[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Tribe Called Quest just performed on Jimmy Fallon. If you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: serveimage.jpg (54 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
54 KB, 1280x960
A Tribe Called Quest just performed on Jimmy Fallon. If you've seen the documentary you know Q-Tip and Phife Dawg have a lot of issues.

Unfortunately the way they avoided each other on stage makes it pretty apparent that this was just a one-off and there's zero chance of any new stuff coming. I hope Q-Tip actually releases an album with Kanye though, seems to be taking a long ass time.
>>
man I remember listening to the memed record that right now I can't even recall the name I think it was eponymous though and man was it drab. like I feel ATCQ is the equivalent of idk Radiohead or similar not-really-art-rock bands where fans hear one thing slightly off base like the bass in ATCQ and think WOW THIS IS SO DIFFERENT AND ORIGINAL when really the music is just as bland and unashamedly boring as the rest of hip hop
>>
>>60368393
Here's your (You). :^)
>>
>>60368393
Their flows, and lyrics are pretty distinct. Laid back yet witty. Q-Tip is easily a top 5 MC.
>>
>>60368430
>laid back yet witty
yeah but how does that affect the compositions see this is the issue I have in discussing rap is that most people don't know or don't want to discuss anything musical about them because of course they're only listening to the lyrics and the attitude of the vocalists which in my mind is very shallow but it's what you have to expect from an art form born out of the lower classes
>>
>>60368470
Bait. Not worth my time.
>>
>>60368470
give this man a medal of righteousness, rise sir anon, Gallant champion of /mu/, if you on our side the war can still be won.
>>
>>60368362
they've already reunited again? I thought they made a big deal about their yeezus tour appearance being the LAST ONE EVER

they'd never make a new record together though, which is probably for the best - I'd rather hear q-tip's new solo that he's been working on for like 4 years
>>
>>60368560
This isn't Reddit, stop upvoting your own post.
>>
>>60368650
>can't into post ironical humour
you must be a hit in parties xD
>>
>>60368470
well, if you want to talk musically, a lot of the production on the album is interesting, because he would sample jazz, which wouldn't be in 4/4 time, chopping it up and often use 3 bar loops in order to fit into a typical 4/4 hip hop beat
good example is how he chopped the art blakey on this, probably my fave song off the album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZWS6CITutY
>>
>>60368416
KEK
>>
>>60368470
>>60368489
forgot to mention I also hate discussing rap because immature fans just try to meme their ways out instead of justifying their opinions
comes with the immaturity though
>>60368996
sampling jazz is neat but having it fit into conventional 4/4 isn't
certainly not in 1991
>>
>>60368996
also not so much compositional as it is recording engineering, but amazing drum processing, like layering snare sounds and other tricks to get a really tough sound
there's a reason the low end theory is so widely imitated production-wise
also, anyone here heard the georgie porgie demo? embarassing stuff lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKcZb5LufE
>>60369024
to each their own i guess, both the low end theory and midnight marauders is pretty much the apex of sampling jazz in hip hop
but for me, this is the gold standard, but also prod by q-tip ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjd7EbUUds8
the way in which he chopped up the heath brothers sample is incredible, makes djs really angry cause it's hard to blend because of the swing lol
>>
>>60369064
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKcZb5LufE
oh jesus fucking christ

dropped immediately into the trash
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.