[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the music equivalent of Paul Thomas Anderson? >inb4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
Who is the music equivalent of Paul Thomas Anderson?
>inb4 Radiohead
>>
>>60454201
Animal Collective
>>
>>60454209
nope
>>
>>60454209
Dumb ass answer.

Some mainstream derivative stuff with avant pretentions. Radiohead.
>>
Van Dyke Parks
>>
The National
>>
>>60454262
>Implying There Will be Blood isn't a masterpiece
>>
>>60454290
It's good. Point is though, you watch Altman, Kubrick, some other new hollywood guys and you got PTA pretty much covered. It's nothing new.
>>
>>60454262
>>60454316
Yuck. Nothing worse than pretentious turds shitting on sincere stuff because it doesn't fill their faux-patrish quota
>>
>>60454331
Oh no :( Insecurity, you're bleeding !
>>
>>60454339
I don't even like most PTA films but I know naval-gazing, aesthete criticism when I see it
>>
>>60454361
Why are you so soft ? PTA is second rate, just calm down.
>>
>>60454361
Radiohead.
>>
>>60454372
who's first rate? who are 10 directors that are better than pta? who are the new hollywood directors?
>>
>>60455208
do you think PTA is one of the 10 greatest filmmakers of all time you IMDB retard?
>>
>>60455331
nah i don't and never said i did. you wanna answer the questions or just be a little bitch?
>>
>>60455399
Malick
Herzog
Altman
Audiard
Coens
Dardennes
NoƩ
Korine
Cronenberg
Lynch
>>
>>60454316
Kubrick was the biggest hack in the industry.
>>
>>60455456
>noe
>lynch
>dardennes
>cronenberg
>FUCKING KORINE
please either stay on reddit or kill yourself
>>
>>60455456
Malick does not deserve a spot there. He's pretty much trash outside of Badlands
>>
>>60455456
>Korine
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>60455456
No way are the Coen's better. Korine is fucking laughable
>>
>>60455456
>Korine
holy shit i almost fell for this bait
>>
>>60455456
>malick
>coens

>somehow above paul thomas anderson
>>
>>60455456
5/10
>>
>>60455456
yo your taste is pretty standard mang idk why you feel the need to shit on things that are pretty much on par.

>>60455478
fuck off u dumb

>>60455488
>>60455504
>>60455515
>>60455519
fuck all ya'll korine is great
>>
>>60455493
>he's pretty much shit outside his most conventional, basic film
This is you. You are a pleb.
>>
>>60455456
>malick
>noe
>korine
justjerkinit.gif
>>
>>60455536
He's a decent writer, Kids is great. Mr Lonely is probably the only decent thing he's directed
>>
>>60455536
Those aren't all my favourite filmmakers. I don't even like Cronenberg or the Dardennes all that much, for example. I just recognise them as highly accomplished filmmakers, far superior to meme man PTA
>>
>>60455573
korine and noe are among the hackiest of hacks anon
>>
Joanna Newsom

Not really doing anything anything new but synthesizing influences in a compelling way with immaculate craftsmanship
>>
>>60455562
same old exploitation-y, white trash schtick every fucking time though. only decent thing about him are his soundtracks n chloe sevigny's obligatory nude scenes
>>
>>60455573
The fact that you listed Korine automatically invalidates your opinion
>>
>>60455592
But PTA doesn't have an annoying fucking voice
>>
>>60455573
>meme man
>legitimate criticisms
dae le i drink le milkshakes
>>
Korine operates on a level of pure cinematic inspiration that PTA can only hope to achieve with his hackneyed tributes to whatever director he likes the most at the time.

Originality and authenticity pour forth from every piece of art that Korine has ever touched. PTA makes middlebrow trash disguised as genuine art. Christopher Nolan level.

TWBB is one of the most contrived pieces of art I've ever seen
>>
>>60455633
Contrived isn't a criticism and doesn't actually mean anything in the context of film making
>>
Jon Brion
>>
>>60455633
>confusing cinematography with directing
> doing shit others decided was too stupid to try means original!
> bacon in the tub
>what does it mean
>using "contrived"
>obviously only seen twbb
>>
>>60455562
i honestly don't think hes made anything bad, i love it all. people look for different things when it comes to film that makes them enjoy it. Korine hits a lot of sweet spots for me, but especially with stuff like Julien Donkey Boy. Being a schizophrenic i just can't sit through that movie because it's so powerful and real for me, and there hasn't been much in terms of movies out there that capture that as well as he did.

>>60455573
yeah but you sound like a douche when you shit all over someone who's pretty good in the sphere of film when you tout shit that's pretty much on the same level.

>>60455594
yeah except it's not the same white trash shtick every time. yeah gummo was about white trash people but mr. lonely wasn't, kids was urban and wasn't really about white trash, julien donkey boy was about a schizophrenic, trash humpers was just a clusterfuck and spring breakers is about college girls. even then youre only looking at it at the plot level so get some better criticims.
>>
>>60455650
every time someone says that i just think of that part from the itchy and scratchy and poochie show in the writers room
>>
>>60455633
Korine is among the biggest hacks in the industry. Attempts to be edgy but comes off as a middle schooler with add. The dialogue in his films are awful and the story telling straight trash
>>
>>60455741
one of the best parts of the simpsons series
>>
>>60455761
he's gonna be operating on a totally radical paradigm
>>
File: 1438335418266.jpg (72 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1438335418266.jpg
72 KB, 305x196
>>60455456
>>
>>60455741
Wait are you arguing for or against. And yeah classic episode
>>
>>60455756
Korine's ear for dialogue is undeniably fantastic. Most people thought Clarke just let the camera run it was so naturalistic, but almost every second of the film was scripted.
>>
kanye obv

>was the new kid on the block early on, made some potential classics (Magnolia, Boogie Nights/College Dropout, Late Registration)
>lost that early wonderkid swagger, but still not bad. Decent, even. (PDL/808s, Graduation)
>both both disappear for a while and come back with their obvious attempt at a masterpiece (TWBB/MBDTF)
>both pieces of work are inauthentic, contrived pieces of shit but get showered with praise by critics because they're both pre packaged 'masterpieces'
>follow up their 'masterpiece' with something that was supposed to be more challenging and complex (The Master/Yeezus)
>these works generally split audiences. The Master is quite good. Yeezus is tepid trash.
>their most recent work is considered underwhelming across the board, people are wondering why they wasted their time with such projects (Inherent Vice/SWISH)
SWISH isn't out yet but it's gonna be shit. Everything else is 100% true
>>
>>60455928
There Will be Blood is his favourite film so...
>>
>>60455939
Kanyes pretty pleb when it comes to film. He also said Pacific Rim is one of the best films he's ever seen.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.