[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the best music critic? Yes or no? Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 1136x640
Is he the best music critic? Yes or no? Why?
>>
Yeah, because i think he describes music really well. I couldn't care less about what he thinks about an album, but b the end of the video I can tell whether or not it'll be an album i'll like just by how he describes the sound of it.
>>
THAT NIGGA GAVE US CAL CHUCHESTA
YOU SAY HE KILLED THOSE KIDS?
>>
nah, Christgau is the best, Fantano is better than most though
>>
there is no such thing as a good critic. make up your own opinions.
>>
>>60384721
/thread
>>
>>60384539
he has no credibility but atleast he knows how to present himself and really thats all you need for youtube $$.
>>
>>60384539
>caring about music critics

why don't you trust yourself?
>>
damn anthony... fuck..

>I actually use "this is just my opinion" to deflect unnecessary hate. you're free to critique my reviews, thoughts, opinions all you like. Nobody is stopping you from doing that, and the fact you're disagreeing with an opinion doesn't invalidate your arguments or make them unnecessary.

>Next point is totally untrue. Obviously my reviews talk about the sound of the music in question or else how would I have gotten to this point? Don't be blatantly stupid.

>If my emo reviews are adlibs, it's because the genre is completely free of any exciting or notable advancements or evolution lately. As an avid emo and pop punk listener, you should know that. There's really not much to say about many modern emo and pop punk acts, sorry.

>You must have mixed my latest TWIABP review up with another, because I didn't spend that long talking about the history of emo.

>I want to let my guests speak, but good point on Ott. He's a talker, and was tough to reign in. But my guests are all smarter than me? Who are you to comment so authoritatively about my intelligence? Fuck off.

>You're gonna heap on a bunch of shit questioning my intellectual ability, but then capitalize some BS social science theory? And I never said "media can affect anyone in any way ever," but the proposition that media is "toxic," "dangerous," or poisoning society in any way--especially when it comes to issues such as sexism--is stupid and 100% unproven. You might as well be arguing satanic metal records increase the murder rate or suicide. Fuck off, dickhead
>>
if he didnt rate albums then yeah
>>
>>60384702
Christgau is fucking trash.

>King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
>The plus is because Peter Townshend likes it. This can also be said of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Beware the forthcoming hype--this is ersatz shit. D+

Wow, such great criticism.
>>
>>60384881
cheesy ass album
>>
>>60384881
Basing your opinion of a music critic who had been working for 46 years on a single review. That makes sense
>>
*48 years
>>
>>60384823
>>60384721
Why do people always come up with this argument? I like reading other people's opinions because sometimes they point out things that I missed, sometimes they know some backstory or context about the record, and it also helps me think about what I like in something
I think that if you don't consider other's opinions, how can you consider yours?
It's not about copying opinions, it's about viewing stuff from other points...

That being said I don't like Fantano because he only reviews stuff he knows will give him views, so obviously he doesn't care about the music
>>
File: tumblr_m7sbnxKuBH1qd6180o1_500.jpg (35 KB, 452x601) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7sbnxKuBH1qd6180o1_500.jpg
35 KB, 452x601
>>60384881
And that being said:

Scaruffi. Definitely him. Can you name a critic who blew the Beatles, rock royalty, the fuck out in 3 paragraphs?
>>
>>60384987
>I think that if you don't consider other's opinions, how can you consider yours?

lmao did you seriously just say this holy shit rip my respect for you
>>
>>60384567
This. he has a knack for articulation that's really insightful and encompassing, regardless of whether you agree with his opinion or not.
>>
File: 1442617469515.gif (426 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
1442617469515.gif
426 KB, 500x255
>>60385021
no please
>>
>>60385021
You're an idiot.
>>
>>60385005
Scaruffi is the worst.
>>
File: 1418615122419.png (132 KB, 700x518) Image search: [Google]
1418615122419.png
132 KB, 700x518
>yeah, he does know what it is. the concept isn't that hard to wrap your head around. a high school history student could grasp it. the issue is classic liberalism does need to be looked up because when you use the term "liberal" people assume you're talking about the a modern connotation associated with leftist politics. hence, i suggested looking the term up. don't be dense.

