[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point does sampling stop being "stealing"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: screaming moe yui.jpg (198 KB, 800x994) Image search: [Google]
screaming moe yui.jpg
198 KB, 800x994
At what point does sampling stop being "stealing"?

And don't give me the obvious music licensing/royalty answer.
>>
>>60359090
When the sample is reincorporated into a new work
>>
File: konata stretch.jpg (105 KB, 584x800) Image search: [Google]
konata stretch.jpg
105 KB, 584x800
It's stealing when used in rap music. Make of that whatever you will.
>>
As long as you give the artist(s) credit, it's not stealing. It's that simple
>>
>>60359118
Its more complicated than that kid
>>
>>60359141
yeah I knew it was but this is an anonymous image board so I don't give a shit if what I say is wrong or right lol
>>
>>60359118
So, what if the sampled artist is credited but they weren't asked beforehand, and they feel like their music was stolen?
>>
>>60359176
Oh yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. Ask them first, don't just credit them
>>
File: yui does the cute thing3.gif (636 KB, 500x545) Image search: [Google]
yui does the cute thing3.gif
636 KB, 500x545
>tfw your entire musical output is entirely made up of other people's music
>tfw you don't even have any VSTs installed
>>
it really depends on what part of the song you use, and how well the song you're sampling stands without that part. if you take the main riff of a one riff song, that's stealing. if you take a few bars of drums from the start, a transition sound, or even a few instrumental bars of something vocal-focused, i wouldn't call that sealing.
this is opinion though, and i'm not exactly the one who makes these rules.
>>
>>60359208

Do you release it for free at least?
>>
>>60359366
I will when I have enough material to fill an album.
>>
File: 1446507175121.jpg (21 KB, 250x352) Image search: [Google]
1446507175121.jpg
21 KB, 250x352
>>60359175
My nigga
>>
You can just add an amen break over some blandly edited classical strings and you have yourself a new venetian snares track.

The less obvious the sample cuts in the better.
>>
>>60359175
12 Years old
>>
It's never stealing. You can do whatever you want in music. Whether it'll sound good, if anyone cares about it or respects it, or if it says something about your artistic skill is another question
>>
>>60359114
what about Paul's Boutique?
>>
Once it becomes your own, and you've been creative enough to make it your own
>>
>heavily using a sample to the point that it dominates the song, trying to pass it off as your own
This is bad.

>incorporating a sample for an effect to create something new and original
That's a-okay.
>>
>>60359208
hello macross
>>
vaporwave is essentially stealing other peoples songs and slowing them down. vaporwave also relabels the songs to some japanese text.

also led zepplin for the longest time settled most copyright ingringement out of court and had to reissue reprints of the original artists name on the songs.

rap at least changes things and adds a flavor
>>
>>60359208
>VSTs installed

you do know that when you buy software you ultimately have the license to use them?
>>
>>60363333
What if you didn't buy it either?
>>
>>60363352
you dont have the license to you them in your release.
>>
>>60363382
sounds fair, i don't use vsts anyway.
>>
>implying you can own a sound
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.