[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Rock Dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: JIM%20MORRISON[1].jpg (32 KB, 608x342) Image search: [Google]
JIM%20MORRISON[1].jpg
32 KB, 608x342
Is Rock Dead?
>>
According to google trends: it's actually the only musical genre to even come close to match rap in popularity, even though it's seen a bit of a decline in the last 5 years. So no, it just ain't leading the way any more.
>>
>>60385762
>[whitey whining intensifies]
>>
i don't know and i don't care
>>
Fuckkk the doors are overrated
>>
Are we alive?
>>
There's such a broad spectrum of what could be considered "rock" it will never fully die.
>>
>>60385861
No they're not
>>
the doors
more like uh
the closed doors
>>
>>60385861
ur overrated
>>
>>60385815
>poorfag whining intensifies
>>
yes, get with the times grandpa
>>
>>60385815
>normalfag posting on 4chan on Saturday night
>>
no
>>
>>60385762
rock was never alive.it was just white people stealing black music and watering down the shit out of it.
>>
>implying a music genre can die
>>
>>60387670
You mean made it much, much better.
>>
>>60387734
Nah. Reread what he wrote.
>>
>great rock albums still coming out
>dead
>>
>>60385861
They are not overrated, it's just that morrison died so young that the doors didn't have enough time to become shit.
>>
No because there's like a million other subgenres of rock that are still active, in and out of the mainstream
>>
>>60387761
I'm sure he misspoke.
>>
>>60387843
He didn't, as a matter of fact.
>>
File: BEYONCE-Stop-GIF.gif (612 KB, 495x295) Image search: [Google]
BEYONCE-Stop-GIF.gif
612 KB, 495x295
>>60387843
>>60387775
>unironically listening to rock
>>
/mu/'s favorite band the Death Grips are a rock band. Their fans can classify them as experimental,/industrial noise/hip hop all they want, but boiled down, the Grapes embody the grimy, raw, primal, angsty attitude that rock has been traditionally known for.

Whether you think this is a good or bad thing is up to you.
>>
>>60387921
Death Grips aren't a band, they're a conceptual art piece anchored by vision and sound.
>>
>>60387860
Prove it.
>>
>>60387932
>they're a conceptual art piece anchored by vision and sound.

heh.
>>
>>60387963
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,135845,00.html
>>
File: BrBa-noooo.jpg (125 KB, 546x371) Image search: [Google]
BrBa-noooo.jpg
125 KB, 546x371
>>60385762
yes. and it has been for about 20 years.
>>
>>60385762
What's the best modern rock band that still has the traditional roots of rock and roll music?
>inb4 Queens Of The Stone Age
I want something I've never heard of.
>>
>>60388015
Not much. Most rock nowadays is more influenced by 70s metal and 90s punk/grunge. Andrew W.K.'s last album actually had a lot of early rock elements to it, but still.
>>
>>60388001
None of that is relevant.
>>
>>60388036
>Andrew W.K.
Eh, I tried his music. It feels to much like music you can listen to once then never again. To party like for me. It just felt too gimmicky to me personally.
>>
>>60388038
>Prove it then
>Posts an article proving it
>None of that is relevant.
Thanks for the yous though.
>>
>>60388053
Try listening to one of his albums that isn't I Get Wet.
>>
>>60388069
That's a fair point. I only listened to a couple. What would you recommend? I just want something that's like the stones or zeppelin but obviously not them. Heard it all before. Great stuff, but I want something new.
>>
>>60388067
That article proves that he meant to say what he said?
>>
>>60388083
Pretty much any other one. His only pure party album is I Get Wet, but then again he only has 3 to date...
>>
>>60388085
Yeah.
>>
>>60388107
That article only says that getting a white performer to perform black music would make it more accessible, not that when white people made their own rock music it was not as good or "watered down".
>>
>>60388137
>I wonder why it would be more considered more accessible though... hmmm
Anyways rock music has been so commercialized that it's dying. This applies to all genres but milking music is causing it to die.
>>
>>60388169
>milking music is causing it to die
It makes me happy when artists are offered multi million dollar deals to tour and advertise and they turn it down. It makes me feel proud that money isn't their only motivation. They take pride in what they do.
>>
>>60388169
>I wonder why it would be more considered more accessible though... hmmm
Maybe it's because most people didn't like blacks.
>>
File: 1447444358893.jpg (20 KB, 256x350) Image search: [Google]
1447444358893.jpg
20 KB, 256x350
>>60388192
>It makes me happy when artists are offered multi million dollar deals to tour and advertise and they turn it down. It makes me feel proud that money isn't their only motivation. They take pride in what they do.
>>
>>60388214
Nice response. It contributed a lot to the conversation.
>>
>>60388192
Man, if I were a musician I'd tour to death the first few years of my career. Because you never know what album might be your last, and when the public might turn on you. I'd go out and see the world, and share the music I love with thousands of people for as long as I could.
>>
>>60388203
I was being rhetorical but at least you got the point. Thanks for pointing it out for people that might not understand though.
>>
>>60388242
Oh, I don't necessarily mean touring to keep your band alive and to pump out amazing music. That's of course incredible, and will create a loyal fan base, and hopefully leave your mark in the music world for decades to come.

I'm more so talking about when musicians sell out to let their music be played in advertising for multi-billion dollar conglomerates. Or when a big band like Led Zep gets offered 200 million to reunite and tour again and it gets turned down.

I think it shows a lot of grace to retire when you think you've done enough and you decide to leave on a high note (no pun intended).
>>
>>60388249
No, you were being retarded.

Don't do that anymore.
>>
>>60388312
:okayhandsign:
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.