[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you record without a computer? Is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: tascam464.jpg (171 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
tascam464.jpg
171 KB, 600x400
How do you record without a computer? Is it worth it?
>>
bump wanna know also
>>
Use two cans and a string
>>
>>60405767
it'd be great if you didn't have to forge the tape yourself. Other than the painstaking tedious labour of manufacturing the tape, recording analog is very cheap and sounds great
>>
>>60405767
your pic related. they even have digital audio recorders or ones that save to cd or sd cards. do you not alreadt have a computer? if not its cheaper but not as easy to work with someting like a 4 track. but it depends what youre going for. if you want a lot of layers and high fi sound it wont work for you.
>>
>>60405767
this is actually a really convenient machine. you can use it for more than just cassettes. you can use it like a mixer for your analog set up and what not
>>
>>60406476
The fuck are you talking about

>>60405767
Without a computer you probably use an all-in-one cassette tape multi-track like the one you posted. Is it worth it? Depends what you mean. I record using both a computer and a Tascam 424, depending on what I'm recording. They're suited to different types of music.

If you want your recordings to sound pristine, or want to record a lot of layers, or want to use a ton of effects, or need to do a lot of takes to get things right, I really wouldn't recommend using one of these. If you can tolerate a bit of hiss and smudginess, it's great. A lot of fun to use, surprisingly intuitive once you get the hang of it.
>>
>>60405767
I record demos on a really good quality Olympus microcassette recorder

I'll record a track to tape, record another track to another tape, and then bounce them to a third tape and repeat

I'm getting a reel to reel soon, too

I also have a korg digital multitasking from the early 2000s somewhere and I remember it being confusing to use but overall really good but I haven't used it in ages

I'd love to get a Tascam multitrack cassette recorder though
>>
>>60406843
If you have a reel-to-reel and a decent mixing board and pre-amps it would be kinda pointless to get a Tascam imo
>>
>who am I quoting
>>
Not worth it, get an audio interface and record/mix on your pc then bounce it to tape if you want a tape sound. That way you have a clean and dirty version.
>>
>>60406936
who are you quoting?
>>
>>60405767
i've just been searching ebay and craigslist the last few days for one of those 4 or 8 track tape recorders. i've been practicing recording directly from the line in to audacity to practice the limited recording editing. can't wait to try out every kind of vocals using actual pitch control with no artifacts. i know bruce springsteen, mac demarco, oliviva tremor control, and ween are a few of the artists who have made whole albums on them
>>
Just record into your computer. It's 50X easier and cheaper.

A lot of younger kids these days want to use 4 tracks and the like for the authenticity or
rawness or whatever, but back in the day they were just used for convenience plain and simple. USB mic -> DAW is the modern day 4 track, and going out of your way to get analog stuff just comes across as corny to me. Loses a lot of it's 'charm' when you know its some indie kid with a macbook trying to use a 4 track because of fuckn Ariel Pink
>>
>>60405767
for my mathematical approach to making and shitting out my music, computers are a must

>inb4 audacity
>>
File: IMG_0351_conv.png (3 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0351_conv.png
3 MB, 1500x1000
I've got a cassette 4-track; aside from using it for getting down demos/quick ideas and using it as a mixer, it doesn't get much use. Occasionally I'll run some stuff through it to get it sounding less sterile or really fucked up if I mess with the pitch control

>>60406954
IMO that's the way to go. Nothing beats the control of recording and mixing with a DAW, even if everything else you use is all hardware. Having only 4-tracks is very limiting, and if you're using sequencers you can't overdub unless you sacrifice one of the tracks for a sync signal.
>>
>>60409630
>USB mic
just fuck my shit up senpai

get a proper XLR mic and an interface with an ADC that isn't absolute garbage like what you'd find slapped into a USB mic as a last-minute afterthought by the manufacturer.
>>
Get a cheap ass tape deck (with VU meters for that vintage bling), make sure it has record function and some RCA line-ins or a 1/4" jack, get a ten pack of tapes, record whatever you want into the deck to the cassette.

Get it all on eBay, can be had for ~$100-200 all up for a good deck.
>>
>>60409719
sick set up
>>
>>60405767
best ones are the 424mkii (4tracks)
and the 488mkii (8 tracks)

the 488mkii has more tracks (obv) but the 424 bandwidth and headroom is a lot better you.
>>
>>60405767

I've used a Roland VS-2480 24-track digital workstation. It has a CD-burner records to internal and external hard drives, but contains it's own proprietary DAW so you can create an entire album, master it and burn it using only the machine.

It was more or less easy to use, but it's definitely not as easy as a computer. Upside is, it's a portable all in one DAW/mixer/effects unit and you can record a whole band with tracks to spare, on location. My dad had the 8-track version, then the 16-track version and then the 24-track in his studio, and he used them constantly for years and produced several albums on them.

I'd say they're one of the better non-analog non-computer recording device experiences you can get. Is it worth it? Well the portability and single-mindedness of it is useful and a very different experience. No web browsing to distract in the background, just music. And really, the 8-track version (roland VS-880) is super portable, I'd recommend it.
>>
>>60405767
make drone music with 4 track cassette recorder

Heres some cool shit
Tascam 404 Tape Loops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eDLlPQLocw

DIY cassete based delay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIktm83S6aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RKFDHxDTms
>>
>>60409719
very cozy
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.