[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you write/play music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 4493570460_c591bbd58e_z.jpg (159 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
4493570460_c591bbd58e_z.jpg
159 KB, 640x426
Is it because you want other to think you're interesting or cool? Maybe to attract a cute bf/gf? To make friends? To make money?

Be honest.
>>
I want to create something that means something to me

I want an outlet to express my feelings/cathartic release

I want to feel like I have a reason to exist
>>
>>60372677
For the joy of creation
only three people I have ever met in real life even know I make music
>>
it makes me feel not so worthless

I dont feel like there's enough people actually creating good content anymore

im inspired by a lot of other musicians so why not?
>>
its one of the few thing I can actually enjoy

I have a huge problem enjoying things
>>
because it feels great to add another song/album to the pile of great songs and albums. I legitimately enjoy my own music, which is a pretty big ego boost when music makes up most of what you care about. It's easy to get depressed about shit, and it's good to have a reminder that "fuck you, I'm awesome"
>>
>>60372677

During writing is the only time I feel totally free.

Finishing a song is the most satisfying feeling i've experienced.

Playing gigs has opened me up to meeting a lot of people who became truly dear to me where as before I couldn't relate as strongly to the people I was meeting day to day.

My grandmother(pianist 55 years) listens to my music and it makes her happy that her love of music will live in our family through me after she's gone.

It's also fun.
>>
I can relate to every post in this thread. You all genuinely sound like you are involved in music for the right reasons. Much love fellow music e-bros
>>
because it's fun
that's it
>>
The songs I write are mostly melancholic or sad and I honestly think it keeps/makes me happier, don't have to wallow in my sadness my entire life I can use music as an outlet for it. Also I fucking love the feeling and rush you get for playing live in front of people.
>>
File: 1447450499209.jpg (173 KB, 953x960) Image search: [Google]
1447450499209.jpg
173 KB, 953x960
Music I want to listen to hasn't been made yet.

Yes, I'm autistic.
>>
simply because its fun

i can get into a music-making trance and be tuned in for hours, only breaking concentration to piss and maybe smoke a spliff if i need to refresh my perspective

its a really healthy thing in my opinion. sound is very expressive and i think its a good break from reality.

if i end up with a good song at the end of the process, then that is great, but just fucking around and experimenting with sound is a ton of fun
>>
i play music entirely for myself. it makes me feel like i can be in my own world where i am in complete control over my own emotions, thoughts, ideas, through my music without having to try and explain myself. it's like being a child and thinking the picture you drew was really good and you're showing it to yourself and you can tell that child whatever you want and it will believe it
>>
If you think people actually do the stuff in the OP, then you've probably never played an instrument. I do it because the creation process is fun and I love seeing the end result of something I've created.
>>
I don't tell people or sell it or even post it online so it's definitely not for any of the reasons you listed. I just do it for me
>>
Because I'm picky and I just make music I'd want to listen to.
>>
for all the pussy, money and the fame
>>
>>60372677
I don't find in any band the music I like at all. So I created my own band to make the kind of music I want to hear.
>>
>>60372715
>>60372748
these

also its fun to learn doing so
>>
>>60372707
first two lines I agree
last one not so much
but yeah, that's pretty much it
>>
Is starting a rock band pointless?
>>
>>60372677
Fuck it, I've always made music since I was a kid. People have always liked my voice, liked my style. Why not? Sometimes I get all freaked out that I won't amount to anything but music is my resignation from that fear, its my ultimate fuck you to my deep seated fears of fading into nothing and never being known after my death. If I become noteworthy, so be it, but if not, I still had fun.
>>
>>60374088
I should probably explain it better.

When I'm writing or performing I feel as though that it echoes through time and space, and in that moment I'm not dead and won't ever die, I'm just lost in sounds. It also doesn't hurt that music on multiple occasions has gotten me blown or fucked in public areas which is my fetish.
>>
>>60372707
>>60372715
>>60372993
>>60373461
>>60373791
>>60374088
these. i love you guys, and hope that youre music ends up being impactful.

Personally i love the feeling of putting together an album. Being in control of how it is shaped, and the material that makes the cut is rewarding. Especially as you get closer to finishing/releasing it.

Also in a couple bands but the creative freedom when making youre own music is a pretty awesome feeling
>>
Girls are impressed if I can strum a few chords and play wonderwall
>>
I create music cos it's in my head. I upload it to bandcamp to download for free cos I see no material wealth to be gained from it.
>>
>>60372677
I don't even know anymore man, probably just to create something that makes me feel better about myself.
There's also the daydream of touring and performing in front of people and groupies and all that, but I don't think that'll happen with the kind of shoegaze/noise rock my band makes.
>>
Music is fun. It's a nice stress reliever and social outlet. I love to play in my band.
>>
beauty itself is one of the most meaningful and amazing things i've found, and the feeling of creating something beautiful, and being wrapped up in a project that i'm completely in control of are incredible
>>
because why not
>>
>>60372677
music is a urge

sometimes i'm out, smoking a cigarette, and a melody/sound come in my mind, and it's beautiful, and i FUCKING know that if i don't play it instantly it will get lost

also music make me feel powerful, if the result is good
>>
it's fun and satisfying
i'm actually really sick that all my family finds to say about it is "damn girls gonna love that"
>>
because i like to hit the drum, i like to feel the way my actions cause the air around me to make my mind cause sounds. the harmonic ring of the it when i stop is my favorite sound. also it helps me remove myself from my mind.
>>
Compulsion.
>>
i don't know why, but the only time i feel like i can really cope with the reality of what i am is when i play (or hear) something that i genuinely like and find interesting. might sound kinda pretentious or whatever, but its true.
>>
>>60375227
to add to that, its because music is really just art about nothing if you take away lyrics. there isn't a subject and there isn't a purpose or some kind of ends aside from pleasing the senses and/or conveying emotion. it just is.
>>
I love making music, but in a totally non-emotional or cathartic way. I've got next to nothing i need to express that I can't just say

I do it to build something greater than the sum of it's parts I guess
>>
File: 800px-Buchla_Music_Easel.jpg (132 KB, 800x596) Image search: [Google]
800px-Buchla_Music_Easel.jpg
132 KB, 800x596
>started a piano class through my CC in September

Music helped me through 2 years of intense anxiety (social and general), depression, and some agoraphobia (although I wasn't diagnosed as agoraphobic).

Basically, I owe a lot to music and I love it. I want to show my appreciation for it by learning about it. It sounds cliche but I legitimately don't know where I'd be right now without it. At the very least, I'd be even more of a mess than I already am.

The mental and social benefits are just icing on the cake for me.
>>
>>60373477
relate most to this one
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.