[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Explain what are negatives to this record.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 10
File: To-Pimp-a-Butterfly.jpg (134 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
To-Pimp-a-Butterfly.jpg
134 KB, 640x640
ITT: Explain what are negatives to this record.
>>
>inb4 memes
>>
>>60379039
Name a few.
>>
These Walls and Momma
>>
>>60379064
How are they negatives to this record
>>
>>60379051
>muh poetry
>muh tupac
>muh jazz
>implying anyone who likes it isn't licking pitchforks sweaty sjw taint
>biggest kek soundtrack of the past 30 years
>>
>>60379175
Good memes
Also based Hiro with these based filters
>>
Depends on what you personally consider negative.
>>
>>60379208
>2015
>personal opinions

nice meme
>>
Not one black person I know listens to it. Its rap (excuse me , """""hip-hop""""") for white psuedo-intellectuals
>>
The Tupac interview at the end reeks of pretentious self-importance
>>
>>60379291
this desu. the people who listen to it are white people who want to seem "in" with black culture
>>
No one listens to this album now.

People listened to King Kunta for a while, when it was flavour of the week.

None of the other songs are worth the listen, especially those that have those shitty mono/dialogues shoe-horned in about how black people got it so damn bad.
>>
>>60379414
I still listen to it
>>
It's a bit long, a track or two feel a bit inconsequential, and some production choices don't really work out perfectly. Besides that it's a really really great album.
>>
>>60379437

Incorrect.
>>
>>60378955
it's not good music
>>
>>60379449
Good meme
I still listen to it
>>
>>60379414
I still listen to it all the time.
>>
>everything is a meme! Xd
>>
I heard so many great things about this album i decided to save it for the end of the year and go out on a high. Then the true ratings ( that weren't hype ) started coming in so i decided to listen to it early. I was very underwhelmed. 7/10

it's obviously good but jazz-hop has been done better by artists like Flying Lotus and Meshell Ndegeocello.
>>
>I'm as black as the heart of a fucking Aryan.
>>
what albums have done super energetic jazz in hiphop before?

i mentioned to someone that what kendrick was doing wasn't exactly new, and he asked me to name some artists and albums, but i was actually at a loss.
>>
>>60378955
>Kendrick's poor delivery
>Flat instrumentation that goes nowhere
>Themes that appeal only to white-guilt milquetoasts conveyed through imbecilic lyrics
>>
>>60378955
That poem at the end of the songs tends to kill replay value after the first few play throughs. It also has some really weird lyrics when they're taken out of context (but then again, a lot of hip-hop albums do). Momma and Hood Politics are just boring, although Momma is a lot more comfy than Hood Politics.
That interview at the end of the album was just really unnecessary, it felt to me as if it was just plastered onto the end to convey some grand scheme that Kendrick has for hip-hop (makes me wonder if Kendrick has a messiah complex). Not to mention the absolutely confusing message of the extended poem.
Overall, however, it is a fun hip-hop album with catchy production and a more-or-less decent way of conveying Kendrick's story that he wrote out. It can be seen as preachy and pretentious to some if taken in the wrong way (such as only focusing on lines out of context) or it can be annoying if you dislike Kendrick's voice or hip-hop in general.
>>
>>60379549
I believe flylo produced a track on this album.
>>
>>60379663
Also
>Contains the most pretentious thing committed to tape in the last decade or so, with Kendrick inserting himself into a ten minute long interview with Tupac, which provides absolutely no novel insight to anything whatsoever.
>>
>>60379358
white middle class college kid here to confirm this is a fact

black people listen to drake because they generally aren't neets
>>
>>60379663
delivery is literally the only thing he does right, wtf are you talking about
>>
everyone's critiques in here are absolutely false
you're trying to come up with whatever BS you can to try and dismiss it
>>
I really dig this album and I don't give a fuck that no black people listen to it. I also think I'm straight and considered normal by the public.
>>
>>60379663
>white guilt
oxymoron

this nonexistent
>>
File: 1447179595267.jpg (37 KB, 500x399) Image search: [Google]
1447179595267.jpg
37 KB, 500x399
>>60379587
>>
>le black people don't listen to this album