what did he mean by this?
>>
I've figured he is always 2 off my rating, wether is up or down. ie, I havent heard grimes album but there would be no way it isn't an strong 5 or a 9
>>
File: tommotherfuckinghanks.jpg (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tommotherfuckinghanks.jpg
92 KB, 400x400
>>60384987

>I think that if you don't consider other's opinions, how can you consider yours?

the reason they're opinions in the first place is that they're yours and yours only. a lot of people read reviews just to influence their own thoughts on the album. however, if you just read reviews to find out more information on the album, that's cool.
>>
someone who supports gamergate can't be good at anything
>>
File: cucumber.jpg (91 KB, 525x600) Image search: [Google]
cucumber.jpg
91 KB, 525x600
>>60384539
>2015
>Music Critics being relevant

There was a time when it might have been possibly useful to have a music critic warn you off of some album that you otherwise would have been screwed out of $15 to listen to.

That time was the 70s, 80s, and part of the 90s.

Now, there is literally no benefit to negative criticism.

Q: Who is better off for Christgau or Fantano pooping on a record?
A: Nobody. Literally zero people.

The only benefit that music critics can provide is to make people aware of music they _DO_ like that folks wouldn't have otherwise heard of.

/mu/ fave dadrockers Sonic Youth were prescient when they wrote the following lyric:

"I don't know why
you wann' impress Christgau
ahh let that shit die
and find out the new goal"
>>
>>60384987
Not them but I don't need to hear what anyone thinks about what I know I like.

When I watch a Fantano video, he'll describe the type of music they make and if it's what I'm into in I'll stop the video and go listen to it myself and not return to the video.I'll listen to him talk about albums I have interest in hearing just to get an idea of what people are listening to since >he only reviews stuff he knows will give him views.
>>
>>60385202
>I'll listen to him talk about albums I have NO interest in hearing
>>
>>60385155
someone who white knights and preps bulls shouldn't post their shit opinions
>>
Hey, remember when he interviewed that one guy?
>>
>>60385021
dumb avant-trip
>>
>>60385233
Found one!

Git em boys!
>>
>>60385116
>a lot of people read reviews just to influence their own thoughts on the album
Oh so you're insecure about your opinions so you avoid other's? Are you afraid of being influenced by the evil empire of other people's ideas?
You like music, you shouldn't be so afraid of feeling confronted... read an opinion article, like I said, it helps you understand why you like what you like
Someone points out, I don't know, a sample at a specific moment that you didn't notice
You go back and listen to it again
What's wrong with this?
>>60385202
Again, the fear of being confronted by different opinions
Jesus people, you don't need to lock yourself in your world of "oh those are my opinions please don't hurt them"
And it's funny because this is so common around here, you see people disregarding different views just because of that: "No, no, I can't be wrong, this music I like IS good, this guy who says it's bad must be a moron"
Relax, dude, seeing different points of view helps building yours
>>
Feel free to make fun of my armchair psychoanalysis by the way
>>
>>60385300
>Oh so you're insecure about your opinions so you avoid other's? Are you afraid of being influenced by the evil empire of other people's ideas?
>You like music, you shouldn't be so afraid of feeling confronted... read an opinion article, like I said, it helps you understand why you like what you like

i don't need to read an opinion article to know why i like what i like, it's my personal opinion. i don't listen to other's opinions because they don't matter to my personal beliefs about music.

also, i don't understand the point of reading a review to find out more info about the album in 2015, can't you just google/rym/discogs/etc.?
>>
>>60385005
The Beatles pasta is full of flaws
>>
Gonna be honest, I only check up on fantwon to hear about music I might otherwise not hear about.
>>
>>60384539
good critic, sometimes funny. Irritating leftist politics
>>
>>60385439
>antony
>leftist
>>
File: 15357444576.png (114 KB, 213x252) Image search: [Google]
15357444576.png
114 KB, 213x252
>>60385439
when does he ever talk about politics on the needledrop? if he didnt keep them separate i would see the issue
>>
>>60385300
>Again, the fear of being confronted by different opinions
Holy shit you are an idiot. It is not difficult to download or stream an album at all so why do I need someone else to listen to music for me? I can discuss things I've heard with people I actually see in person. There is no way I would be able to have a discussion with the dude since there are so many people as it is trying to get his attention. And if hearing other people's opinions scares me so much then why the fuck do I discuss music on here with people who are very likely to be rude? I'm sorry no one reads your reviews or worships the melon as much as you.
>>
I can't tolerate watching him for long because I feel like he doesn't really understand what art is at a basic level. He approaches everything from this totally artificial vantage point and I have trouble believing anything has really ever affected him intellectually or emotionally. He seems like a pretty typical consequence of his culture.
>>
>>60385358
>also, i don't understand the point of reading a review to find out more info about the album in 2015, can't you just google/rym/discogs/etc.?
Eh, I mean, I'm considering 'review' here any piece of... insight on the music... it doesn't have to be a "This is good/bad" type of review
>>60385484
It doesn't have to be a dialogue, I imagine that only by exposing yourself to another view might give you a fresh view
But yeah, if you like to discuss it then you're doing it right, I guess
I don't like the melon, I said that already
Dude just wants the youtube fame
Also people like my reviews
You should try writing some sometime
>>
>>60385521
holy shit
>>
>reviewing something as subjective as music

