[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can Music Have a Nihilistic Aesthetic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_mqcc4jySeu1r6vrl1o5_1280.jpg (151 KB, 944x921) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqcc4jySeu1r6vrl1o5_1280.jpg
151 KB, 944x921
Can Nihilism paradoxically be an aesthetic in music? I've come across, what appears to be, concepts presented in music that appear to lack emotion. Perhaps an artist wishes to convey a concept, without any sort of emotional attachment to hinder it it's meaning?

Am I applying a concept that is incompatible with the nature of aesthetics? Can a piece of art be nihilistic in it's nature?

For example, I find that Autechre's work from 2001 to 2005** were filled with "Nihilistic" undertones. Songs like Xylin Room (Posted below), and Parhelic Triangle, from my own experience, have always been incredibly though-provoking and conceptual; and yet I feel that these works are void of specific emotional qualities.

Here is an example from Autechre's album Draft 7.30 from 2003:

Xylin Room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prCNa4H9pAA

The first half of the above track strikes me as thought-provoking, without any sort of emotional attributes applied.

Any thoughts on this?

**Those albums being Confield (2001), Draft 7.30 (2003), and Untilted (2005)
>>
have you even heard of noise
>>
https://youtu.be/dXYSvbZbiY8
>>
lacking emotion =/= of nihilistic intent
that being said the answer to your question is yes
>>
>>60466882
fuck off you fucking twat

no one cares about your shitty cynicism
>>
>>60466868
>>
>>60466914

Thank you for your answer.

Would you be willing to share your perspective in more detail so that I might understand you better?
>>
>Can a piece of art be nihilistic in it's nature?
uhhh... why not?
>>
>>60466868

Can you expand on this (what I perceive to be a) claim and be more specific please?
>>
Do you mean the artists themselves are so nihilistic that they don't even try to express anything in their music because they feel that music is pointless?
>>
>>60467171

"Artists" (If they can logically keep that title by this standard, I'm not too sure) who make a piece of "art" with no regards to the realm of emotion whatsoever.

Manufacturing a concept that is understood without the aid/interference of emotion.

I suppose my question is, is the product still considered art despite its lack of emotional qualit(y/ies)?
>>
>>60467276
Since when has art required emotion? It's kind of retarded to try to force an emotional interpretation of everything.
>>
OP types like a fag desu
>>
>>60467328
I had previously been under the impression that for something to be constituted as "art", it involve emotion on level.

Perhaps this simply isn't the case.

Interesting, are you defining "everything" within the confines of just "art"?

Also, feel free to elaborate on your claim. Can you enlighten me past a concept being "kind of retarded"?
>>
>>60466986
Noise music is based almost entirely around the exploration of texture rather than being evocative of anything human
>>
>>60467724

Very interesting. Can you provide me examples of tracks that you find thought-provoking in their texture?
>>
>>60467761
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2s6Lg9--4

I think the most enjoyable part is trying to understand where the man ends and the machine begins. He has some control over the sound, and included his own voice, distorted beyond all recognition, but also allows part of it to create itself from the hardware.
>>
>>60467839

Will give a listen, thank you!

Already I am intrigued.
>>
>>60467886
The only problem is that it pushes the definition of what you can call "music"
>>
>>60467916

Interesting, where do you think the line is drawn?

I find my own definition to be quite broad:

Music is simply attributing meaning to sound.

For example, a man could scratch his head three times. If there was an intent to make a piece of music, then this sequence of sounds was a piece of music.
>>
>>60468012
The definition of music doesn't really help in this regard, so I think I'll agree with you. I'd say it has to be intended as music, and the sounds have to be deliberately sequenced in some way.
>>
>>60468050

Really enjoying this track, going to give the album a try. Thanks for the rec
>>
Harsh noise wall is nihilism in music form. With vomir being a prominent figurehead of nihilism as sound. For example this track https://youtu.be/R3pHxQc2YkU titled No dynamics no change no development no ideas is a very nihilistic song.
>>
>>60468386
No problem anon

It's not exclusively a noise album though
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.