Do any of you have proof for this statement?
>>
>>60378955
Honestly my main issue with this is that it wasn't "what I expected". Kendrick changed his sound drastically (Overly dedicated, section 80., good kid, arguably all similar in sound and vibe). His earlier work has great lyrics, great beats, and gkmc had absolute perfect hooks. There's not a single song on gkmc that I don't fucking love, they're all easy to listen to, while also shining a light at compton and teen life.

Honestly the 10/10's are just people too afraid to admit that they don't enjoy the jazzy beats and beatswitches (they're good, but more like 6/10 - and ruin a lot of good songs on the album). His older work was just as deep, but were also easy to listen to, tpab just isn't that type of record, but people are afraid to admit it.
>>
>>60379698
i loved this record but i think that was pushing it. really do anything cool and it was dragged out for far too long.

my perfect version would probably take out that goofy shit, and then switch mortal man and i because that track would end the album way better
>>
>>60378955

never been a big fan of the jazzy style
>>
>>60379448
Finally someone who actually has a decent and agreeable opinion rather than all the bullshit coming from other people here
>>
>>60380190
>This person is right because they don't agree with my delusional opinion that much
God, TPAB fans are insufferable
>>
>>60380296
Most people criticizing the record pick small minutiae or really vague or arbitrary critiques in order to try and distance themselves from the mob.

And I mean it sucks that it has that crowd around the album but it's the same with The Beatles or Radiohead.
>>
>>60379074
These walla is groovy and chill as fuck
>>
>>60379414
every morning i get excited to hear that album over and over again what are you talking about
>>
>>60378955
Kendrick shitted on Flylo production and only took one song
>trying to take never catch me
>LEL
>>
"kill whitey"
>>
It makes white people uncomfortable so they shit on it
>>
i actually really enjoy this album, and was listening to it on repeat before i knew what p4k and fandango rated it

it's just so detailed
normally i get bored with a lot of hip hop because the music doesn't often reflect the complexity of the wordplay
but on this album, there are so many interesting instruments and sounds and beats and ahhh it's just so wild and cool to me!

and it's true that jazz rap has been a thing for a long time, but groups like ATCQ were often heavily sample-based, and so the structures of the songs were repetitive
i feel like kendrick isn't really forcing the jazz into this rigid hip-hop format, he's kinda making the rap work with whatever music he chooses, which i enjoy. it's like an instrument which he's using across different genres

every time i listen to this album, i catch something else, and that's a quality i really look for in my music.

plus, it's very dynamic, which is another thing i look for. you have moments of feverish intensity (u, blacker the berry) next to moments of calm (momma, you aint gotta lie), and everything in between. it really lends a cinematic feeling to everything

i could keep going but i realize this probably isnt gonna change any minds
>>
>>60383491
hey it was a good post that i enjoyed homie
you explained yourself well
i already enjoyed the album, but still
>>
Barring a few tracks, it just sounds like really generic r&b rap I hear whenever I flip to some BET drama.

I guess that's what he was going for, but it's just musically not very interesting.
>>
Free jazz samples are really awkward and don't combine well with the funk elements, also Kendrick's voice is really abrasive
>>
>>60380020
Here you go family

http://watchloud.com/kendrick-lamar-performs-to-half-empty-arena-after-fans-leave-following-future-performance/
>>
>>60385340
you listened to the wrong album
or you're a dumbfuck who has no idea what he's talking about
>>
>>60385383
damn, lol
not surprising
>>
>>60379309
why do you think tupac was so much more important than kendrick?

