[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Experimental music that maintains a melodic content? pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13
Experimental music that maintains a melodic content?
pic related
>>
>>60460929
>Experimental music
>just rips off Warp records
>>
>>60460967
I don't think you know what experimental means
>>
File: Fennesz_Endless_Summer.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Fennesz_Endless_Summer.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
>>60460929
not true but good thread
>>
U2 and Brian Eno - Original Soundtracks 1
>>
Every OPN album
>>
File: katie 2.jpg (387 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
katie 2.jpg
387 KB, 1600x1200
>>60460929
>kid a
>experimental

lol....
>>
>>60461080
Why not?
>>
>>60460967
Ive never heard anyone say this before, where did you get that? as in the record label?
>>
>>60461086
how is it? it's a pop rock album with electronic elements, nothing unconventional about it whatsoever
>>
>>60461086
Not that guy but its on the more approachable side of the scale for sure, although i would class it as experimental desu
>>
File: hype williams.jpg (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hype williams.jpg
80 KB, 600x600
>>
>>60461109
>how is it?
It was created using the experimental process.
>nothing unconventional about it whatsoever
Not relevant.
>>60461124
Not relevant.
>>
>>60461139
My comment was definitely relevant you nonce
>>
File: cat.jpg (127 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
127 KB, 720x960
>>60461139
lmao it's this guy again
>>
>>60461139
>the experimental process.

lolwut
>>
>>60461162
How so?
>>60461181
It's unwise to try to discuss what you don't know.
>>
File: katie 4.jpg (310 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
katie 4.jpg
310 KB, 1600x1200
>>60461181
don't encourage him, the shit he says is intentionally vague and brief so you keep responding and asking questions he won't give straight answers to. he's a troll.
>>
>>60461109
you are trolling or you have no idea what you are talking about
>>
>>60461139
>all music is experimental
-you
>>
File: gdfdvfs.jpg (112 KB, 743x695) Image search: [Google]
gdfdvfs.jpg
112 KB, 743x695
>>60461233
it's one of the cheesiest albums i've ever heard regardless.
>>
>>60461249
Kid A is pretty cheesy desu
I still sorta like it
>>
>>60461105
>Ive never heard anyone say this before, where did you get that?
Lurk more.
>as in the record label?
Yes.

Also, not him.
>>
>>60461242
Quote me where I said that
>>60461215
I've explained it fully. It's really not my fault you don't know what experimental music is.
>>
>>60461109
It was experimental for its time. Of course now it's pretty standard stuff.
>>
File: katie 15.jpg (56 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
katie 15.jpg
56 KB, 720x960
>>60461327
>It was experimental for its time
lol LOL
radiohead fans have no idea
>>
>>60461105
They've clearly stated that Aphex was a big influence on Kid A and of ditching electric guitars a lot.

Lurk more.
>>
>>60461325
Not relevant
>>
>>60461366
Which part?
>>
>>60461325
all music uses the experimental process numbnuts. if it didn't then literally every song would be exactly the same.
>>
>>60461327
Lol even U2 went electronic before Radiohead did
>>
>>60461105
aphex twin and boc have been huge influences
>>
File: itt subalbums.jpg (293 KB, 1051x634) Image search: [Google]
itt subalbums.jpg
293 KB, 1051x634
>>60460929
lets post more experimental music like radiohead

also, i would like to add melody am by royksopp

very experimental music, and melodic in its content

its even called melody am, not pm

pic completely unrelated
>>
>>60461383
>all music uses the experimental process numbnuts
Not really. When you play a G chord, for instance, you are aware of the results when you combine the 1, 3 and 5th. When you add a 7th, you know what it will sound like. When you create a chord sequence, you know what it will sound like. Don't you play an instrument?
>>
File: 1446904503201.jpg (61 KB, 564x440) Image search: [Google]
1446904503201.jpg
61 KB, 564x440
This thread it's getting interesting
>>
>>60461325
I still don't know wtf "the experimental process" is suppose to mean. If you're going by the "experimental music=music where the outcome is unforeseeable", that would probably only apply to the lyrics and maybe Treefingers, to the best of my knowledge.

>>60461404
Are you a robot?
>>
>>60461388
>U2
>went electronic
lol dude wat
>>
>>60461408
Yes I play an instrument. 15 years learning piano.

