugly and depressed to like Elliot Smith?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1
File: fucking idiot.jpg (118 KB, 624x420) Image search: [Google]
fucking idiot.jpg
118 KB, 624x420
Do I have to be ugly and depressed to like Elliot Smith?
>>
I'm ugly and depressed but that doesn't make me like Elliott Smith more
>>
Call me nutz, but I don't feel Either/or to be depressed or sad at all.
>>
im average looking and existential

im ambivalent to elliot smith
>>
i'm really handsome and i love elliott smith
>>
>>60467141
Read the lyrics.

Elliott Smith's music didn't necessarily sound depressed. He was depressed and made music. His music is depressing if you pay attention to what he's saying but he's not an emotional powerhouse. That's part of what makes him loved.
>>
>>60467166
>i'm really handsome
prove it
>>
It can't hurt.
>>
I think you need to be a woman too.

I've tired to like him many times but his voice is just too shit to ignore.
>>
>>60467044
I'm not saying you have to be but I'm ugly and depressed and I like him, I worship Sufjan, I like Nick Drake, and I like Lifted - Bright Eyes but none of their other albums.

Take what you will from that.
>>
>>60467214
>prove it
i've had sex quite a lot with attractive girls

vagina in penis irl 365

this is my favorite smith song btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGYEF4MNq4
>>
>>60467044
I'm ugly and depressed, so I'd say yes.
>>
>>60467157
Are you perpetuating some obscure meme or did you really just describe yourself as existential in earnest
>>
>>60467141
it's honestly in the lyrics
his self titled has a colder sound
>>
i'm not ugly, but i'm autistic as fuck and can't get laid. am I allowed to like elliot smith?
>>
>>60467044
hes not ugly

but hes shit
>>
>>60467252
>but his voice is just too shit to ignore.
this. he overdubs his voice on every song yet it still manages to sound paper thin. i'm sorry but i just can't get behind a singer-songwriter who can't sing to save his life.
>>
>>60468058
his voice isn't conventionally good, but it has a distinct quality that lends that character of reserve to record
>>
>>60467386
sure you had mate
>>
tfw listening to between the bars while drinking excessively to disassociate yourself from your loneliness and failures
>>
I'm jolie laide as fuck and depressed

I haven't listened to his stuff enough, which LP should I try?
>>
he's my favorite artist 2bh family.
inb4 shit taste
>>
>>60468347

good taste t b q h
favorite album? track?
>>
>>60467044
I'm only slightly depressed and attractive and I like him
>>
ITT: Anons self-assess their attractiveness & mental health
>>
who here thinks Elliott Smith is his best album

why is either/or regarded so highly
>>
>>60469027
I started with s/t in hopes that I wouldn't burn myself out on his best album (Either/Or), but now all I want is more stuff in the vein of s/t

Oh well
>>
I dunno, I'm carefree and upbeat half the time, and crushingly depressed and productive the other half
I'm charismatically ugly - when I was a kid people toiled me I resembled Bob Dylan, but now I think I really resemble Serge Gainsbourg
anyway, XO and Either/Or are two of my favorite albums ever
>>
its impossible to actually know whether or not you're attractive
>>
>>60469307
that's bullshit and you know it
>>
>>60469366
no? i know so many good looking people who genuinely consider themselves ugly and vice versa
>>
>>60468634
Elliott smith white lady or southern belle
>>
Does anyone have some Elliott Smith bootlegs? Ive heard his Beatles covers are pretty good
>>
>>60467303
This is me.
>>
>>60469381
they just denying it to seem humble senpai
>>
>>60471062
just look them up on youtube, i'd say they're not worth the download
>>
>>60468338
Any of his first 3 albums. Any of them.
>>
>>60467044
>being good-looking and depressed is somehow better
u wot m8
>>
>>60471251
well it's not worse
>>
>>60468338
>jolie laide
Woah, this actually has a name?!
>>
>>60467473
nobody knows.....
>>
>>60472302
ikr
>>
>>60467044
Nah, just depressed and into indie-type rock
>>
>>60468338
>jolie laide
i finally found my new fetish
>>
>>60467141
you're absolutely nutz, m8!
>>
No, he's just great
>>
>>60467386
>this is my favorite smith song btw
You know what this is about right?
>>
>>60468199
>tfw listening to between the bars while drinking excessively to disassociate yourself from your loneliness and failures

I know this feeling all too well, I have a bottle of wine and a coffee cup on my desk right now.

>>60469027
XO is better than Either/Or, but I like Basement best.

>>60471062
There are tons of live sets you can watch on youtube.
>>
>>60467473
existentialism is a legitimate mode of personal philosophy that has been hijacked by 15 year old depressed high school students who confuse it with nihilism (and even then a face value interpretation of nihilism) and so it's a philosophy that has gone hand in hand with the fedora down that steady decline rabbit hole of solely being associated with people who try to hard to be individualistic and cool and edgy.
on it's own, existentialism is sturdy personal philosophy
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.