also holy FUCK These Walls is song of the year
>>
>>60379549
>jazz-hop has been done better by artists like Flying Lotus
You're Dead! is so much worse lol
FlyLo used to be good when he made IDM
>>
>>60379175
This album was all over /mu/ before Pitchfork reviewed it. Also the general consensus from the people on /mu/ that like(d) this album, is that it is better than Good Kid which Pitchfork thinks is the superior album
>>
>>60380027

>It is literally impossible for someone to like this give this album enough to give a perfect subjective score because of my opinion

This fucking board.
>>
File: 12088166.jpg (14 KB, 499x368) Image search: [Google]
12088166.jpg
14 KB, 499x368
>>60379932
Some low quality bait m8
>>
>>60386628
Nah it's true.
It's an oxymoron.
Thanks for the you though.
>>
File: 1393663261635.jpg (20 KB, 456x537) Image search: [Google]
1393663261635.jpg
20 KB, 456x537
This song wasn't on the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcRYeT0Y_I
>>
>>60379291
>>60379358

Philadelphia native, plenty of blacks and puerto Ricans I know love kendrick and this album

Stop applying your own sheltered experiences to everyone :^)
>>
>>60386645
why do you say that
>>
>>60385369
>free jazz
you're a fucking idiot
>>
"I’m talkin’ days we got school watchin’ movie screens
And spike your self esteem
The new James Bond gon’ be black as me
Black as brown, hazelnut, cinnamon, black tea
And it’s all beautiful to me"

He's literally #blacklivesmatter the rapper
>>
>>60379448
This.

It's annoying as fuck how triggered /mu/ is by this album. It's far from the most extreme black nationalist album, is actually really critical of black culture, and just generally well made, though it has its problems. Mortal Man is a shitty track in my opinion, I hated the Tupac segment.
>>
>>60386680
Because it's an oxymoron.
White "guilt" is never felt and it's simply used as a boogeyman by other white people.
>>
>>60386715
he didn't even say that, that was rapsody
>>
>>60386716
A hardcore black nationalist album could be amazing. The problem with TPAB isn't what it's about, it's HOW it's about. The lyrics are cringey, overt, brow-beating twitter generation faux-deep reddit armchair philosophy tripe.
>>
>>60386750
not him, but examples? I don't see a lot of trying to be deep here.
>>
>>60386759
The spoken word throughout almost every track, the literal 'I'm so high and this is poignant' shit that closes the album about how 'evil rich people' are going to get ate.
>>
>>60386729
I don't know where you're getting the information to make such sweeping claims

it seems obvious to me that if you are an empathetic & privileged human being who is aware of this, you're bound to feel at least somewhat guilty about your status

>inb4 there's no such thing as white privilege
>>
>>60386729
Sjw detected, but nah I'm like 98% sure you're trolling
>>
>>60379291
>>60379358
>>60379805

See: https://youtu.be/VUC_DOhfzwQ

>I have no valid arguments for why this album is bad so I will make up excuses for my contrarianism
>>
>>60386802
I do understand but white people love to associate being empathetic and compassionate to other non white people is "white guilt!!!!!!1!!!!!!!"

>inb4 autists reply angrily to you
>>
>>60386661
this is the most valid complaint
>>
>>60386803
>muh sjw boogeyman
Nope, I'm being serious
>>
are there stems out for it yet?
>>
>>60386828
granted; "white guilt" seems like a buzzword to dismiss complicated feelings about class & race
>>
File: 51sne9Cls0L.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51sne9Cls0L.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
>>60386750
I think you might be overlooking a lot of the more subtle pieces of it, because there's some really smart stuff on there. In the beginning of Hood Politics, the sample that has someone saying "Don't tell me they have you on some weird alt-rap shit, no socks and skinny jeans..." (the condemnation of political rap, it's usually considered weird backpacker shit) before Kendricks lyrics "I don't give a fuck about politics in rap" that's followed immediately by him talking about only caring about "going hard on the dead homies". He's being critical of rappers who act like rapping about politics is corny, but then mourn the deaths and imprisonment of their friends, things that are tied strongly to politics. Also coming to mind is the really observant reference to Invisible Man on King Kunta.

