[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
albums you don't 'get'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: spiderland cover.jpg (46 KB, 628x628) Image search: [Google]
spiderland cover.jpg
46 KB, 628x628
i didn't hate this /mu/ but i don't really see what the fuss is about, am i just missing something?
>>
>>60365130
are you into punk/emo/hardcore at all
>>
Babbies first post-hardcore. If you're over 18 and have had the chance to listen to more than 50 albums, then Spiderland has no reason to blow you away.
>>
File: take a look at these hands.jpg (64 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
take a look at these hands.jpg
64 KB, 300x300
>>60365130
listen and read the lyrics
good morning captain is goat
>>
It was a pioneer for Post-rock.

Velvet Underground paved the way, then Slint and Talk Talk more or less created the genre.

Its not a standout album now. I like a few songs from it though.
>>
File: 1446938103087.jpg (436 KB, 1409x1431) Image search: [Google]
1446938103087.jpg
436 KB, 1409x1431
As a thing that exists I think it's entertaining, but not really as music. There's a few scattered good bits in it, but the rest just doesn't click with me.
>>
>>60365130
find me two albums that sound like it before 1991

>>60365173
Fela Kuti but with Eno production, heavy anti-colonialism lyrics, and fucking Adrian Belew guitar solos

>>60365182
no, it's very much a standout album now. That's like saying The Jesus Lizard isn't standout because everyone does noise rock the way they did it

>>60365244
this one literally just takes time. If you focus on just one part of a song, be it the guitar throughout or the lyrics, it gets better and better

My Human Gets Me Blues was blowing my ass sky high. Some of those rhythm guitar chords were straight punk/post-punk
>>
>>60365290
>no, it's very much a standout album now.

I find it to be a pretty boring album overall at this point.

I like the murder vibe it gives off and I enjoy the story but the pacing is pretty shit.
>>
>>60365244
patience and attention. don't browse /mu/ while listening, just sit down and pay attention to it. Don't treat it like a chore though, because it is a fun album once it clicks
>>
>>60365305
stop letting the Seinfeld effect delude you

For Dinner is arguably the one place where it lags, but if you don't think the entirety of Breadcrumb Trail, Washer, and Good Morning Captain are anything less than GOAT, you're spittin shit
>>
>>60365347
The Seinfeld effect implies I had been hyped up about the album prior to listening to it. I wasn't.

I knew very little about it going into it.

I still think its a great album. It just would never be one of my favorites at this point in time.

Its okay for us to disagree.
>>
>>60365130
the instrumentation is brilliant and original (especially the guitarwork), the spoken word vocals are a unique touch for an album of this genre, and above all else, the overall atmosphere is incredibly intriguing

you should read the 33 1/3 book on Spiderland - it goes into the history and the making of Spiderland, and even details some of the bands songwriting methods. i also recommend the documentary breadcrumb trail. it may sound like they're more for slint fans, but i think the book and the DVD can help you gain a better appreciation of the band's music
>>
>>60365130
It's not for you then. It's the point where punk figured out how to go from quiet to loud, and how to combine emotion with aggression without being whiny.

>>60365152
>babbies first anything
you're thinking of Big Black

>>60365244
Listen to Safe As Milk first, then try this. Imagine being an unwashed beatnik while listening to it, imagine the last 40 years of music never happened.
>>
>>60365244
Does it at least make you think about what you're hearing? That counts for something IMO
>>
>>60365130
Try listening to Tweez beforehand. Also listen to Washer as a standalone track rather than in the context of the album.
>>
>>60365130
its just considered a seminal album in punk. what itaots did for folk and bring the into the pop-esque sort or range it made the genre of punk & 'emotive hardcore' able to say the same sort of things (alienation etc) with a different sort of sound. it's interesting, but it's okay if it's not your thing.
>>
>>60365130
I really like this, but what's with the post-rock label? I probably just don't know enough about post-hardcore to differentiate that from whatever Slint's doing, but please explain.
>>
>>60365871
idk
>>
>>60365871
It's not post-rock but some idiots think a genre mustn't have even ONE THING in common with another
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.