I've never understood why people value this fags opinion so much. Like, his 'reviews' just consist of him spouting adjective after adjective after adjective after adjective in each and every fucking video. Think for yourself for once ffs.
>>
Criticism is an artform in itself. It's the critic's personal response to a work, and the best criticism is written from an uncompromising subjectivity, just like the best art. This is why people like Christgau, for instance. He has a unique style that is totally his own and (seemingly) authentic to his personality.

Ultimately, criticism should be read out of curiosity to see how a fellow human being related to the work in question.

Sure, many times a critic can enlighten you, making you see a work from a different perspective, or better articulate what you've been feeling. But if you read criticism to "make your taste" or justify your taste, you're doing it wrong.

A 60 year old critic like Scaruffi is not going to relate to something the same way as a 19 year old (most of the time). Obviously, a 60 year old is going to have a very different set of life experiences that will no doubt inform his criticism.

Reading criticism is useful, entertaining, and at times, enlightening, but the only "critical authority" should be yourself.

Side note: I can't think of anything more silly than the reduction of an artwork to a number rating. Or "best of the year, decade, century" lists. But I understand this is done for accessibility and even advertising reasons.
>>
File: bieber-flag.png (11 KB, 418x418) Image search: [Google]
bieber-flag.png
11 KB, 418x418
>>60385358
>also, i don't understand the point of reading a review to find out more info about the album in 2015, can't you just google/rym/discogs/etc.?
This. A thousand times this. A million billion times this. Anon, you get +1 Internets.

Basically, these days music critics are for people who are too stupid to find a way to actually hear the music directly.
>>
>>60385576
legitimate question: i see the adjective vomit criticism a lot of him. how do you describe things without adjectives?
>>
File: BrBa-vader.jpg (41 KB, 520x350) Image search: [Google]
BrBa-vader.jpg
41 KB, 520x350
>>60385584
>I can't think of anything more silly than the reduction of an artwork to a number rating.
>Christgau, who does A B+ B asterisk or little bomb symbol
How is an alpha rating any less silly than a numeric rating?
>>
>>60385642
Stop
>>
>>60385584
That's pretty much what I'm trying to say here
And yeah, rating is stupid
I do it for fun and cataloging purposes only
>>60385598
It's pretty hard and I can't explain or do it because I'm not good at writing
But from what I remember from high school, adjectives can be interpreted in many ways, while explaining what or how something is can be more objective
I can't think of any example so this is a meaningless reply sorry
>>
>>60385598
It's not that you can describe things without adjectives, is that by themselves they don't mean much. You can say things like "it sounds so raw" but... what raw? Noise music raw? Early thrash metal raw? Leadbelly recordings raw? It's so much easier to say "the guitars sound distant and the bass thin, with very little production added on top". Fantano just says things like "angry" "sad" "raw" "big" most of the time. And when he does say things like "it sounds like madonna" he doesn't just use it to describe the sound, he immediately ascribes that sentence a value that you're supposed to magically cue into.
>>
>>60385642
>How is an alpha rating any less silly than a numeric rating?

It's tongue-in-cheek.

That said, using them doesn't make a review bad, but they should be ignored for the text in question.
>>
File: Helovesus.jpg (19 KB, 465x169) Image search: [Google]
Helovesus.jpg
19 KB, 465x169
>>60384539
Share the love, family.
>>
>>60385824
Well that explains why the melon is more meme than man nowadays.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.