A lot of the album is from perspectives other than his own, a lot of really bitter sarcasm. I'm not saying it has a million layers or is a super complex literary work, but there's some cool stuff going on.

Black on Both Sides is an excellent black nationalistic themed album, much better than TPAB in my opinion
>>
>>60386661
damn...
>>
>>60386856
How can you be so misinformed as to believe all white people are racists. I am lmao
Jesus christ, the while "white guilt is an oxymoron" thing is a meme. Where you one of the people opposed to the whole #ISaluteWhitePeople thing too?
> white ppl neva done muffin
>>
File: morty.jpg (84 KB, 794x708) Image search: [Google]
morty.jpg
84 KB, 794x708
>>60386661
Cringy
>>
>>60387128
kill yourself
>>
>>60387075
Why are you pulling implications out of your asshole?
White guilt is an oxymoron and the people that love to use the white guilt meme don't have anything to resort to so they meme.
>>
>>60378955
it's good, but it's too long. a few tracks could've been removed and it would've had the same impact.
>>
>>60379175
>muh poetry
Yea, I guess it was a little gimmicky. Didn't really ruin the record, though. Just a minor thing that was easy to ignore
>muh tupac
I actually thought it was a little cool how he managed to integrate actual old Tupac interview questions for his record. Again, a bit gimmicky, but very easy to dismiss. Didn't really impact the music.
>muh jazz
How is this a bad thing. If you personally don't like jazz, that's OK, but I don't see how it's really negative in this case.
>implying anyone who likes it isn't licking pitchforks sweaty sjw taint
"If Pitchfork gives it a high review, you're not allowed to like it."
>>
>>60387135
Okay... how in any way is white guilt an oxymoron? Pitchfork fag
>>
>>60387171
Read the thread.
Also good p4k boogeyman you dumb faggot.
>>
>>60387192
Still not fully convinced you're being serious senpai
>>
>>60387192
Also are you black or privileged self-hating white?
>>
>>60387222
Take it seriously or not, it's an oxymoron either way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>60387238
That's not relevant.
>self hating whites
nonexistent
>>
Kendrick loves to talk about his influences, but there’s no synthesis. He’s excessively complicating sub-genres that worked before songs that felt vital because of their simplicity and directness. And it's not the correct time of complication.

He bogs himself down in tedious abstractions and "deep messages" meant for Rap Genius, which funny enough is where this album gets praised to shit.

Shit like Aquemini at least had coherent narratives, closest thing we get to a narrative on here is a conversation with a homeless guy who turns out to be Jesus

The album is nowhere NEAR as innovative as people think: the blending of jazz, funk, and soul has been a cliche of "conscious" hip hop since the fucking 90s. Examples: Electric Circus, Kamaal the Abstract, Phrenology. And like TPAB, they all traded tight songwriting for atmosphere.

Kendrick’s shielded himself from criticism under the cover of “experimentation” and ambition. If you don’t “get it,” there’s an easy refuge in saying the album is avant-garde even if that’s not entirely true.

Did you guys know Lucy is a metaphor for Lucifer? I remember you was conflicted, PAC PAC PAC!
>>
>>60387240
You realize you haven't really supported your argument in any way right?
>>
>>60387264
There is no argument you nerd. You realized that this isn't a debate, right?
>>
>>60387251
Butt-hurt black it is?
>>
>>60387253
>Shit like Aquemini at least had coherent narratives, closest thing we get to a narrative on here is a conversation with a homeless guy who turns out to be Jesus

It wasn't supposed to be a concept album, why do narrative lyrics matter?
>>
>>60387293
Nah.
>>
>>60387285
Well if you're gonna throw rediculous claims around I'd think you would have something to back it up
>>
>>60378955
It was called original even though all it did was rip off Erykah Badu's New Amerykah
>>
>>60387317
Then maybe you should as well.
>>
>>60378955
Realistically the lyrics are bad and it has several filler tracks

>>60379064
These Walls is literally one of the most captivating songs on the album.

