[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I went to a Sufjan Stevens Concert last night. Carrie and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
So I went to a Sufjan Stevens Concert last night. Carrie and Lowell, while emotional, Always felt a little subdued, but I still enjoyed it. So going in, I didn't know what to expect. (Well, except for a cover of a Drake song).

I really didn't expect how noisy it was going to be, which really uplifted the concert for me. Like, Blue Buckets of Gold is already a sad song, but add in the 3-4 minutes of angelic choral aftermath to it, then have a rising sense of urgency begin which leads to what can only be described as 7 minutes of sensory overload. Was a really nice concert and I would recommend seeing a show even if you disliked Carrie and Lowell.
>>
this isn't copypasta?

jesus christ the reddit invasion is real
>>
this isn't copypasta?

>>
this isn't copypasta?

>>
>>60353224
>>60353238
>how dare somebody like something or recommend something

I'm not even a fan of Sufjan, but jesus christ you guys are pathetic. Lighten up. Stop being such fedoras.
>>
>>60353270
this isn't copypasta?

>>
File: fedora.png (353 KB, 428x422) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
353 KB, 428x422
>>60353276
yeah bruh i can respond with a meme too xD do a barrel roll! #triggered
>>
>>60353289
this isn't copypasta?

>>
>>60353224
>>60353238
>>60353266
>>60353276
Just saying. It was a lot better of a concert than I would have expected. It was a really neat experience.
>>
>>60353218
you see him in Louisville? I was there and thought it was pretty great. Wish people weren't sitting down the entire time though, even though I see why people didn't stand up, since it was such a low key concert. I also didn't know what to expect going in, since I don't really listen to Sufjan all that much, but it was really enjoyable actually. Real comfy. Would definitely go see him again if I ever got the chance. I thought the Hotline Bling cover was nice closer too. Like he said, it was nice to play a upbeat song after a night of singing about death
>>
>>60353814
I did in fact. It was pretty cool. There was this girl sitting next to me when they would go in to the more 'improvisational' bits that would just cover her ears. Like she just seemed to hate all the different instruments. Especially on Vesuvius. You travel very far to see him?
>>
>>60353875
>There was this girl sitting next to me when they would go in to the more 'improvisational' bits that would just cover her ears.
Haha what the fuck. Never seen a Sufjan show, but I seriously doubt it being very hard to listen to.
>>
>>60353984
I mean if you hear Carrie & Lowell and just want to listen to gentle folk rock I guess it would be off putting. It's like hearing Joanna Newsom and then you go see her live and for some reason Justin Broadrick comes out to help her perform Baby Birch. (Or maybe not I'm just speaking out my ass)
>>
>>60354068
Well, I can see what you mean. Not sure about the comparison tho. Actually did see Joanna Newsom last week, and since she's a much more experimental musician, I doubt people would be surprised by experimentation (tho I don't know who Justin Broadrick is).
What I was trying to say is that I can't imagine the experimentation at a Sufjan Stevens show being all that experimental. But I'm just talking out my ass too anon.
>>
>>60353218
Driving four hours to Cincinnati to see him tonight. Worth it?
>>
>>60354153
Honestly worth it just for the 15-20 minute version of Blue buckets of Gold that closes the show.
>>
>>60353875
haha to me they weren't bad at all, the noisy interludes were personally my favorite segments of the show, but, I mean, I can see how someone who just likes his folksy stuff to find it sort of off putting. I traveled up from Lexington, about an hour away to see him. definitely worth it
>>
Is this pasta?
>>
it really is the greatest album of all time
>>
>>60353984
The live version of Blue Bucket of Gold gets pretty intense. It culminates with this like several minute long noisey post rock swell.

Sufjan has always dabbled with experimental stuff. Age of Adz was pretty offputting to a lot of people when it came out, not to mention the minimalist Phillip Glass-esque stuff from Michigan and Illinois.
>>
>>60353814
well, i think sufjan does seated theaters for a reason. i think it's more fitting to watch slower stuff and folky stuff like that. the best show i ever went to was sun kil moon, angel olsen, and hundred waters in an old church where everyone was seated in pews and deathly quiet.
>>
>>60357658
I imagine Mark Kozelek in a church is a tad bit of a joke isn't it?
>>
>>60359310
probably. it was more about mood though, it was a pitchfork showcase.
>>
did he play his smash hit hotline bling tho
>>
>>60359521
Oh he sure did. With pictures of Drake plastering the concert hall. It was majestic.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.