Any song that is vaguely different from everything else has experimented in some way.

You're a troll but I'm feeding you anyway because i personally think it's hilarious. Simbiotic relationship in a way.
>>
Kid A is experimental. The process in which it was created involved the band experimenting with instruments and production techniques they had never used before. They also experimented with unconventional time signatures.

Sure, compared to a lot of stuff it's easier to digest, but compared to what Radiohead was known for at the time, as well the majority of mainstream output around that period, it's kind of out there.

It's also just a great record with a lot of atmosphere, in my opinion desu.
>>
>>60461448
>Are you a robot?
i am a post-robot

i am very experimental in the very nature of my being
>>
>>60461448
*"experimental music=music where the outcome is unforeseeable" definition
>>
>>60461448
>If you're going by the "experimental music=music where the outcome is unforeseeable",
Well then why'd you just state you didn't know what it means?
>that would probably only apply to the lyrics and maybe Treefinger
Or like singing through an egg carton? or Instructing a horn section to play like traffic?
>>60461471
Oh! Then you already know what I mean!
>Any song that is vaguely different from everything else has experimented in some way.
Wait, are you sure you play an instrument?
>You're a troll
Feel free to look it up. You'll see this is common knowledge.
>>
>>60461362
>>60461080
KT stfu

Regardless of subjective quality, "Kid A" and "Everything in Its Right Place" are experimental, they stray quite a bit from the normal elements of 90s electronica
>>
>>60461503
Oh, ok. Neat.
>>
File: cover_1525419102008.jpg (17 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover_1525419102008.jpg
17 KB, 500x500
>>
File: 1446729826427.jpg (97 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
1446729826427.jpg
97 KB, 960x768
>>60461109
the national anthem is pop rock with electronic? not to mention idioteque AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
>>
File: e.png (62 KB, 132x167) Image search: [Google]
e.png
62 KB, 132x167
>>60461530
>ripping off amber
>stray quite a bit from normal elements of 90s electronica
>>
>>60461524
>Well then why'd you just state you didn't know what it means?
Because very few things on Kid A are experimental going by that definition.
>Or like singing through an egg carton? or Instructing a horn section to play like traffic?
Drawing lyrics from a hat and manipulating guitar playing into an ambient track lead to unforeseeable outcomes. Voice manipulation and a free jazz section aren't.
>>
>>60461109
Name a single song on the album that can really be considered pop rock. MAYBE "How to Disappear Completely" or "Optimistic" as they're more conventional than the others.
>>
>>60461363
Oooh ok, i get that, i was thinking more recent Warp stuff, my bad
>>
>>60461631
>Because very few things on Kid A are experimental going by that definition.
Oh do you not know how the album was made?
>Drawing lyrics from a hat and manipulating guitar playing into an ambient track lead to unforeseeable outcomes
There you go, it's experimental.
>Voice manipulation
Can be experimental if you don't know the outcome.
>free jazz section
Instructed to play to create an unforeseen outcome.
>>
I mean, I can see why Kid A is experimental rock. It's not experimental next to something like TMR (and I know that TMR isn't even THAT experimental). It has all the electronic ambient and atmospheric elements below that make a more hypnotic vibe than more standard rock has to offer, not to mention all the usage of electronics, brass instruments, unusual recording techniques, etc.
Sidetone: "How to Disappear Completely" is a dissonant and gorgeous masterpiece.
>>
Kid A is an experimental album that is still "musical", having something to listen to, avoiding boring free noise and stuff like that.
>>
>>60461718
>"How to Disappear Completely" is a dissonant and gorgeous masterpiece
You are absolutely correct. It is such a beautiful song.
>>
>>60461498
>>60461524