>>60379663
Accurate

Also is it really too much to ask for a jazz influenced rap album where the lyrics aren't "GOLLY I SURE HATE WHITE PEOPLE"?
>>
>>60387301
Uh.

Dude? The tracks follow a story, building upon Kendrick's dismissal of the evils of fame and fortune, and his acceptance of his role in the modern black rights movement.

It might not be as conceptual as GKMC, but there is a narrative.
>>
>>60378955
the songs aren't good
the lyrics are great
message is great

kendrick can't make an album filled with good songs, just a couple

the 2 that were good on this were these walls and alright

but that's just my opinion
>>
>>60378955
I dont like how boring and samey the whole album is

if you dont care about black people, you wont care about any of the words on this album
>>
how the fuck are people commenting on the quality of this album when they are typing shit like "his delivery was bad" and "x song serves no purpose or the track list should be this"

It's like the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen that people write this tripe on the fucking internet of all places, how can people just come on here and tell lies and pretend they have knowledge or objective opinions based in experience and understanding
>>
>>60387428
welcome to /mu/
>>
File: tumblr_mfdu2hHVAf1qksk74o1_500.jpg (99 KB, 472x629) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mfdu2hHVAf1qksk74o1_500.jpg
99 KB, 472x629
>>60387381
Lmao dude I'm blazed and tired, been fun rustling each other's Jimmies or whatever. night buddy, have a good one
>>
>>60386663
This

People who say that no black person likes Kendrick themselves probably don't get out much or interact with many of them. I work around plenty and most of them at least know who he is.
>>
>>60387490
>he was high as hell
Then why even reply to me?
Jesus man.
Have a good night though.
>>
>>60387428
The pretentiousness level of this board is truly surreal.
>>
>>60379358
lmao you haven't talked to a black person in your life have you?

Actual flaw to this album is that its too long. The songs are great, but it sticks to hard to its "formula"

Lyrically I probably cant find a flaw. Production is holding it back a bit

>gimmicky ass bottle clinks on "u"
>generic half-assed j cole beat on "you aint gotta lie"
>complexion beat holding it back a bit. Should have a soul sample in there or something
>>
>>60378955
Only part I really thought was corny and lame as fuck was Tupac in Mortal Man. Made me cringe.
>>
>>60378955
for free (interlude)
>>
>tries to be an "Artist" with a message
>comes off as a grandstanding dilettante
>>
NIGGER ALBUM
>>
File: 1434147210215.png (333 KB, 660x601) Image search: [Google]
1434147210215.png
333 KB, 660x601
>"I'm a white, middle-class, suburban, college-aged male. I have never seen a black person in my life. If you told me that black people are a myth, a mere legend told to us white children to make sure we stay in school and stay away from drugs, I would not be able to provide proof otherwise. I can without a doubt confirm that literally 0 black people listened to To Pimp A Butterfly, nor do they ever listen to Kendrick Lamar."

You idiots blow me away sometimes.
>>
>this
>dick
>ain't
>free
>>
>>60390223
>>60389302
>>
File: puddin.jpg (22 KB, 309x339) Image search: [Google]
puddin.jpg
22 KB, 309x339
>He gave us puddin' pops, you think he raped those girls?
>When shit hit the fan, is you still a fan?
>>
>>60378955
All the gay black people on the cover, content of the music. Overall hip hop and rap is a homosexual genre for dude on dude ass pirates.
>>
>>60379414
I'm listening to it right now bruv
>>
>>60379663
The delivery wasn't bad
Beat selection was terrible; should have used the Cap Murphy beats.
Conceptually boring, preachy, and pretentious
Pretty much I agree
>>
>>60379643
Outkast?
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.