So, you're ssaying "experimental" is subjective. If the person is not certain of the result of the action, it's called experimenting? Sure that makes sense. If the person did not know what a G chord was and played one by accident, that's experimental music. Sure. Except when we're all clearly talking about objective experimentation. Kid A brought nothing new to the table, it's not experimental.
>>
>>60461398
Autechre, not boc. They've never been mentioned.
>>
>>60461775
>So, you're ssaying "experimental" is subjective
No, it's not. It has to do with the intent of the artist, following the experimental process which we've already outlined.
>If the person did not know what a G chord was and played one by accident, that's experimental music
I suppose. But you'll be hard-pressed to find legitimate artists who don't know how to play a G chord.
>Except when we're all clearly talking about objective experimentation
[citation needed]
>Kid A brought nothing new to the table, it's not experimental.
Why didn't it? Show me 30 albums that sound exactly like it.
>>
>>60461713
>Oh do you not know how the album was made?
No, but interviews exist.
>Can be experimental if you don't know the outcome.
>Instructed to play to create an unforeseen outcome.
We'll just have to agree to disagree because both of those seem like fairly obvious experiments in sound.

Btw, which track has the egg carton-voice?
>>
>>60461873
>Btw, which track has the egg carton-voice?
Interviews exist.
>>
>>60461829
>No, it's not. It has to do with the intent of the artist
literally contradicting yourself. your perception of the intent is infinitely subjective.
>Show me 30 albums that sound exactly like it.
you're still concerned with subjective experimentation, which isn't significant at all. In regards to the sonic ideas, structures, and timbres of Kid A, Aphex Twin, Autechre, and Brian Eno had probably covered everything you hear on Kid A.
>>
Can't Kid A be considered experimental in that it sounds like Warp music, but with vocals??
>>
>>60461718
This has already become a copypasta:
>>60461674
>>
>>60461938
>literally contradicting yourself
How so?
>you're still concerned with subjective experimentation which isn't significant at all.
In music? Of course it is.
>>60461938
>In regards to the sonic ideas, structures, and timbres of Kid A, Aphex Twin, Autechre, and Brian Eno
None of those have the instrumental prowess and songwriting structures, as well as Thom's falsetto. Try again?
>>
>>60461775
Name another album that has:

A minimalist electronica song -> followed by an electronica song with krautrock drumming and vocoded vocals -> followed by a jazz fusion song built on loops -> followed by a ballad ->followed by an ambient track -> followed by a hard rock song -> followed by a psychedelic rock song -> followed by an IDM song -> followed by more krautrock electronica -> followed by a 50's Disney inspired organ ballad

Yeah, the album's sound is inspired by all sorts of genres and artist, but the way they combined these influences to make something pretty unique and enjoyable is impressive. They experimented and attempted to combine all sorts of genres to create an original sound, and I think it worked very well.
>>
>music that uses non-traditional production methods that result in a sound that goes largely beyond the traditional boundaries of music
first part yes, second part no
>>
>>60461993
>How so?
I literally explained it for you.
>subjective experimentation is significant
Then the person who's never heard of a G chord but plays one on accident should be considered and experimental musical genius who will go down in history? Stop kidding yourself.
>Try again?
the only thing I didn't specifically cover was his falsetto, but he didn't invent falsetto singing so that's not a big deal. Instrumental prowess and songwriting structures are certainly covered in the artists I mentioned and many, many more.

I don't intend on researching for you, but you need to broaden your perspective of greatness. Radiohead's music will only be remembered for its commercial success and ignorant fanbase that couldn't be bothered to listen to the experimental music that laid the foundation for albums like Kid A.
>>
>>60462032
>it worked very well
sure it sounds nice. nothing new or all that interesting in my opinion, but pleasant.

thanks for proving my point though, it's completely derivative.
>>
>>60462093
Show me a traditional song that sounds like Idioteque.
>>60462151
>I literally explained it for you.
You didn't', you made a blanket statement. Care to elaborate?
>Then the person who's never heard of a G chord but plays one on accident should be considered and experimental musical genius who will go down in history?
He's not intentionally doing an experiment, so no.
>the only thing I didn't specifically cover was his falsetto
You forgot to cover the rock instrumentation and pop song structures.
>structures are certainly covered in the artists I mentioned and many, many more
State then, and then chart them out.
>I don't intend on researching for you, but you need to broaden your perspective of greatness
Quote me where I stated Radiohead was great.
>>
>>60462181
>thanks for proving my point though
But your point wasn't that they were innovative because they were able to successfully combine a very drastic set of influences into a new cohesive whole.

Also
>what I feel about this...
Not relevant.
>>
>>60461901
:^)
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.